Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saints Row

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 25, 2021, 07:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

If I played SR4 without playing any of the others, would it make sense in of itself, or is it all in-jokes about the series, intended for people who were there from the start?

oggyraiding

Quote from: Mister Six on November 19, 2021, 04:27:29 PMIf I played SR4 without playing any of the others, would it make sense in of itself, or is it all in-jokes about the series, intended for people who were there from the start?
You'd miss out on the backstories of some key characters, so when you recruit them in game it'll have less impact, but it's not so bogged down in lore that it's incomprehensible.

The Culture Bunker

Never played the first one, but picked up SR2 by chance years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Three was quite fun - liked the Burt Reynolds cameo - but not bothered with any since then. 'Gatt Out of Hell' was on PS+ ages back, so I could play it whenever, but never got round to bothering.

madhair60

Quote from: oggyraiding on November 19, 2021, 04:34:17 PMYou'd miss out on the backstories of some key characters, so when you recruit them in game it'll have less impact, but it's not so bogged down in lore that it's incomprehensible.

Honestly I would have to disagree. So, so much of SR4 hinges on previous games, including full-mission callbacks.

It's fun as fuck but a lot of it will be pretty much confusing.

Thursday

I played SR4 without playing SR3 and, a few things were weird, but I feel like you pick up on it. The only baffling thing is all the Johnny Gat stuff. "You're like who is the prick, and why does everyone think he's so amazing?" Although that might be true if you played 3 as well.

You're playing for the fun superpowers where you run up buildings etc, more than the story.

H-O-W-L

I'd say at least SR3 is required. If you've got a console there's no reason not to play SR2 though. The PC port is abysmal and sadly will never be fixed now that IdolNinja's dead.

Thursday

Ignore them all Mister Six, you don't want to play mediocre SR2 or 3 just go to the one actually fun one.

I mean admittedly that isn't fair because I never played 3, but you definitely don't need to play 2.

Rev+

Quote from: Thursday on November 20, 2021, 09:15:06 AMI played SR4 without playing SR3 and, a few things were weird, but I feel like you pick up on it. The only baffling thing is all the Johnny Gat stuff. "You're like who is the prick, and why does everyone think he's so amazing?" Although that might be true if you played 3 as well.

Johnny Gat isn't really in SR3, and it's a bit mystifying when he comes back in the next one and is just some dick.

Don't attempt SR2 on PC, just don't.  Even with the mods it looks and plays terribly.  3 and 4 are both great games, with 4 pretty much being an intentionally corrupted version of 3.

The lack of obvious changes in gameplay with the new one don't bother me, because if I wanted a different kind of gameplay I'd play a different kind of game.  'This new Pacman still has mazes in it' isn't much of an argument.  What is maybe more interesting is that there's a film that's been in development for a while, and this does look a bit like there's been interaction between that and the new game in order for them to be on the same page.

samadriel

Quote from: Mister Six on November 19, 2021, 04:27:29 PMIf I played SR4 without playing any of the others, would it make sense in of itself, or is it all in-jokes about the series, intended for people who were there from the start?

It makes a big deal of certain characters that must have been important in prior games, but SRIV was my first, and I still really enjoyed it, both in gameplay and story. The city design is a bit small and crap, but blasting your way all over it with your superpowers is great fun nonetheless.

Mister Six

Cheers, I'll see if I can get it cheapish in the Black Friday sales on the PlayStation store.

The Crumb

New one looks hilariously bad. I wish there was a decent modern GTA alternative.

Steven88

It's a pity the PC port is shit because Saints Row 2 is easily the best in the series.

Pink Gregory

Do I recall correctly that the original Saints Row was a very, very long game?

I remember checking out after finishing one of the three gang storylines because I couldn't stomach going and doing largely the same drive-o shoot-o two more times.

H-O-W-L

Yes, SR1 and 2 are deceptively long. Far longer than the average GTA of the era, though not as long as SA I suppose.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 21, 2021, 11:40:16 PMDo I recall correctly that the original Saints Row was a very, very long game?

I remember checking out after finishing one of the three gang storylines because I couldn't stomach going and doing largely the same drive-o shoot-o two more times.
I recall having to change the difficulty of the final mission in SR1 because I couldn't for the life of me complete it. It was pretty long, I guess?

I remember playing SR2 on a PC with all the "Gentlemen of the Row" mods installed, which made it a much more pleasant experience, and they'd even tried to program one of the bonus missions that wasn't on the PC version, but it was a bit of a mess.

Love em all, of course, I've played 2, 3 and 4 more times than I care to remember. I remember, after completing 3 for the first time, just seeing how long I could keep up the max wanted rating (eventually, you blow so many things up so quickly, that if you've selected "increased cop cooldown" as an ability, you really can't maintain the highest rating all that long).

madhair60

I really disliked how in SR4 if you cause enough carnage you get thrown into a boring fight with a Warden and winning that resets everything.

H-O-W-L

Agreed, I wish the Warden fights were scripted events. They lose all their threat and intrigue when they can appear so frequently but rigidly. If they were like Nemesis in that they could appear at any time it'd be better, but being able to summon them on your terms rather than have them show up either at specific plot points, or at random, removes all potential intrigue or fear of them.

madhair60

Yeah absolutely, it's just a shame for me that it ends everything when you beat one. There's already the notoriety wipe on the phone so if I wanted that I'd just use it.

Still love SR4 though. And Agents of Mayhem, which I'll always go to bat for just because of the effortlessly diverse cast and incredible depth of their interactions.