Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Them old games you loved

Started by kalowski, October 10, 2021, 08:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Boy I loved Saboteur on the 48k Speccy. Loved it. Would love a PS4 reboot.

evilcommiedictator

Needs to be upscaled to 4K with 7.1 surround beeps

Yeah, I loved it! You can get it on steam, it's got new levels and stuff apparently - https://store.steampowered.com/app/940150/Saboteur/
The second one where you played as a woman as well.

madhair60

Famous Mortimer

The C64 was my machine as a kid, and there's a few old games I still love.

Head Over Heels

I discovered that you can play this in a browser, which (a little bit) blows my mind, even though I know it's over 30 years old. Lovely puzzly game.

Mercenary

This is still being remade. A version of the 2nd and 3rd games in the series has been made that's compatible with the Oculus Rift, and all the shapes have filled in graphics now.

Pink Gregory

my particular area of deep nostalgia is for freeware games and demos acquired from Macworld magazine (which I think my Dad got through work somehow) cover discs.

All your Ambrosia Software guys.  A game about mixing cocktails in which you could make people puke by serving tham a collins glass of triple sec.  Panzer General but with colourfully suited prohibition era gangsters.  A demo of Carmageddon.  Whatever the hell Galapagos was.  Crashing every 20 minutes and having to hard reset the old Power Mac G3.  Such days. 

badaids

Quote from: kalowski on October 10, 2021, 08:41:58 PM
Boy I loved Saboteur on the 48k Speccy. Loved it. Would love a PS4 reboot.

Ah, another visitor! Stay a while... stay forever!

madhair60

Quote from: kalowski on October 11, 2021, 06:43:53 AM
Holy fuck! You're kidding me!

Haha I was like "is this a bit??"

But yes, it exists. Haha

kalowski

Quote from: madhair60 on October 11, 2021, 09:39:08 AM
Haha I was like "is this a bit??"

But yes, it exists. Haha
I mean, obviously it'll be disappointing but I'll still play it.

boki

bgmnts

First game I ever remember playing was on the AMSTRAD games console. Bit of research suggests it may have been the GX4000.

I just have memories of Altered Beast. That one graveyard/mausoleum level over and over, those horrible sounds when you turn into a wolfman and the scary as fuck boss whatever this is meant to be:

My first game would have been something on the vectrex.
Scramble, spike, Fortress of narzod, web wars, clean sweep, star trek. Total bangers.

I remember the first game I played when I got my speccy was caves of doom. I remember it being effing nails! - https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum/Map/big/Caves_of_Doom_-_1985_-_Mastertronic.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-dbmx1_t8

When I look back, I went from this

to this

The vectrex controller was just like a mini arcade stick for kids. Good practise :D

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2021, 12:02:25 PM
First game I ever remember playing was on the AMSTRAD games console. Bit of research suggests it may have been the GX4000.

I just have memories of Altered Beast. That one graveyard/mausoleum level over and over, those horrible sounds when you turn into a wolfman and the scary as fuck boss whatever this is meant to be:

"Wise fwom yaw gwaaave"

kalowski

I know it's just another thread where we post nostalgic pictures, sorry about that, but since I'm still here

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 11, 2021, 02:05:45 AMThe C64 was my machine as a kid, and there's a few old games I still love.

Head Over Heels

Oh yes, had it for the Speccy an absolute cracker.

Famous Mortimer

And I just remembered "Sentinel", which I got to the end of when I was a kid (I worked out the best amount of energy to beam you the most number of levels ahead) and how I thought the way it looped round to the beginning again was quite good fun, as games didn't really have big endings back then anyway - the programmer said he didn't bother programming an ending as he never thought anyone would play it all the way through.

Famous Mortimer

And I discover that people have done a bunch of new versions of "Sentinel", too, including one from 2005, which I really ought to have heard about.

The floodgates of memory are open, and now I remember all the old Sensible Software games (apart from ..."Soccer", which I never really messed with) Wizball, Shoot-Em-Up Construction Kit, Parallax, Cannon Fodder...

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2021, 08:55:08 PMShoot-Em-Up Construction Kit

Ooh yeah, I made a few things in that! The engine wasn't so great but it was lots of fun messing about with. I can remember spending a lot of time making really elaborate death animations.

Look, this is coming out soon! Looks really good! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289520/SHMUP_Creator/

Jerzy Bondov

The Sentinel was the first game that scared me. I didn't know anything about it, just found it with the games that game with our Atari ST, popped it on, looked around an amazing 3D world. No idea what to do or anything. Hey there's some lad or something looking at me up there. Suddenly everything goes black and this weird fucking figure appears and scary music plays. Slammed the power off and got the disk out fast as fuck.

Sentinel Returns is really good, it's got this creepy 90s grungy vibe that I love.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2021, 08:55:08 PMShoot-Em-Up Construction Kit,
God that brings back memories. I spent ages on it on the Commodore 64. I remember being disappointed with the Amiga version which obviously had better graphical/audio capabilities but a lot less gameplay possibilities.

lazarou

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 15, 2021, 08:55:08 PM
And I discover that people have done a bunch of new versions of "Sentinel", too, including one from 2005, which I really ought to have heard about.

1998's Sentinel Returns is not only a direct sequel but also has an original John Carpenter soundtrack. I'm not sure how well it plays with modern systems though.

GoblinAhFuckScary

they're going to come back in style

QDRPHNC

Was this the first open world driving game? You could run over little stick figures.

Chedney Honks

That's the game that made me want to learn to drive for that very reason

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazarou on October 20, 2021, 06:50:47 PM
1998's Sentinel Returns is not only a direct sequel but also has an original John Carpenter soundtrack. I'm not sure how well it plays with modern systems though.
Oh aye, another favourite (although I didn't play that one as much as the original).

Just had a look at Jeff Minter's Wikipedia page, as I was reminiscing about "Revenge Of The Mutant Camels" thanks to this thread, and discovered this rather excellent recent tidbit:

QuoteAlmost 40 years after its first release, in 2021 Jeff Minter fixed a bug on collision detection in the Commodore 64 version.

Pink Gregory

Minter asleep of a night as usual and unremarkable as any other.

His eyes snap open at 3.06 AM

"Shit!"

Mister Six

Used to love the text adventures you'd get on YS cover tapes from time to time, but they're not very photogenic.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2021, 12:02:25 PM

The boss like Graham Linehan.

Mister Six

Oh, and this thing, Krakout, a sideways Arkanoid in which every level seemed to have a new baddie. Played it an absurd amount, even though one of the early-ish levels had an enemy that would destroy both your ball and bat if the ball touched it, apparently with no defence, which ought to have been a sign I should turn the thing off, but I think I was just too bloody-minded or simply stupid back then.

Consignia