Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How long before you burn out?

Started by bgmnts, October 23, 2021, 02:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I noticed today I have put around 40hrs into Valkyria Chronicles 4 (which is really good I'd recommend) and I realised I got burnt out ages before that but my obsessive desire to beat it made me plough on. Turned out I'm only halfway through so I said fuck it and started on Disco Elysium, which is the best decision I could have made.

Do you ever push through games beyond the point of enjoyment or are you easily able to abandon it for a different game and go back to it a few weeks or months down the line?

GoblinAhFuckScary

burn out in about one hour or less into viddygams now. though i did get a lot out of fallout new vegas a few months ago

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I gave up on Dying Light, Dark Souls and The Witness when I realised how little I was enjoying them. I ragequit Bloodborne after getting stuck at some point near the end, but eventually gave it another go (because it's not boring, like Dark Souls).

Chedney Honks

No trauma dumping here, buddy. Keep it light.

Jerzy Bondov

I have let go of the guilt of abandoning games. Life is too short. Done about five hours of Persona 5 Strikers and it's good but I can just see the whole thing stretching out ahead and you know what I can't be bothered. Off to CEX it goes.

AngryGazelle

So, since buying a PS5 a few months back I have completed two games - Sekiro and Resident Evil 5.

I have started playing Returnal, Metro Exodus and A Plague Tale Innocence but am highly unlikely to complete any of them as they just don't really do it for me. The games I enjoy I tend to get quite obsessed with, but releases like that are rare atm - next year is looking better though.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on October 23, 2021, 02:46:44 PMburn out in about one hour or less into viddygams now.

Have you ever considered the shmup, Goblin?
They should have given you a pamphlet with your first course of estradiol :D

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 23, 2021, 03:12:40 PM
No trauma dumping here, buddy. Keep it light.
Dark Souls is too boring to traumatise.

Glebe

Completed Resident Evil HD Remaster last night as Chris, then started a new game with Jill, got a good way along before having to stop and save, me brain was addled.

letsgobrian

According to my DQ11 save file it's at the 129 hour point. My Yakuza 5 and Yo-kai Watch 2 save files are nodding in agreement. Though Rockstar Social Club argues that it's 54+ days.

evilcommiedictator

I purchased both Slay The Spire and Noita the other day, I've seen like 50 hours of STS on twitch and ~5 of Noita, so I thought I'd give them a go.
I'd torrented an old version of STS a few years ago, but I got a refund after dying three times to the first boss.
Noita at least took be 70 minutes before cracking the shits with it's pointless roguelike difficulty and lack of any idea how things work.

peanutbutter

Basically once I've figured out the general dynamics, after that point with most games it just feels like work.

Any time I encounter something that will obviously be resolved but time will be required tends to put me out too. Played the Witness a few weeks ago and I was GONE the second I got to a puzzle where failing it meant I had to do the one before it too... Like, I get how there's a kind of memory thing going on there that's part of the overall puzzle but the extra level of focus required and the inevitability that I would solve it just made it extremely unappealing.

Worst one ever was probably Okami, the opening video burned me out so badly that I just saved immediately after and never played it again.

beanheadmcginty

If I don't enjoy a game within the first hour, I never play it. If I do, I will play it to 100% completion no matter how long that takes. I never play open ended games for this reason.