Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:58:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rhythm games

Started by peanutbutter, October 23, 2021, 11:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

After buying this weird card game by Harmonix on a whim called Dropmix and been having a lot of fun with it (would've had more fun if I discovered it before the cards became too expensive to buy). Between it and Beat Saber (and VR in general being very suited to the genre) being so much fun I'm itching to get on some other rhythm games I totally neglected in the past.

Fuser is very obviously just Dropmix the Video Game but it somehow looks significantly less fun and the lack of local multiplayer is massively offputting. Dance Central on Kinect kinda looks amazing but I'm not gonna buy an Xbox One just for it, so the next most appealing looking option looks to be the DJ Hero series, the peripherals are small enough that it seems okay and from what I'm seeing online its rep has held very steady.

Which ones are your favourites? What games blur the lines between being a rhythm game and something else the best? Is owning Rock Band worth the grief of having all those peripherals lying around? Have there been any recent gems or is the genre mostly kinda dead outside of VR?

brat-sampson

Hatsune Miku's rhythm series is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I got the Vita version waaaay back when and put a surprising number of hours into it (especially as I still wasn't that good) bust also picked up Mega Mix on Switch and it's just always a good time. The charts are decent, the difficulty ranges from simple (but still with fierce timing on the actual presses) to almost unapproachably (for me) brutal. Plus some of the music just slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRpbtf8_7XM

Jerzy Bondov

I'd never heard of Fuser before your post and I saw it was on sale on Switch so I just fucken bought it, no thought at all. Don't really like it so far but I'll give it more of a go. Maybe it will click.

I was very very heavily into Rock Band. I've got the drums, three guitars, three mics and even the keyboard. Played hours and hours and hours of it. I don't have an Xbox any more so these peripherals are just taking up loads of space. But one day I'll get back on it. No point selling them, they're worth about 10p in total. i know there's Clone Hero on the PC, which is fan made, but I don't know how easy it is to use my existing kit.

I got quite into Taiko no Tatsujin on the Switch for a while. I had the drum, don't know what it's like with motion controls or buttons. It's really cool but makes an absolute racket, which isn't any good for me at the moment as I mostly play games when my kids are asleep. Sold it on in the end. There's a version on iOS which is fun, but it's not the same without the chunky drum.

Then you've got the games that are less about pretending to play an instrument and more about creating the feeling of being involved in the music, but with more game like controls. Stuff like Osu Tatakae Ouendan and Gitraoo Man, both great weird games. Going back to Harmonix there's Frequency/Amplitude and the similar, really good, delisted Rock Band Blitz. Rock Band Unplugged on the PSP is easier to get hold of. They're all about juggling different tracks, like a plate spinning type thing, and when you're playing well it's transcendent.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 26, 2021, 08:44:40 AM
No point selling them, they're worth about 10p in total.
Seems like the scarcity of Rock Band 4 has resulted in working models from the earlier games soaring in price recently. I looked into it and 80 pound seemed the going rate for a working base set with everything you need included (loads without the usb adapters and shit clogging up ebay). Wouldn't mind the space being took up for fuck all but not willing to pay actual money for all my space to vanish.

I'd never heard of Fuser before your post and I saw it was on sale on Switch so I just fucken bought it, no thought at all. Don't really like it so far but I'll give it more of a go. Maybe it will click.
It looks pretty unintuitive, I'll probably check it out but I suspect it might work best as a more advanced version of the freestyle mode of Dropmix at a party or something? The underlying tech seems great once you understand the limitations.

I got quite into Taiko no Tatsujin on the Switch for a while. I had the drum, don't know what it's like with motion controls or buttons. It's really cool but makes an absolute racket, which isn't any good for me at the moment as I mostly play games when my kids are asleep. Sold it on in the end. There's a version on iOS which is fun, but it's not the same without the chunky drum.
This looks great! I assume the drum would drive a dog absolutely insane though?

Can remember hating Gitaroo Man, felt like a game mostly hyped cos of its rarity at the time.

madhair60

Nah, Gitaroo Man's brilliant. A masterpiece. Sorry to hear about your SHIT TASTE

Jerzy Bondov

My wife had the cat on her lap when I fired up Taiko no Tatsujin for the first time and as soon as I started up on the drum she got scratched to fuck. Straight out of the box you need to hit the drum quite hard. There are easy mods you can do to increase its sensitivity though

peanutbutter

Epic have bought Harmonix with the explicit intent of having them work on the live music shows that occur inside Fortnite to be more interactive.
Def seemed like Harmonix were on their way towards going out of business so it's not a major downer but still a bit of a bummer.

Jerzy Bondov

RIP Harmonix. We had some good times.

I got my Beatles Gretsch Rock Band guitar out from under the bed in the spare room at my parents' house and found I'd left some shit batteries in there which had leaked very badly. Took it home and nursed it back to health, cleaned up all the goo, replaced and resoldered the battery terminals, beautiful. Put Clone Hero on my Mac, tracked down some drivers on github, realised I needed an Xbox 360 USB wireless adaptor, got one off eBay, got it all working, tweaked the settings to get the best frame rate possible on my ageing computer, played it for two hours, decided it doesn't run well enough. Guitar going in the cupboard until I get a good PC or some shit.

Try Phase Shift. I found it ran a lot better than Clone Hero.