Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Halloween gaming.

Started by bgmnts, October 31, 2021, 07:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So it's Spooktober, Shocktober, All Hallows Eve, time to play spoopy games as the kids say.

Will you be playing any horror game tonight, if so which one? I must admit there are few horror games that actually scare me much, and most of the scares I've gotten are from games that aren't horror games but have scary/disturbing moments to me.

May chuck on Doom 3.

Glebe

I have Resi Evil 0 on me Xbox now so might give that a bash though it ain't great.

Rizla

Oh dear, a bat bit you.

Horrible.

Thursday

madhair60

Might finally play all those Puppet Combos

Cold Meat Platter

You know what the scariest game is?
Real life, mate.
Real life.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Glebe on October 31, 2021, 07:10:30 PM
I have Resi Evil 0 on me Xbox now so might give that a bash though it ain't great.

RE0 is utter shit and I say that as a fan of the franchise.

bgmnts

The remake has the Wesker mode though, which is quite fun.

brat-sampson

I like my Halloween games like I like my Halloween movies, more bloody fun than actually bone-chilling, so this year for the first time I played Dead Spaces 1/2 and have started the first The Evil Within. DSs were really solid, and have held up well despite their age. I played on PC and only had one real issue (you have to turn off vsync and enable it through NVidea control panel or they're an ugly 30fps mess). The design is great, blasting limbs never really gets old and I enjoyed how they mix up the combat with 0-g/ space sections or minor puzzles etc, where you're using kinesis or stasis to manipulate giant broken machinery. I didn't find either particularly 'scary' but the atmosphere of the first on the derilict ship probably delivered more than the mixture of settings in the sequel. On the other hand DS2 caused me to die a lot more and felt like it had more intense segments. Maybe I'll go through 3 at a later fate, but I was a bit burnt out and have read it's definitely the black sheep, even if it's still pretty solid.

The asteroid-shooting part is still pants.

Oh yeah, I also went through the first 2 parts of Little Nightmares, which is... exactly what I thought it would be. Mildly creepy, mildly irritating Inside/Limbo-a-like side-scrolling trial-and-error puzzle platforming with giant murderous weirdos. Only it has a slight 3D element to it which I get, as a way to give more variety to situations/puzzles, especially when you're trying to sneak around, but which *also*, for me at least, resulted in more than one untimely leap into a chasm for no actual reason. It's FINE.

The Crumb

Finished the Two Colonels dlc for Metro Exodus. Annoying boss fight aside, a fittingly horrible slog through a failing nuclear bunker. A game that's really nailed the grim feeling of your character fading out.

Played Sonic 2 and got my girlfriend to jump out and shout boo every 15 minutes. Chilling.

Barry Admin

There's been a week-long event in Torn, so I went HAM there. It's a slow game, so last year I did loads but invested all my efforts and didn't get anything to show for it. This year, I got enough upgrades to start turning in treats, so made a few hundred million I guess. And I'm all set up for the next couple of years now :-)

Had little time for the Apex event sadly, gonna go HAM til it ends tomorrow evening. They bring back the Titanfall wallrunning and double jumping for Halloween, NICE.

Was looking forward to the Warzone event but just didn't have the time. Played it a couple of times and it does seem like an epic event.

AsparagusTrevor

I've just been playing Doom Eternal over the weekend, which I suppose could count as horror. I'm thinking of jacking it in on the last boss though. The game outstayed its welcome and stopped being fun for me a while back, I was just trying for completeness. Not wanting to sound overly negative, I've enjoyed a good 60% of it though, and it was on Game Pass.

C_Larence

A few Halloweens ago I played through the Siren remakes on PS3. They were my first foray into the world of horror games as I'd been traumatised by the trailer for Silent Hill 4: The Room which I guess was included on a PS2 magazine demo disc. (side note: https://youtu.be/GW_is7yL6_U I assume this is the trailer I watched and I'm not surprised it terrified 11 year old me).

Anyway, didn't find Siren scary at all and since then I've played a lot of horror games without any issues.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I finished the single player campaign in Battlefield 1 last night, so I have experienced horror.
The horror of war.

Zetetic

Wandered through flesh, blood and concrete, which was less horror and more a kind of warmed-over sadness.

C_Larence

Quote from: Zetetic on November 01, 2021, 05:57:40 PM
Wandered through flesh, blood and concrete, which was less horror and more a kind of warmed-over sadness.

He was in Northern Canada.

Pink Gregory

Once again this year I will say thay I wish I wish I was Costume Quest was a better game.  The writing is wonderful but the whole turn based battle stuff is tedious in the extreme.  Double Fine nailing the presentation and only half of the gameplay as usual.

But then Stacking was really good, so...

Glebe

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 31, 2021, 09:36:36 PMRE0 is utter shit and I say that as a fan of the franchise.

Aye, it's not great.

Thursday

It's one of the few mainline Resi's I've not played, and because of it's reputation, I decided it's not actually mainline so I don't need to play it.

H-O-W-L

It's really not even mainline honestly. It's thoroughly ensconced in the second layer of the Resident Evil cake, where the weirder but not as-weird installments lurk. You have to get to the real bottom of the sponge to find the insane off-the-beaten-path ones like Gun Survivor and Dead Aim. I don't even consider Gaiden to be on this tier because plot-wise Gaiden is one of the more sensible ones.

Cold Meat Platter

All Resident Evil games are bollocks.

Thursday

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 02, 2021, 03:58:26 AM
It's really not even mainline honestly. It's thoroughly ensconced in the second layer of the Resident Evil cake, where the weirder but not as-weird installments lurk. You have to get to the real bottom of the sponge to find the insane off-the-beaten-path ones like Gun Survivor and Dead Aim. I don't even consider Gaiden to be on this tier because plot-wise Gaiden is one of the more sensible ones.

Well this is it from what I've heard. Doesn't really make any sense that Rebecca goes through all this before going off to be the helpless innocent nurse in Resi 1

oggyraiding

Does Code Veronica count as a mainline game? That and 0 were too shit for me to finish.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: oggyraiding on November 02, 2021, 03:36:53 PM
Does Code Veronica count as a mainline game? That and 0 were too shit for me to finish.

0 and CV are on the same tier of sub-mainline weird ones. But they're not as weird as Dead Aim.

madhair60

Quote from: C_Larence on November 01, 2021, 05:21:25 PM
A few Halloweens ago I played through the Siren remakes on PS3. They were my first foray into the world of horror games as I'd been traumatised by the trailer for Silent Hill 4: The Room which I guess was included on a PS2 magazine demo disc. (side note: https://youtu.be/GW_is7yL6_U I assume this is the trailer I watched and I'm not surprised it terrified 11 year old me).

Anyway, didn't find Siren scary at all and since then I've played a lot of horror games without any issues.

It was on a PSM2 DVD and you are not alone in having been frightened by it

bgmnts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 02, 2021, 05:20:04 PM
0 and CV are on the same tier of sub-mainline weird ones. But they're not as weird as Dead Aim.

Well 0 and CV are full on mainline entries, for better or for worse, fully canon (resi canon lol) whereas I assume Dead Aim is a spin off like Survivor.

0 is farcical from a story standpoint because it shows Rebecca Chambers pretty much smashed an entire army of zombies, feral monkeys, frogs and a mega tyrant before the events of Resident Evil, but then in Resident Evil she is a frightened little girl who can't even handle a hunter.

I guess you could just say ptsd or something.

Billy Cohen is ace though.

C_Larence

Quote from: madhair60 on November 02, 2021, 06:03:41 PM
It was on a PSM2 DVD and you are not alone in having been frightened by it

That must have been it then! Can anyone who's played it say if it lives up to the trailer?

Glebe

Having to take care of two characters is slightly annoying, and not having an item chest but being able to drop items anywhere is a bit of a mixed blessing, it's just a bit messy.