Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:14:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halo Infinite Multiplayer

Started by madhair60, November 23, 2021, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

it's here, it's free, the battle pass is fucking slow but it's REALLY FUN and it's Halo baby

Chollis

AHEM

really enjoying it, after quite a lot of play over the last week I think the maps really hold up, they've obviously designed them with the Objective-based games in mind. looking forward to new maps now cos i've played these ones to death.

i still don't really know what battle pass does, is it just for cosmetic additions? very sad that i've still only got the starter armor to choose from. i want master chief helmet :(

Also, it seems like the campaign is gonna be like £50 when it comes out, which is obviously bonkers if it's just an open-and-shut campaign of like 8 hours or whatever it usually is. unless they are planning to do something fancy like releasing new bits of campaign every few months, i don't see how releasing the multiplayer for free, the part most players play Halo for, makes sense from a business perspective. ALL INFO AND THEORIES WELCOME

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Chollis on November 23, 2021, 10:45:33 AMi don't see how releasing the multiplayer for free, the part most players play Halo for, makes sense from a business perspective. ALL INFO AND THEORIES WELCOME

How about if you want to unlock everything then you need to spunk away a grand? Gotta love those microtransactions.

JamesTC

While they should give more base variations, the microtransaction shite is all cosmetic so at least all of the game itself is free. I'm happy for people with too much money to spend ridiculous sums to unlock shoulder pads whilst I just get to play the game for free.

I had a go on it but need to tweak the controls on mouse and keyboard more. The default aim sensitivity is like aiming through porridge but I think I pushed it too much in the other direction.

bgmnts

Quote from: JamesTC on November 23, 2021, 12:04:05 PMWhile they should give more base variations, the microtransaction shite is all cosmetic so at least all of the game itself is free. I'm happy for people with too much money to spend ridiculous sums to unlock shoulder pads whilst I just get to play the game for free.

I had a go on it but need to tweak the controls on mouse and keyboard more. The default aim sensitivity is like aiming through porridge but I think I pushed it too much in the other direction.

Sterling did a video about how these microtransactions gambling mechanics seem to mostly prey on people with addictive behaviours or neurodivergent issues.

So far from it being mega rich people with massive disposable incomes having a laugh getting skins it's flogging poorer people.

But this is just normal now. It's amazing how fast consumers accept these things.

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on November 23, 2021, 12:15:16 PMSterling did a video about how these microtransactions gambling mechanics seem to mostly prey on people with addictive behaviours or neurodivergent issues.

Halo Infinite isn't gambling though. It is just credits to buy cosmetics (or a Battle Pass to help you unlock cosmetics). Unless I am mistaken, there is no gambling element.

I agree the loot box stuff is awful and should be stopped. But this is just spending money to buy armour that has no impact on gameplay. It is just an extension of the Team Fortress 2 template which was to go free to play and make money on selling hats.

madhair60

Erk, sorry. Missed the extant thread somehow.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JamesTC on November 23, 2021, 12:23:17 PMHalo Infinite isn't gambling though.
If you can't pick what you get, and there are rarer things which might be gotten, then it's gambling (I have no idea if Halo does this).

JamesTC

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 23, 2021, 03:19:25 PMIf you can't pick what you get, and there are rarer things which might be gotten, then it's gambling (I have no idea if Halo does this).

I do not think this is what happens in Infinite. There are specific unlocks for reaching certain levels as well as others which can just be outright bought. Nothing is random. Essentially it is the system from Halo MCC but with monetisation shoehorned in.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: JamesTC on November 23, 2021, 03:23:37 PMEssentially it is the system from Halo MCC but with monetisation shoehorned in.

The question is why it's been shoehorned in period though considering the MCC didn't need it, and continues to support itself entirely off Microsoft money, Gamepass sign-ups, and sales of the full game.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 23, 2021, 03:19:25 PMIf you can't pick what you get, and there are rarer things which might be gotten, then it's gambling (I have no idea if Halo does this).

There are no randomised elements in Infinite, you buy a Battle Pass then play the game to earn your way through it, receiving rewards as you reach higher levels. You can buy your way to higher levels as well, but the main difference is the entire contents and rewards for each level are clearly shown before purchase. Nothing randomised at any point. Also while levelling may be slower compared to similar games, the pass this time is a) intended to run until May 2022 and b) actually never expires, so even then you can continue working on it if you feel like it. Some people like this model, some don't, as you would expect.

There's also a store to buy items with credits that cost real money, but again you can choose exactly what you want to buy.

shoulders

Quote from: JamesTC on November 23, 2021, 12:04:05 PMWhile they should give more base variations, the microtransaction shite is all cosmetic so at least all of the game itself is free. I'm happy for people with too much money to spend ridiculous sums to unlock shoulder pads whilst I just get to play the game for free.

It isn't people with too much money this affects, it is people with no money and people with addiction issues.

bgmnts

Yeah no point getting into it because people just accept it for some reason but yeah basically that. ^

Chollis

6 months later and still no features that should've been on release - Forge, co-op campaign, working Theater mode, baseline playlists like Doubles, Team Slayer/Obj or Lone Wolf. still only 1 ranked playlist.

they released 2 new maps with Season 2. now 6 more months for any new content. maybe in 2 years it will look like a game ready for launch.

player base dropped from 250k on release to around 8k now. 343 Studios doing a good job of killing off the franchise. wonder if things would've been different if Bungie stayed at the helm.

Thursday

So many companies trying to do their own Destiny style thing, but without learning from any of the mistakes that Destiny made. Plus Destiny didn't have the same level of competition when it first came out and was much quicker at fixing things and bringing out new stuff.