Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cheap 10-inch tablets

Started by canadagoose, January 02, 2024, 10:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Are there any anyone would recommend? I say "cheap" because I don't have a big budget at all. I'd like it to run Android and have at least 32GB of storage. It's for my new business, so I can show clients diagrams and do a bit of typing and presentation-making at home. Nothing too intense. Thanks!

Cloud

Amazon Fire tends to be the way to go at the low end

Funcrusher

I've been thinking that I'd like a 10-12 inch tablet to occasionally read bootleg scans of old comics or magazines, but it would need to be crazy cheap as I've got no money to spend. Is there any Chinese or other budget thing that would do that for like a few tens of pounds?

Jim_MacLaine

My mum's Amazon tablet came loaded with Amazon crap so I would steer clear of them unless there's a way of removing it all.

I had a Samsung S-something* android tablet which was fine.

* Can't remember model name

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 02, 2024, 01:05:22 PMI've been thinking that I'd like a 10-12 inch tablet to occasionally read bootleg scans of old comics or magazines, but it would need to be crazy cheap as I've got no money to spend. Is there any Chinese or other budget thing that would do that for like a few tens of pounds?

This is probably the cheapest you'd be able to get. It is recommended for comic book reading on reddit and that price is very good so it would be my choice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126105565347?epid=239058780

Or for a bit more, obscure but fairly well reviewed brand

https://store.chuwi.com/products/hipad-xpro?variant=46143907889383

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 02, 2024, 01:30:07 PMMy mum's Amazon tablet came loaded with Amazon crap so I would steer clear of them unless there's a way of removing it all.

That can be annoying but it's easy enough to delete all that bloatware stuff

Funcrusher

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 02, 2024, 01:33:38 PMThis is probably the cheapest you'd be able to get. It is recommended for comic book reading on reddit and that price is very good so it would be my choice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126105565347?epid=239058780

Or for a bit more, obscure but fairly well reviewed brand

https://store.chuwi.com/products/hipad-xpro?variant=46143907889383

Thanks. I might keep an eye on refurbed stuff on Ebay.

canadagoose

Thanks everyone, I think I might go for one of those Chuwi ones. The 4G connection could be handy.

Captain Z

Shame, I used to get loads of adverts for these in my emails a few years ago.

lazyhour

Thanks for that link, @El Unicornio, mang. I have a three-part question about those Fire tablets for anyone who owns one.

Can you run Chrome browser on it?
Can you view YouTube videos within the browser (and not just the YouTube app)?
Can you use Chrone plugins (ie ad blockers)?

Thanks in advance,
Your pal,
Lazyhour

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lazyhour on January 03, 2024, 10:59:35 AMThanks for that link, @El Unicornio, mang. I have a three-part question about those Fire tablets for anyone who owns one.

Can you run Chrome browser on it?
Can you view YouTube videos within the browser (and not just the YouTube app)?
Can you use Chrone plugins (ie ad blockers)?

Thanks in advance,
Your pal,
Lazyhour

Yes to the first although it requires a few minutes of faffing about

Not sure about the second.

The third, no because the mobile version of chrome doesn't allow extensions, however you can use a chrome-based browser like Kiwi instead which will allow adding extensions.

lazyhour

So it's a slightly tricky 'yes'? I think I can handle that faff. Thank you!

Edit: actually, the crucial thing is whether it'll play videos within that Kiwi browser without launching the YouTube app, innit?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lazyhour on January 03, 2024, 11:16:52 AMSo it's a slightly tricky 'yes'? I think I can handle that faff. Thank you!

Edit: actually, the crucial thing is whether it'll play videos within that Kiwi browser without launching the YouTube app, innit?

I just tested it, YouTube does run in the Kiwi browser without it launching the app so you'd be good to go in that department

Edit: runs in Chrome fine as well, but obviously lacking the option of extensions. So unless you need to be logged into Google accounts I'd use Kiwi

lazyhour

Oh bugger, Kiwi doesn't let you log into Google accounts, so i won't get my youtube recommendations etc? Fallen at the final hurdle!

Thanks for your help, @El Unicornio, mang, but it looks like it doesn't *quite* work for me. Back to the drawing board.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lazyhour on January 03, 2024, 11:31:20 AMOh bugger, Kiwi doesn't let you log into Google accounts, so i won't get my youtube recommendations etc? Fallen at the final hurdle!

Thanks for your help, @El Unicornio, mang, but it looks like it doesn't *quite* work for me. Back to the drawing board.

Yeah if you want all that stuff you might be better off paying a bit extra and getting a used Surface Pro with Windows installed. 12.3" ones going used on ebay for about £150, if you get bidding on an auction sale you could get a used older model for as cheap as 50 or 60 though.

Endicott

Quote from: lazyhour on January 03, 2024, 11:31:20 AMOh bugger, Kiwi doesn't let you log into Google accounts, so i won't get my youtube recommendations etc? Fallen at the final hurdle!

Firefox android app allows extensions and will allow logging in to youtube and play it in the browser.

El Unicornio, mang

Actually I just checked and you can sign into Google accounts using Kiwi (and thus have your YouTube accounts on there whether they're Google or not)

I assumed you couldn't since Google wants everyone using Chrome but I guess Kiwi circumvents this due to it being based on Chrome.

lazyhour

Fucking get in! Thanks you two.

greencalx

You can sign into Google in any web browser. It might be that certain Google services only support Chrome, but YouTube isn't one of them.

Glebe

There's the Lenovo Tab M10 (3rd Gen) going for just over £100. Going by a review or summit I read I think it's only getting update support until around spring '25, mind.

steveh

Lenovo are not great on updates. Mentioned before that on my one there were no updates for well over a year despite some important security fixes in Android then out of the blue they did a big one with a load of new stuff (but same Android version) and then since then there have been intermittent security updates even though it was supposed to have reached the end for those. Nice hardware though.

lazyhour

Fuckin hell, I hate this Fire tablet after having played with it for half an hour. Can't get Kiwi to install on it - it claims it's been installed but I can't find it anywhere.

I might smash it up.

canadagoose

Quote from: lazyhour on January 06, 2024, 07:43:50 PMFuckin hell, I hate this Fire tablet after having played with it for half an hour. Can't get Kiwi to install on it - it claims it's been installed but I can't find it anywhere.

I might smash it up.
Put a new launcher on it. Microsoft Launcher is actually quite good, in spite of the evil corporation behind it.

McDead

Quote from: Glebe on January 05, 2024, 12:12:59 AMThere's the Lenovo Tab M10 (3rd Gen) going for just over £100. Going by a review or summit I read I think it's only getting update support until around spring '25, mind.

I got one of these for my father in law for Christmas, and they are absolutely mint for the price.

Return your shitty kindle fire tablet, they're good enough for buying amazon stuff, watching Amazon prime and reading books, but even with the Google structure installed they're still messy and awkward to use. I found all the Play store stuff slowed my fire hd to an absolute crawl, and I ultimately had to delete the lot and go back to factory settings.

lazyhour

Quote from: canadagoose on January 06, 2024, 09:06:03 PMPut a new launcher on it. Microsoft Launcher is actually quite good, in spite of the evil corporation behind it.

I'm looking into that. Apparently models with newer operating systems can't be rooted and modified in that way, so I'll have to see if this one can.

I absolutely hate it as it stands.

steveh

At one time Google Play was really simple to install on the Fire tablets but Google have since introduced new mechanisms to only allow it on licensed devices so might not be so easy now. I also found the Google services massively slowed everything down. Amazon's Silk browser and own apps also rely on server-side processing for a lot of things so they can get away with cheaper hardware.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: McDead on January 06, 2024, 09:58:49 PMI got one of these for my father in law for Christmas, and they are absolutely mint for the price.

Return your shitty kindle fire tablet, they're good enough for buying amazon stuff, watching Amazon prime and reading books, but even with the Google structure installed they're still messy and awkward to use. I found all the Play store stuff slowed my fire hd to an absolute crawl, and I ultimately had to delete the lot and go back to factory settings.

This is a thread for "cheap tablets" though. There's always going to be a trade-off when you're paying under £100. For just reading books and other simple stuff they're fine.

McDead

They're fine for enjoying Amazon products, yeah. And surely 110 sovs for a tablet *is* cheap?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: McDead on January 07, 2024, 01:17:38 PMThey're fine for enjoying Amazon products, yeah. And surely 110 sovs for a tablet *is* cheap?

It is, but my initial reply was to funcrusher who wanted something for 10s of £s.

For the 100-200 range I'd go for a surface pro 5, 12.3". They were £1000 a few years ago but can be had for about £150 refurbished with windows 10 installed on ebay currently with the Jan sale coupons. Decent enough hardware for things like video editing and gaming.

Glebe

Quote from: steveh on January 05, 2024, 09:27:12 AMLenovo are not great on updates. Mentioned before that on my one there were no updates for well over a year despite some important security fixes in Android then out of the blue they did a big one with a load of new stuff (but same Android version) and then since then there have been intermittent security updates even though it was supposed to have reached the end for those. Nice hardware though.

I had a Lenovo tablet that became obsolete after a couple of years, no security updates available and was actually unusable as I recall.

My first laptop was a Lenovo, not Full HD and had a dark screen but it was a great 'workhorse' and I loved it.