Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What boujee stuff have you done recently?

Started by The Mollusk, January 08, 2022, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 09, 2022, 07:12:58 AMWhat do you use? We've been exclusively using Lush for a while now. I don't often pass one of their shops so if I'm working in Liverpool Street and we're running low I'll go in and spend about £20 on two big blocks of the stuff. That seems pricey but it lasts ages.

Normally just any old bog standard bar, though I should probably stop buying Dove given their horrible palm oil slinging ways. The Co-Op near me used to do a nice coal tar one from a supposedly eco-friendly company, I use it on my face too and it's pretty good for that.

Lush is great though, it's not cheap (they've definitely hiked their prices up in the last few years) but generally you do get a decent amount of bang for your buck. Haven't used it in ages, but they do a solid hair conditioner called Jungle that comes in a big chunk and smells amazing, which doubles up pretty well as a body wash (and shaving foam if you're so inclined).

mothman

Remembered I'd been given an Amazon gift card by work and had never redeemed it, so just said fuck it and got myself some of the Molton Brown and now I'm all like

JaDanketies

Took a two-year-old to a theatre production (that was actually a panto). £30 a ticket! And he probably didn't even follow the storyline!

I also bought a Morrisons Meal Deal yesterday and my drink choice was coconut water.

Buelligan

Quote from: Janie Jones on January 08, 2022, 09:27:37 PMWell I bought fabric conditioner in a hipster emporium in a former lock-up behind the market in Peckham on Wednesday and it was twelve fucking quid. For 500ml. And that was with a third off! It's normally £18. I was so gobsmacked when I was told the price that I just thought, fuck it, I'm buying this. Just to make a mockery of all my careful shopping around and buying mis-shape veg and making stock out of peelings and re-using unfranked stamps, I'm paying twelve fucking quid for something that's 85p in Aldi, just because it's part of curated collection of lifestyle products in a lockup in Peckham Levels with M1llionz blasting out.

The product is AttireCare fabric softener which you can look up to ascertain that I am not even lying.

(Btw Mollusk, I've heard several people say that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner on towels because it interferes with their absorbency and makes them scratchy, not fluffy.)

Wow.  I just did look them up.  One of my duties, in one of my jobs, is to sort and take out the recycling.  I used to plunder the nice bottles and spray or dispensing nozzles (I asked if I could) and make my own shit like that. 

I have really lovely soap dispensers made with spun aluminium bottles and also some with beautiful Galvanina glass bottles, I make white vinegar cleaning sprays like that too.  Also have a really nice stoppered bottle which I keep olive oil in that came from a boutique gin manufacturer, one for grape oil that was tequila and one for vinegar (whiskey).  They all look like that shop should be selling them, bougie or Conran Shop, as fuck.

canadagoose

I've been spreading my toast with yer actual butter as of late, because I find it too tasty. So many years of spread (and Lurpak, invented in 1901, eh mothman?) and now I'm addicted to the hard stuff. It's all Tesco's fault for substituting it one week.

mothman

Thing I wonder with spreads like Lurpak and Flora and Olivio etc. is, do people commonly keep the foil or paper seal on top (that's there to stop the top layer oxidising prior to purchase) after they've opened it? Despite it having an actual lid?

My in-laws do, they seem to assign it some talismanic power of preservation (in addition to keeping it in the fridge).

So of course I would remove it completely and throw it away every time I was round there.

imitationleather

It makes a very satisfying sound when you peel it back. Why deny yourself that?

mothman

The Mollusk

That thing gets mercilessly torn off as soon as I get it out of the shopping bag.

imitationleather

Actually the butter we buy doesn't come in a tub.

JaDanketies

It gets big blobs of margarine stuck in it if you don't remove and discard it, and those blobs of margarine are difficult to remove and use.

kngen

Cut my own big chunk of bread with a breadknife and had real butter on it this morning. Something that would have been resolutely working class 50 years ago, but is now extremely bourgeois. Funny old world, innit?

Flying to Sri Lanka tommorow for some winter sunshine, which is quite a boujee thing to do for a working class lad like me.

Ferris

Bought some bacon from the farm shop butchers down the road. It comes wrapped up in that wax paper, like a little gift (which in a way, it is).

Very nice.  Nothing beats a high quality bacon bap.

beanheadmcginty

Spreadable "butter" only makes sense as a product if you assume that normal butter needs to be kept in the fridge, which it doesn't. I keep my butter in a dish on the kitchen sideboard and it will happily last for months without even remotely going off, and at room temperature it is always spreadable.

Milo

Hark at you with your infinite heating budget keeping your kitchen at room temperature all year round.

Pink Gregory

pancreas

Quote from: shoulders on January 08, 2022, 10:56:55 PMThe current toilet roll we bought actually smells nice.

Welcome to Shoulders' House of Rimming

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 09, 2022, 06:13:04 PMSpreadable "butter" only makes sense as a product if you assume that normal butter needs to be kept in the fridge, which it doesn't. I keep my butter in a dish on the kitchen sideboard and it will happily last for months without even remotely going off, and at room temperature it is always spreadable.

Why is a pack of butter lasting for months?

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 09, 2022, 07:14:56 PMWhy is a pack of butter lasting for months?

I rarely engage in anal sex these days.

IsavedLatin

I'm as middle-class as they come, so I feel no shame (NO SHAME) for my relentless cushion-buying habit, even though I know it renders me a walking "middle-class woman in her 30s" cliché.

However, I have two recentish examples of self-consciously aspirational expenditure that pushed me outside my comfort zone:

For my birthday this year I bought a very beautiful and phenomenally expensive lamp. I was nearly sick paying for it, convinced I'd been taken for a mug, but the difference it's made is unbelievable: the room in which it resides was previously a wretched grief-hole, a room I couldn't spend any time in happily without pondering how expensive it'll be to give it the overhaul it badly needs (like, way more than a paint job); post-purchase, the room is almost cosy, and I'm happy to spend time there.

Rather than buying everything in one go from a supermarket, I made a meat order at a local butcher for Christmas this year. The cost was sharp-intake-of-breath-level given that supermarket prices are my control group, but I'm trying to buy better-quality meat (in lieu of doing what I know I really ought to do, which is to become vegan) and, well, fuck it, it's not like I did a single other thing than eat food over the course of that break. It was worth it for me.

Ferris

Quote from: IsavedLatin on January 09, 2022, 09:13:04 PMThe cost was sharp-intake-of-breath-level given that supermarket prices are my control group, but I'm trying to buy better-quality meat (in lieu of doing what I know I really ought to do, which is to become vegan) and, well, fuck it, it's not like I did a single other thing than eat food over the course of that break. It was worth it for me.

This is very much my reason for switching to becoming a butcher twat.

Dex Sawash

Listened to most of The Moth Radio Hour on the national people's radio

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: imitationleather on January 09, 2022, 01:45:57 PMIt makes a very satisfying sound when you peel it back. Why deny yourself that?

I bet you say that to all the girls !!!!!!! 😀😁😂🤣😃😄😅😆😉😹😸☻

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 09, 2022, 06:31:06 PM...which ones?
Tomi Makanjuola's Vegan Nigerian Cooking, which doesn't have an index and most of the recipes require you to do other recipes first, so not sure I'd recommend it, despite the exciting range of porridges and deep fried snacks. And some Chinese ones of which Donna Klein's is easy to understand but fuck knows how authentic it is or how long she's even been in China.

Cultural appropriation awaits!

Unrelatedly, just watched The Lost Daughter, which is the most middle-class film ever.

seepage

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 10, 2022, 08:37:36 AMTomi Makanjuola's Vegan Nigerian Cooking, which doesn't have an index and most of the recipes require you to do other recipes first

Is that their Forth cook book? :)

Blue Jam

Quote from: IsavedLatin on January 09, 2022, 09:13:04 PMRather than buying everything in one go from a supermarket, I made a meat order at a local butcher for Christmas this year. The cost was sharp-intake-of-breath-level given that supermarket prices are my control group, but I'm trying to buy better-quality meat (in lieu of doing what I know I really ought to do, which is to become vegan) and, well, fuck it, it's not like I did a single other thing than eat food over the course of that break. It was worth it for me.

When I spent Christmas in Japan and Mr Jam came to visit me I prepared a cheeseboard. The Japanese aren't big on cheese so everything was imported, and most of it came from Tokyu Foodshow in Shibuya. I deliberately avoided figuring out how much it all cost.

Had some actual Stilton in there, all the way from Engerland, plus some Irish porter cheese which we always used to buy from Durham's indoor market. I did a double-take when I saw the very same cheese on sale in a posh deli in Japan. It had to be done.

dannyfc

250 quid on chinese replica designer clothing

a running bum bag to carry my phone when running

an electric egg poacher I used twice before poaching like a normal human being again

instant pot- genuinely get good use of it though

beard balm

mini 5ml sample set of top tier cologne I regularly buy rather than a proper bottle. can't even remember the last occasion I've been to warrant slapping some up. occasionally take a squirt when working from home just as a smell treat to myself