Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your most-complimented clothes and accessories

Started by touchingcloth, January 09, 2022, 06:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

My combo of mustard yellow corduroy jacket and brown wool blend trousers with stitched stripe motif always seems to do well.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Guppy on January 09, 2022, 11:30:49 PMI've got a car coat that cost fuck all and doesn't fit me, and people love it. It's a big fat bloke coat but I'm 6'5" so I have to buy fat bloke stuff if I want the sleeves to reach my wrists. I look like an absolute cunt in this coat. Someone should grab me by the scruff of the neck and drown me in a puddle. But they don't, they fucking love it.

Want to see a picture of this

dissolute ocelot

I've got ultra-reflective grey/silver Asos boots which have got compliments (possibly because it is hard to ignore), but being Asos they fell apart after a couple of years despite best gluing efforts. I also had silver Vans trainers which were very cool and people would randomly look down at them after hours or days of talking to me and make a comment.

Years and years ago I had really cool blue spectacles that I got half price and loads of people commented (some even positively), but they fell apart after about a month and I took them back and had to get something much duller.

A mate of mine has a t-shirt by DC band Priests and wherever he goes seems to find a Priests fan.

Icehaven

I got some purple DMs for Christmas from Mr. Haven a few years ago and they get a lot of positive comments, however they're the vegan ones and the surface is starting to peel and rub off on both toes, which is a bit of a shame as I haven't worn them every day or gone around kicking sandpaper or anything. He didn't intentionally get the vegan ones and was annoyed when he realised as he reckoned they wouldn't last as long as regular DMs, and I wasn't fussed and said I was sure they'd be fine but seems I was wrong.

The Mollusk

I love getting compliments on band shirts. Why else would you wear one? Unfortunately though British people are reserved as fuck so it doesn't happen often. I swelled up with joy not too long ago on the tube when an old chap pointed at the Crass badge on my bag and then showed me his phone background which was the same logo.

It's happened twice to me in America, once at a festival (Neu! shirt) and another time in San Francisco where a guy skateboarded down the street towards me at speed and went "Niiiiice Locust shirt buddy!" as he whizzed past.

DoesNotFollow

My friend's 20-year-old daughter recently complimented me on my Alpha Industries N-3B parka. A single favourable comment makes this my most-complimented item of clothing. I am apparently not a stylish man.

king_tubby

I wore my Scott Walker/Sunn O))) t-shirt to a Terry Riley performance and was complimented twice by fellow nerds. One of whom said 'I know where you live, I've noticed that t-shirt on the washing line' which was slightly worrying.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on January 10, 2022, 07:35:13 AMYour missus has put you on the game again?

I put on the Jethro Tull gear and good things happen*!!

(*they don't)

gilbertharding

Once I went to work wearing my charcoal French Connection suit with a light blue shirt and a blue and orange paisley YSL tie and got the glad eye and a compliment from the lady who manages the office building where I work. Naturally I've combined the same garments more than once since.

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 09, 2022, 11:14:09 PMMy oxblood DMs have been commented on since I started this thread apropos of nothing. Buy a pair, people. Join me.

I have a pair of oxblood DM Chelsea boots which I'm never sure I can carry off. If that helps.

The Dog

I'd say that the most complicated clothes are trousers.

madhair60

When I used to have a Strong Bad T-shirt that got a lot of "look, it's Strong Bad, from that website"

QDRPHNC

A woollen yellow and brown plaid overcoat and a blue leather 70s pimp style jacket.

Quote from: holdover on January 10, 2022, 07:50:56 AMI've got a Hudson's Bay blanket coat that my wife got me last Christmas.

The distinctive stripey one? My sister is mad for the Bay, every time she's here she needs to buy something with the stripes.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

May I say what a smashing blouse you have on?

Kelvin

The only thing someone's ever complimented me on is my arse, and the compliment was, "I love your big fat arse."

touchingcloth

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 10, 2022, 02:37:22 PMI have a pair of oxblood DM Chelsea boots which I'm never sure I can carry off. If that helps.

No one can pull off Chelsea boots unless they're going for the quantity-surveyor-who-plays-in-a-band vibe.

I'm largely kidding. A friend of mine has a pair and they're ace, but for fuck's sake, learn how to do your laces.

holdover

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 10, 2022, 02:49:19 PMA woollen yellow and brown plaid overcoat and a blue leather 70s pimp style jacket.

The distinctive stripey one? My sister is mad for the Bay, every time she's here she needs to buy something with the stripes.

That's the one. Like a polar bear has fucked a fruit pastille ice lolly.

popcorn

Quote from: Kelvin on January 10, 2022, 03:14:24 PMThe only thing someone's ever complimented me on is my arse, and the compliment was, "I love your big fat arse."

I preferred this story before the edit when they told you they loved your "big fast arse"

Janie Jones

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 10, 2022, 01:18:07 AMI've got oxblood 50th anniversary made in england DMs that are GOLD inside.

I've got some limited edition sparkly rainbow DMs that get loads of compliments but I hate wearing them, I feel a bit Colin Hunt try-hard wacky, like, I have no personality, look at my ker-azee wrrrright-on shoes instead. In fact I'm now reminded to put them on eBay, someone will be pleased with them.

buttgammon

I recently got my first pair of DMs and they're the best boots I've ever had. They're just plain black lace-ups - classic!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Someone said they wanted to slide into my DMs, but I was actually wearing trainers. I informed them of their mistake and bid them good day.

flotemysost

Last year during lockdown I found a pair of very Seventies-looking faux-python-skin high-heeled ankle boots in the street while I was on a walk, of the exact type I'd been looking for, in my size. I told myself if they were still there in the evening I'd take them home and give them a lick of Dettol. They were, so I did, and I get complimented pretty much every time I wear them. (I'm guessing someone drunkenly took them off while walking home, or just wanted to get rid of them but the charity shops weren't open.)

My team had a picnic last summer and I wore a black linen jumpsuit and some heart-shaped sunglasses, both from Oxfam, and my manager (who's known me for years) said he thought my style had really come into its own recently, which was a very sweet and flattering thing to hear. I don't think I'm stylish or fashionable but I do feel like I've sort of cultivated a "look" - I guess as you get older you just learn what suits you and also the importance of practical, comfortable clothing (which can still look good)- no point wearing a nice outfit if you have to spend the whole time massaging your bunions or sucking in your gut or whatever.

And another owner of oxblood DMs here (well, the shiny vegan ones) but they're battered to fuck after a few years of intensive use including multiple hikes and festivals. I might try the brand v.gan when the DMs go to the great shoe rack in the sky, they look decent and are about a third of the price of DMs.

Jockice

It's probably a brown patterned chunky cardigan my sister bought me. I didn't wear it outside for ages because I thought it was a bit crap but had it on in the house when someone came round - and she raved about it.

Then when I started wearing it outdoors people started coming up to me and telling me it was lovely. I still can't see what's so brilliant about it but I'm not going to argue.

flotemysost

^ that's sweet that you've been complimented on your supposedly underwhelming cardigan by strangers! I decided last year to make a point of complimenting people's outfits or accessories if I think someone looks great - at best you might make someone's day or strike up a conversation, at worst hopefully they'll just think you're a bit of a oddball and go about their way.

Also anyone with really nice-looking curly hair often gets a comment, as I know what a pain in the arse it can be to maintain and not give in to the pressure to just iron it flat, which is what I normally do.

Crenners

If I'm at home or at Arcade Club, I often wear shoot-em-up game T-shirts like this:

Or this:

Very occasionally another person who plays those games will say cool shirt fucking hell where did you get it sick but most people don't say anything because they don't know the games and some of the shirts look shit. It's more about representation and identity than aesthetics.

If I leave the house for most other reason, I dress pretty smart, like these kind of shoes:

Or these:

Some people sometimes like the shoes, some people probably think they look like a cunt's shoes, especially after they met me 😂😂😂 jk. Either way I'll wear whatever I like. I generally wear long overcoat kind of look. I don't like scarfs though I am defo more of an autumn winter guy myself. Kind of look like a conservatoire cunt with a cello, without the cello. I like a long coat, nice trousers, good shoes, shoot-em-up t-shirt.

Jockice

Quote from: flotemysost on January 10, 2022, 09:29:16 PM^ that's sweet that you've been complimented on your supposedly underwhelming cardigan by strangers.

I do like a good cardie though, although it's got to the point - after I said how impressed people were with that one - that I get at least one every birthday and Christmas, and not all from my sis either. Which is fair enough, at least they do get some use.

I did have a fairly famous musician offering to buy the jacket I was wearing off me not long ago. A yellow Levi's corduroy one I've had for about 30 years. I said no.

pancreas

Quote from: Crenners on January 10, 2022, 10:06:52 PMIf I leave the house for most other reason, I dress pretty smart, like these kind of shoes:

Or these:

Nice. I treated myself to my first decent pair of shoes a couple of Christmases ago but within weeks we were in lockdown so I'd got no excuse to wear them. Anyway, nobody has said I look fabulous wearing them (presumably because I don't).

touchingcloth