Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggie Option

Started by seepage, January 14, 2022, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Just out of interest have you two liked any other vegan burgers? I've hated all of them so maybe I'm just not suited to them, even this McDonalds one. But will definitely try it next time. Helps to be hungry as well!

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 06:51:05 PMJust out of interest have you two liked any other vegan burgers? I've hated all of them so maybe I'm just not suited to them, even this McDonalds one. But will definitely try it next time. Helps to be hungry as well!

Have you tried the No-Moo burger/steak burger from Iceland/Food Warehouse?  They're the go to in this house.

Not at all arsed about Beyond Meat, but then I was never at all arsed about meat when I ate it.

Menu

No, I keep meaning to pop into Iceland to get that as I've heard good things. And yes, I didn't enjoy the Beyond Meat one particularly either. Gotta be honest, I'm aching for that Lab Meat to start becoming available.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You'd eat a Labrador?

Is it a chocolate lab?

bgmnts

I'd say No Bull Burgers are the best personally.

JaDanketies

I enjoy pretty much all of the fake meat burgers. The ones that are potato and peas and carrot in breadcrumbs and shaped like a patty can fuck right off

Menu

Menu

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2022, 08:34:43 PMI'd say No Bull Burgers are the best personally.

What makes them better? I bet I don't like them either. But I'm willing to try and you can't ask more than that, Clive.

Menu

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 18, 2022, 09:04:30 PMI enjoy pretty much all of the fake meat burgers. The ones that are potato and peas and carrot in breadcrumbs and shaped like a patty can fuck right off

Yeah! Stop trying to make me eat vegetables. I'm vegan, not gay ffs!

bgmnts

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 09:06:17 PMWhat makes them better? I bet I don't like them either. But I'm willing to try and you can't ask more than that, Clive.

They just taste really nice.

They're quite thick and juicy (oo'er) and have a nice flavour to them.

JaDanketies

What you should do is fry / grill / whatever them more than the packet says. Make them well-done. Based on my experience.

Menu

Ah good tip, thank you.

flotemysost

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 18, 2022, 09:04:30 PMThe ones that are potato and peas and carrot in breadcrumbs and shaped like a patty can fuck right off

I actually have a soft spot for these, having been a vegetarian child in the 90s and early 00s. Obviously they're not even remotely lifting a finger in attempting to mimic actual flesh, but I guess there's something comforting about that arbritary mush of soggy veg, in these days of vegan steaks that spurt beetroot blood on demand.

I haven't actually tried any of the fast-food fake meat burgers yet. I got some Vegetarian Butcher meatballs yesterday (which are not, in case anyone wondered, vegan) - they were OK but a bit dry and not herby enough, the Linda McCartney ones are better. (Speaking now as someone who's technically an omnivore, but pretty much never buys meat as a grocery/to eat at home - only rarely eat it if I'm out somewhere).

Menu

Interesting. I didn't like the Vivera meatballs either fwiw.

Quote from: flotemysost on January 18, 2022, 09:55:13 PMvegan steaks that spurt beetroot blood on demand
I mentioned these to a vegan friend of mine and they seemed to find the idea quite disturbing. I don't really see why, since they eat fake meat all the time.

flotemysost

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 10:24:04 PMInteresting. I didn't like the Vivera meatballs either fwiw.

I mean that's just my opinion, I'm no expert, I do eat meat and I also once ate some noodles out of a bin, just for a yardstick of my culinary standards.

(I haven't been able to bring myself to try the Vegetarian Butcher's Little Willies sausages, though. Normally go Quorn for meat-free sausages but I'm intrigued by the Richmond vegan ones bgmnts mentioned upthread, haven't seen those before).

Menu

Quote from: flotemysost on January 18, 2022, 10:44:18 PMI mean that's just my opinion, I'm no expert, I do eat meat and I also once ate some noodles out of a bin

FUCKING HELL

Menu

Quote from: flotemysost on January 18, 2022, 10:44:18 PMI mean that's just my opinion, I'm no expert, I do eat meat and I also once ate some noodles out of a bin, just for a yardstick of my culinary standards.

(I haven't been able to bring myself to try the Vegetarian Butcher's Little Willies sausages, though. Normally go Quorn for meat-free sausages but I'm intrigued by the Richmond vegan ones bgmnts mentioned upthread, haven't seen those before).

Yep those Richmond vegan sausages are perfect. In fact they are so like real Richmond sausages that it makes you question the meat content of the real ones. Same with the vegan sausage rolls. They just confirm how little meat there probably is in real ones.

Richmond's pork sausages are rubbish though.

Dex Sawash

Whopper Wednesday tomorrow, Impossible Whopper $2 on the app.
Can get 2 for $6 if you are willing to go to the terminal talk to someone. 2 hoopers is a bit much for even me to eat but I can eat the second one after an hour or two.

Sebastian Cobb

Those veggie burgers that are mulched up veg always reminded me of the speckly greenish-grey stuffing that they put in gymnastic crash mats, the non-spicy ones (which end up a bit like a cylindrical veg pakora) probably have about as much flavour in my limited experience.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on January 18, 2022, 08:34:43 PMI'd say No Bull Burgers are the best personally.

christ, that's what I meant, from iceland I mean

TrenterPercenter

If we are talking veggie burgers and non of the futuristic meat gubbins then, a bit of effort and you can make these bad boys

Serious Eats Black Bean Burgers

I make a load at a time and stick them in the freezer as they keep well.

I'm OK with mixed veg and potato patties.

flotemysost

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 11:08:00 PMFUCKING HELL

It was my household's kitchen bin and I gave them a rinse under the tap before cooking them, so not quite as bleak as it sounds - I was just so annoyed that someone else had chucked perfectly good food and I'd been looking forward to them all day (OK, still quite bleak).

There's worse things in the Richmond meat sausages though, I'll wager.

paruses

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 18, 2022, 07:56:41 PMHave you tried the No-Moo burger/steak burger from Iceland/Food Warehouse?  They're the go to in this house.

Iceland / Food Warehouse are stocking the Chicago Deep pan bbq jackfruit or facon stuffed crust vegan pizzas. I was very doubtful about them but they were pretty good - better than a non-vegan deep pan stuffed crust abomination. Would recommend.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on January 19, 2022, 08:30:41 PMIt was my household's kitchen bin and I gave them a rinse under the tap before cooking them, so not quite as bleak as it sounds - I was just so annoyed that someone else had chucked perfectly good food and I'd been looking forward to them all day (OK, still quite bleak).

Woah swung from "this person is eating someone else's garbage" to "ah figures someone threw out their noodles and they reclaimed and ate what was rightly theirs, hard approve".

(secretly hoped it was the former though if I'm honest - very derelict 👌)

I've eaten doner kebab out of the bin.

BEAT THAT!

Sebastian Cobb

I once threw a microwave doner kebab in a bin, perhaps it was that.

Menu

Quote from: flotemysost on January 19, 2022, 08:30:41 PMIt was my household's kitchen bin and I gave them a rinse under the tap before cooking them, so not quite as bleak as it sounds - I was just so annoyed that someone else had chucked perfectly good food and I'd been looking forward to them all day (OK, still quite bleak).

This is Costanza territory.