Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

License fee gone 2027

Started by madhair60, January 16, 2022, 12:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

And funding freeze for the bbc

That's that finished then

imitationleather

Obviously the news bit can die in a fire, but this is really bad news overall.

Barry Admin

Yeah, a lot of the harshest critics of the Beeb will soon start to realise precisely what they've lost.

If you think the BBC is effective as state media now, well, I wouldn't disagree, but it's nothing compared to what will come next. I don't believe that democracy can actually function effectively at all when the state owns the media, we're all completely and utterly fucked. This will be an enormous cultural loss also.

NHS next.

chveik

Fambo Number Mive

Can we merge the Picture Bix and GB threads on this?

Imagine if GB News becomes the new state broadcaster.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on January 16, 2022, 12:56:20 PMAnd funding freeze for the bbc

That's that finished then

The Beeb was finished with the removal of the in-house programming guarantee several years ago. As soon as that happened, it was a matter of when not if.

canadagoose

Pink Gregory

Who wants to bet all the niche stuff goes first so no one notices.

BBC Four, Radio 3, BBC3 they'll drop that like a hot stone.

ie the most valuable and least lucrative.  Predictable really.

What will happen to the archive though?

Ignatius_S

The Guardian says that 'Dorries' allies said there would be no further licence fee deal under a Johnson government...' - could mean a new deal could be agreed in the not too distant future.

Midas

Barry Admin

Quote from: DorriesThis licence fee announcement will be the last. The days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors, are over.

Time now to discuss and debate new ways of funding, supporting and selling great British content.

Uh, yeah... who started that, remind me.

Milo

Getting rid of the only global soft power asset we've got left. If they're really so concerned about the impact of the licence fee on people with low incomes that's piss-easy to solve by funding it through general taxation.

Catalogue Trousers

Fucking disgusting if this happens. Of course the twats at the Mail love it. Sorry guys, it ain't gonna be wall-to-wall Top Gear with Clarkson and Hammond, and the Littlejohn chat show is not going to be revived.

GoblinAhFuckScary

But what about Doctor Who!!!!!!

bgmnts

Yeah sorry I do like a shitload of stuff the BBC come out with. Like some radio things and podcast things and just little things.

And yeah fucking christ knows what news outlet replaces it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 16, 2022, 01:11:36 PMWho wants to bet all the niche stuff goes first so no one notices.

BBC Four, Radio 3, BBC3 they'll drop that like a hot stone.

ie the most valuable and least lucrative.  Predictable really.

What will happen to the archive though?

BBC 3 has been doing well - hence moving it back to a television channel, whilst it was game over for BBC 4.

It might be stuff like Radio 1 & 2 that gets sold off. In any case, the Beeb have been planning for it.

Good question about the archive - the Beeb is more open to opening it up these days, but its attempt to do so with the BBC Store several years ago was a disaster.

Milo

Amazing how much stuff the Conservatives are willing to trash.

Video Game Fan 2000

Think of all the marginalised voices this sort of decentralisation will center, especially with the internet and new ways to fund content

Communities will be free to make their own entertainment, and even news

Thursday

Always feel like the BBC is more useful to the tories if they're constantly threatening it with losing the license fee, but never actually taking it away. It overall gives them more positive coverage, but they can constantly be scapegoating it for every minor thing.

I don't think overall it'll be that bad a thing to lose it, but it is odd the lack of analysis a lot of the anti-BBC left display when it comes to this. Really should be giving those celebrating more pause for thought that the tories want this.

Glebe

idunnosomename

I would happily sell my house and all its  contents if it would help the BBC to repeat Fleabag

Butchers Blind

It was a matter of time. As a business model in the modern era of multi media, it does look archaic.

I met the BBC at a Comic Relief do once. It was suprisingly down to earth, but, on that occasion, not very funny.

Midas

not celebrating, but can't exactly drum up any interest in its demise. barely anyone my age actually watches it, i'm afraid.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Thursday on January 16, 2022, 01:36:57 PMAlways feel like the BBC is more useful to the tories if they're constantly threatening it with losing the license fee, but never actually taking it away. It overall gives them more positive coverage, but they can constantly be scapegoating it for every minor thing.

I don't think overall it'll be that bad a thing to lose it, but it is odd the lack of analysis a lot of the anti-BBC left display when it comes to this. Really should be giving those celebrating more pause for thought that the tories want this.

The real state-run media in the UK is right wing tabloids.

The BBC is a dodgy institution that airs some reprehensible views, but its a mistake to view it as just a platform for those views rather than a limb of public media/education/culture in the UK. When the BBC goes the UK media lanscape will quickly resemble a US red state, where there is no funded educational media or cultural stuff for the masses, and news is monopolised by talk radio, Fox and Sinclair Broadcasting. Rightwingers have been fantasizing about this since the late 90s. I'm not sure many on the left realise the extent to which the existence of the BBC is an impediment to this happening, or the way that the liberal/left media eco system depends on their being something publically funded and (in intention) neutral to rely on.

Regulation against political bias goes down the toilet when the BBC goes, too. Say hello to Littlejohn or equivalent getting 10+ million listeners daily and being the most trusted news source in the country. Global warming doesn't exist, slave ships never docked in the UK, the potato famine was caused by workshy farmers and gays did aids on purpose.

chveik

they won't get rid of the news section, it's doing their dirty work better than any other outlet ever could

seepage

feel like pure shit just want the license fee back

pigamus

Quote from: Midas on January 16, 2022, 01:46:50 PMnot celebrating, but can't exactly drum up any interest in its demise. barely anyone my age actually watches it, i'm afraid.

I wish I felt more strongly about it as well. I know BBC News isn't the whole BBC. I know it still does good stuff. But it feels like the BBC we all grew up with is in the past. I don't see how the licence fee is sustainable.