Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:34:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tonga volcanic fuckdown

Started by Harry Badger, January 17, 2022, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Badger

Didn't see a thread for this. It looks likes a devastating amount of damage has been done and there's a disturbing shortage of information coming out of the island, though apparently power has been restored. The blast was so powerful it caused flooding in California.

Mobius

Yeah we had crazy red skies in Brisbane this morning due to the ash cloud.

Seems like it was very bad.

touchingcloth

JaDanketies

Stunning footage from space.

Heard from a low-quality source that this is the kind of volcanic eruption that can have effects on the global climate. might buy us some time for global warming. Certainly looked like a big fuckin explosion from the space footage

buttgammon

This looks awful, and there are some nasty side effects like acid rain too. Just looking at it on a map, Tonga looks isolated at the best of times, the lack of communication is worrying indeed. It sounds as though their main cable connection to the outside world may have been severed.

Harry Badger

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 17, 2022, 11:30:08 AMStunning footage from space.

Heard from a low-quality source that this is the kind of volcanic eruption that can have effects on the global climate. might buy us some time for global warming. Certainly looked like a big fuckin explosion from the space footage

I love the grossly inappropriate tribal drumming soundtrack on that video.

Re global warming - how does that work? By literally blocking the sun with ash? Cos I wouldn't have thought that was good - it wasn't in 1815.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 17, 2022, 11:36:48 AMI love the grossly inappropriate tribal drumming soundtrack on that video.

Re global warming - how does that work? By literally blocking the sun with ash? Cos I wouldn't have thought that was good - it wasn't in 1815.

Yeah it will lead to famine and chaos. But it'll lower global temperatures, too. Apparently Yellowstone would lead to a 2 degrees C drop for 20 years! every (ash) cloud...

Harry Badger

If the Yellowstone Caldera went up that would pretty much end civilisation as we know it.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 17, 2022, 11:51:52 AMIf the Yellowstone Caldera went up that would pretty much end civilisation as we know it.

mmmaybe. There have been two eruptions of Yellowstone-level intensity since humans came about. It'd certainly be a big change but I reckon billions would survive. Civilisation as we know it is on a knife-edge cos of climate change anyway. A Yellowstone eruption might be just what we need.

mothman

There's an image doing the rounds showing the size of the explosion superimposed on France. Here's an animated version:

https://twitter.com/dsaezgil/status/1482618629862559744

Could have been worse, could just have been an explosion the size of Belgium...

Inspector Norse

This Reuters report has some amazing patronising crass quotes from Australian/NZ government blokes. One guy focusing on the damage to tourist resorts, another making crappy tsunami jokes. The volcano expert gets one line and uses it to basically say it looked really cool from space.

The lad who drove the ice cream van in our neighbourhood was saving up to go to Tonga. Wonder if he got lavaed.

mothman

You'd know if he'd been Tongaed.

Harry Badger

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 17, 2022, 11:59:00 AMmmmaybe. There have been two eruptions of Yellowstone-level intensity since humans came about. It'd certainly be a big change but I reckon billions would survive. Civilisation as we know it is on a knife-edge cos of climate change anyway. A Yellowstone eruption might be just what we need.

The difference then to now is that our our economy amd society are so complex that any forced simplification via natural disaster, climate change, or my personal favourite, resource depletion will have that much more devastating an effect. Simpler societies have far more resiliance.

mothman

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 17, 2022, 12:15:21 PMThe difference then to now is that our our economy amd society are so complex that any forced simplification via natural disaster, climate change, or my personal favourite, resource depletion will have that much more devastating an effect. Simpler societies have far more resiliance.
In theory, yes. In practice - when said societies find the entire remaining US military has been tasked to move in and take control so as to move millions of their own citizens there - not so much.

ZoyzaSorris

I think he meant that prehistoric societies around when Yellowstone last went off would have been more resilient in the face of massive global environmental changes than an advanced modern society with very high population density reliant on a continual supply of industrial-scale food production ..

mothman

You're right. But the second part of what I said, that'll still happen!

greenman

I'm guessing similar to the 19th century eruption of Krakatoa, it has been eruopting previously and the lava chamber under it was emptied enough that it collapsed causing an explosion when the seawater hit the lava.

Don't think its going to be large enough to have a signifcant effort on global temps though, Tambora in 1815 was quite a lot larger, the largest eruption in several thousand years.

Thursday

Can we just have the environmental disaster that actually wipes us all out now please? It's the waiting I can't stand.

Emma Raducanu

Hope all the fish are okay too

idunnosomename

This is happens when you shit and cum at the same time

bgmnts

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 17, 2022, 11:41:09 AMYeah it will lead to famine and chaos. But it'll lower global temperatures, too. Apparently Yellowstone would lead to a 2 degrees C drop for 20 years! every (ash) cloud...

Well considering some of the main negative outcomes of global warming and climate change are famine and global chaos, it doesn't seem like an impeovement.

Quote from: Harry Badger on January 17, 2022, 12:15:21 PMThe difference then to now is that our our economy amd society are so complex that any forced simplification via natural disaster, climate change, or my personal favourite, resource depletion will have that much more devastating an effect. Simpler societies have far more resiliance.

Tell that to the Hittites.

katzenjammer

And it wouldn't do anything to counteract  other serious effects of CO2 emissions like ocean acidification

imitationleather

Christ. These days even a thread on here about a massive disaster where probably thousands of people have died horrible deaths becomes an excuse for you guys to look at the negatives in life.

bgmnts

mothman

I'd really hoped no parrots were involved. Sadly it was not to be.

bgmnts

So is Tonga fucked now and will we all be fucked soon?

Just want to know because I want to try and complete a few games first.

Butchers Blind

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 17, 2022, 11:59:00 AMmmmaybe. There have been two eruptions of Yellowstone-level intensity since humans came about. It'd certainly be a big change but I reckon billions would survive. Civilisation as we know it is on a knife-edge cos of climate change anyway. A Yellowstone eruption might be just what we need.
I, too, wish for a natural disaster to kill billions of people - just not me or anyone I know, of course.