Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

going on the anti depressants thread

Started by madhair60, February 06, 2022, 11:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

the stupidest and most fucked up thing about all this is I am actually being successful, I have a lot of prospects and exciting shit happening to me, AND I CAN'T ENJOY IT AT ALL. BRAIN IS ENEMY. Alright cheers

Jerzy Bondov

I didn't like CBT, it's too much like hard work and I basically just want to take a pill that stops me thinking about dying all the time. Normal counselling was better for me, just having someone you can moan at and they've got to listen and definitely aren't just waiting to change the subject. No homework.

With creativity, yes I was worried about that too. The first time I was on the pills I wrote a novel and this time around I've done 63 comic strips in a couple of months. I'm a genius tho

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2022, 12:17:59 PMthe stupidest and most fucked up thing about all this is I am actually being successful, I have a lot of prospects and exciting shit happening to me, AND I CAN'T ENJOY IT AT ALL. BRAIN IS ENEMY. Alright cheers

That's actually quite promising isn't it? That would just mean it's most likely chemical and your problem will be solved by just taking a pill.

I'd sell my own mother into slavery for that.

jobotic

Yeah been a while but the last time I took some it was Sertraline, for a few months. Feel really sick for the first couple of weeks but that went away and they did help. Stopped my thoughts whizzing about all over the shop so that they didn't make sense and was actually able to switch off every now and then.

The Giggling Bean

From 2008 to around 2013 I suffered pretty badly with anxiety and depression. I didn't recognise it at first because you never think it'll happen to you. However it got to the point where I was potentially going to lose my job over it.

I stumbled across a symptom list for it and it was like a light bulb went off. I went to the Doctors and he prescribed me Fluroxetine. After 2 or 3 weeks it was like I was seeing for the first time. I didn't have the stomach cramps that had plagued me for all that time. The panic attacks were gone and I got back on an even keel.

I don't remember having any side effects the first time (second time I had it my face swelled up) but it genuinely helped me.

I wish you the very best with it and hope that it helps you.

bgmnts

How are all you guys just getting depressed for a temporary time and getting better? Is that generally how it works?

JaDanketies

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2022, 04:24:53 PMHow are all you guys just getting depressed for a temporary time and getting better? Is that generally how it works?

what they're telling my fiancee is that she should take these SSRIs until she feels stable, and also engage with CBT so she can sort out her nasty thought processes, and then when she's figured that out, she can start to come off the SSRIs.

What they initially told her about three years ago when she started was that the SSRIs will help you retrain your brain, so you stop using the same negative mental thought processes over and over again. And then when you come off them, your brain has learned a new way to think.

It's like how you could take something to block the effect of nicotine, and then your brain will stop making all these connections between smoking cigarettes and feeling good, and then eventually you stop taking the nicotine-blocker and your brain has already stopped promoting all the associated habits. So you take the SSRIs and you make a mistake at work or whatever, your think, "ah it doesn't matter really, it'll get fixed," and then your brain learns that when you make a mistake at work, it should go down the "it doesn't matter so much" route rather than the "oh my god I'm gonna get fired, I can't do my job, I am useless" route.

but yeah a lot of people take them forever, and you can't just stop using them cold-turkey regardless.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2022, 04:24:53 PMHow are all you guys just getting depressed for a temporary time and getting better? Is that generally how it works?

I'm not cured by any stretch of the imagination, I've come to accept that, without therapy that I can ill afford, this is sort of my lot, I've had suicidal thoughts on and off since I was 17, any time I've been on medication was to stop me acting on it.

Sometimes it's a tool and not a cure.

TrenterPercenter

Most people recover from depression (80% of treated episodes), it's a very treatable disorder. 

Twit 2

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2022, 04:24:53 PMHow are all you guys just getting depressed for a temporary time and getting better?

MANIC DEPRESSION

Kankurette

I'm not cured but I'm stable, though I admit I'm pretty low at the moment.

Famous Mortimer

Like I said in the other thread, they've worked for me pretty well. I started them early 2020, and stuff that would have had me at the cyanide previously has been cope-able. If I can never go off them, then fair enough really.

Poobum

I can confirm the withdrawal from venlafaxine is horrible business, but they help me keep within certain limits when it comes to moods. Combined with CBT and talking therapy I've gone from suicidal complete shut in to stressing about how I'm sorting out 6 months monitoring bears in the Apennine mountains. Absolute better class of problem and the pills are a crucial component.

imitationleather

I've been on venlafaxine for three years now. It's the only antidepressant that's done anything for me. When I think back to how I used to be I really wish I'd got on them a lot sooner.

Just don't miss a dose and you're laughing.

By the way I don't think they give it to people who've never been on antidepressants before. You've got to try something else and it not work before it's offered.

RetroRobot

Fingers crossed mate.
Not to take over but I'm on mirtazapine at the mo and had gotten better, but then my old man died and I started a new job with super bubbly people when I'm a socially anxious undiagnosed autist. Change is difficult and it's wrecked me so I've got an appointment Thursday. Ideally want to up my dose for a bit and get some counselling. Any tips?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on February 07, 2022, 12:16:36 PMthanks to work I do have access to counselling but basically I've avoided pills because I was worried about them changing me or making it so I couldn't draw comics, make stuff (I know this is childish but honestly if I can't do them I don't really see the point in being alive?).

I don't think it's childish at all, but I do think it's one of the biggest misconceptions about anti-depressants, it might be the case if you're put on a very high dosage, but they rarely do that to begin with and I've only ever found that anti-depressants help me creativity wise as I'm not miserable / sobbing / dealing with suicidal thoughts, etc.

Side effects vary from person to person, but I'd say 90% of the time when I've been put on anti-depressants I've not had any, and that's been a good ten plus times over the decades. When I had citalopram and depakote I had a lovely feeling like my brain was wrapped in cotton wool and nothing bothered me in the slightest, but that sadly only lasted a couple of weeks, while when I started on Paroxetine I found myself more anxious for about a month or so, and some medication sometimes adversely effects my sex drive, but luckily they're the only ones I've had.

chveik

get on the happy pills mate, one of man's best inventions. you'll probably be knackered at first so it will interfere with your creativity but after that it doesn't really change how you think, just keep the bad thoughts at bay a bit.

pancreas

Just to make my customary offer of robust interrogative counselling, should you wish it.

Don't know why no-one ever takes me up on this offer. What if it actually works and you're all missing out?

mothman

Because we all know that by "robust interrogative counselling" you mean "bumming."

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on February 07, 2022, 08:35:04 PMBecause we all know that by "robust interrogative counselling" you mean "bumming."

Nothing wrong with that!

madhair60

Quote from: pancreas on February 07, 2022, 08:27:41 PMJust to make my customary offer of robust interrogative counselling, should you wish it.

Don't know why no-one ever takes me up on this offer. What if it actually works and you're all missing out?

yeah absolutely, let's go

mothman

Are you sitting comfortably? Because you won't be.

bgmnts

I'd genuinely imagine a nice bumming to be more useful than therapy to be fair. At least you get a nice jizz out of it.

peanutbutter

I was on venlafaxine twice (75mg and 150mg, iirc), def the most beneficial one. Second time I started right before I was about to be doing a lot of new important things in the hope it would prevent the apathy that was gonna result in me bailing on everything and it 100% done the job.

I didn't find the withdrawals when I quit that bad stuff all tbh. Missing a day meant I'd feel like shit the next day but quitting entirely was no worse. From what I gather off drug Reddit they've a very low half life so I guess that makes sense but everyone else I know that was on them is terrified of the withdrawals

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 07, 2022, 10:24:13 PMFrom what I gather off drug Reddit
Please don't have this as your primary information source.

bgmnts

I actually think I'm gonna get back on some meds once I get my cough sorted. Are there any others beyond citalopram, fluoxetine and sertraline? They are all dogshit.

idunnosomename

sertraline rules but my GP seems intent to get me off it. cut me off right before christmas and got put on a lower dose. caved my fucking head in.

wasnt like this when they were throwing statins at my boomer dad 20 years ago

Glebe

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 07, 2022, 11:23:37 PMsertraline rules but my GP seems intent to get me off it. cut me off right before christmas and got put on a lower dose. caved my fucking head in.

Fuck's sake. Mebbe change GP?

Kankurette

Not childish at all. You love doing the comic and it makes you happy, right? And it has a lot of fans.

madhair60

got an appointment with GP thursday aft'