Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Conduct on CaB

Started by Barry Admin, April 20, 2022, 01:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Hello friends. I find that I deliberately look at GB less these days, and am thinking of some radical changes.  While I continue to mull that over though, I think it's a good time to send out a reminder about the expectations I have about the usage of this old place.

I've observed or been told about various things by people over the years - and I notice a lot of stuff myself - so I'm going to address some of them now.

Firstly, none of us are perfect, I blow my top at times and tell people to fuck off.  It happens.  I am usually able to apologise and move on though, and I ask you to do the same if need be. 

BLOCKING CUNTS: The "block users" function has long been requested on here, I always resisted turning it on.  Why?  Cause a lot of people simply don't use it, or they turn it into a weapon.  If you're using it, keep it largely to yourself - I do notice when people try to wind up folks they hate by talking about the block function all the time.  I got incensed by someone on another platform the other day and blocked the cunt, and now I have that urge to keep hitting the button to see what he's said.  Ergo, on some level, I must want to continue getting into spats, mustn't I.

PM ABUSE: This is an important one; it's tough being an admin as you just have to figure it out, and sometimes I think I should contact people in private more often, rather than dealing with things publicly.  I prefer transparency as I've had people misrepresent me before.  Regardless, it is absolutely not okay to be using the PM system on here to abuse people.  There is a "report to moderator" button in the PM section which you can hit, and it will send a complete copy of that PM to mu inbox.  USE IT.

Again, if someone pisses you off on CaB it is not okay to then give them an absolute chewing out via the PM system, and this needs to be reported to me so that I'm made aware of it and so I can deal with it. 

Similarily, if someone is getting up your pisser all the time on the forums, use the report function. This sends me a link to the exact post.  Include as much context as you wish in the report, the more info the better so I know what to look out for when I read through the whole thing. 

You can always contact me by PM, but I have trouble keeping up with them as it is, and the longer your PM is the harder it is for me to respond.  I've had people get really pissed off at me before because I send them a quick reply to huge dissertations that they send me - please be assured that I read abslolutely everything, but this is a hobby and not a job, and I'm not much of a talkative person on a 1 to 1 basis tbh, so don't be offended. I want to be back at trying to improve this place for everyone, instead of having to deal with all this kind of interpersonal stuff - please help me. 

I take all this kind of thing really seriously - if a post gets reported, I then have to go and read the entire thread, even if it's a subject that bores the tits off me.  I don't want a pat on the back here, I'm letting you know that I take this all seriously and spend more time behind the scenes on all this than you would imagine, so please work with me. 

If you have a vendetta against someone on here, block them and move on with your life.  Please.  Don't follow them around all the time trying to irritate them, and if you feel someone is doing that, come to me. 

VIOLENT LANGUAGE:  I'll say it again - this fucking sucks; it looks lazy and shit and unfunny.  If you want to communicate your extreme displeasure about a celbrity or something, try and be funny.  Do not be posting violent statements on here that look serious when taken out of context. e.g. "I hope that cunt gets shot in the face."  I know why people write like that, and I know it's not serious, but it's absolutely fucking grim and we can do much better.

That's all I can think of for now.  Please try and have fun on here, I just want you all to have something nice to read, and we're all part of a community here, so make an effort. 

Thank you.

Neil

Barry Admin

Oh and don't be sexist btw, I don't want associated with that shit.  Shouldn't be any bigotry on here. 

Most of you know what the tone is or should be.  Jokes is jokes and there's a bit of leeway there, but I can't be fucked with platforming hateful content in this day and age just for the sake of "free speech" or "the marketplace of ideas."

*Placeholder post in case anything else occurs to me.*

Barry Admin

Backseat moderating: I appreciate the gesture, but this is really not needed, and is almost always counterproductive.  Removing all this kind of shit from the Linehan threads every time it pops up has made them a much more friendly environment, and means the threads aren't constantly dragged off topic.  Much more interesting to read.

If you see an issue, please flag it up to me using the report to moderator function.  Threads will not keep getting dragged down into interpersonal sniping, concern trolling or anything else like that. 

I'm the only boss here, that's it.

Trolling: If you don't like the site and don't have anything productive to say, take a break from it.  If you wade into a thread just to call us all fuckwits or whatever - and are clearly just angling for negative attention - then that's not on. 

Barry Admin

A reminder about this as I'm getting multiple complaints again, and culpable deniability only goes so far with me:

QuoteIf you have a vendetta against someone on here, block them and move on with your life.  Please.  Don't follow them around all the time trying to irritate them, and if you feel someone is doing that, come to me.

I'll also remind people that it's against the rules to keep going on about banned members - this includes referencing them in a way where it's obvious who you mean, but which you think circumvents the rule by not directly naming them.

Move on. Please, please stop being so openly hostile and suspicious to almost every new poster - it is gross. If you suspect someone to be a banned member, use the report function please.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 03, 2022, 04:57:21 PMA reminder about this as I'm getting multiple complaints again, and culpable deniability only goes so far with me:

I'll also remind people that it's against the rules to keep going on about banned members - this includes referencing them in a way where it's obvious who you mean, but which you think circumvents the rule by not directly naming them.

Move on. Please, please stop being so openly hostile and suspicious to almost every new poster - it is gross. If you suspect someone to be a banned member, use the report function please.

Bump