Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Refusing to pay energy bills

Started by Bernice, July 22, 2022, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 08, 2022, 06:42:41 PMMy excuse?  "Convention"

See this is why private schools need to be fucked off for ever.

We wouldn't be where we are today without convention.  Something to inspire a little trace-kicking even in the mildest heart, I'd've thought.

AllisonSays

I'm just in the middle of moving house (from one rental to another) and to get offered a contract from the new rental we've had to submit ourselves to a series of checks from an external agency. Now my suspicion is that the agency makes their checking process sound much more sophisticated than it is but I imagine nonpayment of bills might be one thing they'd be able to find, which might mean not getting a place to live, which in the middle of a rental crisis...

I dunno, like, I'm agnostic about the idea and agree with Buelligan that some kind of action seems needed, but important to be cleareyed about the possible risks.

Fambo Number Mive

As the Chancellor isn't stepping down in September, why can't he announce some cost of living measures? If the new PM wants to have a reshuffle they will but surely Zahawi is still Chancellor until then?

Replies From View

*hand shoots up*

It's because they couldn't give less of a fuck, sir.

Fambo Number Mive

I know but you'd think the media would make that point when they use the "convention" excuse.

Mind you, I suppose most of the media don't really care either and/or have a vested interest in the status quo.

shoulders

Quote from: Buelligan on August 08, 2022, 04:04:05 PMThe credit history thing's quite horrific, isn't it?  I mean British culture and finances (they are not alone in this) are built around the idea of charming people into deeper and deeper debt until the only things keeping them afloat are their continued personal debts.  And now the same finance companies are controlling peoples' options, politics, lives, with the threat of excluding them as potential debtors.  Something has gone very wrong.

It's like vampires threatening people, if they enjoy a nice aioli, they won't be allowed to die by being drained of blood.  The only reason we need credit histories is to allow capitalists to keep growing the market by miring as many people as possible in personal debt.

Being in debt (a relatively small amount but nevertheless one that took over 18 months to get out of) allowed me to reach similar conclusions regarding this shit, shit system.

Your comparison is apt and I agree totally.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: shoulders on August 08, 2022, 07:16:15 PMBeing in debt (a relatively small amount but nevertheless one that took over 18 months to get out of) allowed me to reach similar conclusions regarding this shit, shit system.

Your comparison is apt and I agree totally.

It's the financial instruments that allow buying and selling debt that I don't understand.

Buelligan

And you know what's weird.?  These cunts are the same cunts that tell you there's no magic money tree, that you have to tighten your belt because you can't spend what you don't have, that we have to go under austerity again because, otherwise, we're only passing debt forward to the future.  Whilst all the time promoting personal debt to trap all the little people to the wheel.  LIARS.

Buelligan

Got those stickers yet, Mollusk?

Jerrykeshton

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 08, 2022, 07:43:05 PMIt's the financial instruments that allow buying and selling debt that I don't understand.

Can I just buy my own debt?  If an agency is offering 10p on the pound to the company, I'd like to pay 11p on the pound plus a reasonable admin fee (probably about the same as getting out of insurance seems a fair few)

That seems a win win for the company - they get more, I pay less. The only losers are Bailiffs