Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

do you believe in aliens or ghosts

Started by kittens, August 06, 2022, 11:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliens or ghosts

aliens
29 (64.4%)
ghosts
10 (22.2%)
an tsaoi
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 07, 2022, 12:41:04 AMThis is quite a naive view, not being shitty or owt but we don't really understand enough about physics etc to say with absolute certainty you can't travel light years in short times. I would be more surprised if there wasn't aliens and also if we aren't known to other life out there.

Well the lack of knowledge is the key point, isn't it? I'm not going to claim to be a physics expert, but I believe the current sit rep on humanity's understanding of physics is that nothing that has mass can achieve the speed of light. And any hypotheses on how to change that involve things like compressing or bending space, dark matter and "negative energy" that are at this point effectively witchcraft. That's how far away we are from doing interstellar travel. When we were figuring out how to fly, we at least had birds and insects to look at for inspiration and to know flight was definitely possible, and understood what gravity was.

If interstellar travel is possible, I think we'll have found a way to wipe ourselves out long before we figure it out. So we're back to highly advanced aliens coming here and possibly doing that for us if we're going to meet aliens.

checkoutgirl

I wish I was credulous enough to believe in ghosts and aliens and Bigfoot and all that. It sounds like fun. The mystery of it. Something's out there in the woods or the mountains or an old house or in space in a saucer.

imitationleather

It was a lot easier to believe in that stuff before the internet when the only access to the info was documentaries on Sky and magazines just under the top shelf in Costcutter.

imitationleather

Being a child at the time helped also.

The Mollusk

I only specifically believe in marauding spectres

timebug

Given the size of the cosmos, Aliens maybe exist somewhere out there. But ghosts? Nah, behave.

Icehaven

Ghost yes, ghosts no.
But there'd better be aliens. God help the universe if we're the only beings it ever produces that can even try and comprehend it.

dontpaintyourteeth

Spoon of Ploff

ghosts are just time travelling aliens who haven't quite worked it out yet.

Dr Rock

I reckon there could be an afterlife based on some super-advanced benevolent alien species finding a way for all living things in the universe to go somewhere nice when they die.

TrenterPercenter

Can I just check, are you only allowed to choose one?

kittens

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 07, 2022, 11:46:54 AMI reckon there could be an afterlife based on some super-advanced benevolent alien species finding a way for all living things in the universe to go somewhere nice when they die.

this is like my wholehearted belief in vr heaven. maybe I'll start believing yours instead, it's more fun and doesn't rely on benevolent billionaires

kittens

Quote from: kittens on August 07, 2022, 12:38:17 PMthis is like my wholehearted belief in vr heaven. maybe I'll start believing yours instead, it's more fun and doesn't rely on benevolent billionaires

You aren't allowed to choose any

Ferris

Just realized in Alien vs Predator the Predators were also aliens so what were they fighting about? Should have been called Alien type a vs Alien type b.

Not sure how ghosts factor in to all this. Do aliens have ghosts when they die?

Lemming

I believe in aliens to the extent of looking at the scale of the universe and going "yeah probably something there somewhere". As for ghosts, fuck that, ghosts are the biggest load of bollocks ever. Got dragged out on a ghost hunt by a friend who truly believes in this shit, and everyone else there hit Yvette Fielding levels of hysteria in the first ten minutes. Wotsits packet blowing across the field in the wind, oh my god they're here!! They're trying to talk to us!! Fuck off.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on August 06, 2022, 11:25:05 PMBut let's say they are humanoid. If they're the more technologically advanced race and get to Earth rather than us getting to them, what's the bets they do to us what white people did to brown people in the Colonial Period ie. genocide and enslavement?
It could be the case that humanity is uniquely shit and Earth is the only planet in the galaxy or even universe to ever have had world wars or systemic slavery or patriarchy or what-have-you, and that all other sentient races that evolved in the universe are extremely peaceable to the point that they don't even really understand the concepts of genocide or slavery.

Had this thought while reading about different types of aquarium fish and seeing that some species are inherently violent while others are inherently peaceful, sometimes with that distinction existing also between the two sexes of the same species. Some of our closest relatives are chimps, who are renowned for screeching, defecating on themselves, utterly losing all emotional control, and ripping bystander's faces off, so maybe there's just something up with humans on an inherent level. I have noticed a strange inborn desire to throw my own shit at people and rip their lips off with my teeth when they inflict a minor slight upon me. Could be that all other sentient life in the universe evolved from capybaras or something - nobody ever heard of a capybara ripping someone's face off.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Nah sorry, they're all a load of bollocks :(

If they did exist would we need to find new words for alienated and ghosted? Because they both have real world meanings but if they existed those words would need to be repurposed to mean being turned into a alien and being made into a ghost respectively

itsfredtitmus

mate i dont even believe in brian cox or radiohead

kittens

i
Quote from: kittens on August 07, 2022, 12:39:22 PM You aren't allowed to choose any

in this post I meant to quite trenter. im dum

TrenterPercenter

Sherringford Hovis

Ignore The Machine is a banger.
Square Hammer likewise.

Otherwise? Meh.

I believe in the holy toad, and NOTHING else.

Space is probably teeming with all sorts. Space ghosts in space boats, aliens, bigfeet, aliens with big feet, the lot.

badaids

I believe in Aliens because I've seen it but, however I don't believe in Ghosts because I don't believe they ever made a sequel to that film.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 12:03:42 AM

The Qatar 2022 mascot La'eeb is real and he's a ghost.

Looks like the latest release from Orange Milk Records

Glebe

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 12:03:42 AM

The Qatar 2022 mascot La'eeb is real and he's a ghost.

Casper reboot "looks shit".

Qatar the Friendly Ghost.

Replies From View

what if you get to heaven right and it's just jason donovan there, and he's not even looking at you, he's trying to force-feed himself some kind of pre-death ghost he has found of james corden

and you realise that's what heaven is:  it's whoever hasn't starved when the only food is pre-death ghosts of shit comedians

and it's horrible, imagine trying to swallow the largest jellyfish available, and you're not able to chop it up to make it easier

Icehaven

Quote from: Lemming on August 07, 2022, 01:59:23 PMI believe in aliens to the extent of looking at the scale of the universe and going "yeah probably something there somewhere". As for ghosts, fuck that, ghosts are the biggest load of bollocks ever. Got dragged out on a ghost hunt by a friend who truly believes in this shit, and everyone else there hit Yvette Fielding levels of hysteria in the first ten minutes. Wotsits packet blowing across the field in the wind, oh my god they're here!! They're trying to talk to us!! Fuck off.

I've been on a few similar things myself as a complete sceptic and been in the same room as people swearing blind they can see or hear things that I and others couldn't. I definitely don't think everyone who's ever claimed to have seen a ghost is lying, and I also don't think they're seeing the spirits of the dead, but I don't know what it is they're seeing, if it's just hallucinations or tiredness or what.
I read a good book recently about the history of ghost hunting, Chasing Ghosts by Marc Hartzman, and it's amazing how the whole industry, and the entire religion of Spiritualism, came from just a few Victorian/Edwardian fraudsters.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on August 06, 2022, 11:28:40 PMIf we get to their planet under God-Emperor-General Musk, instead of them getting to us, we probably will genocide them.

Not before checking whether or not they're tasty, I hope.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

seepage

Quote from: Ferris on August 07, 2022, 12:43:38 PMJust realized in Alien vs Predator the Predators were also aliens so what were they fighting about? Should have been called Alien type a vs Alien type b.

Jose vs Jose B