Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has Anyone Been Successfully Cancelled?

Started by lazyhour, August 07, 2022, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Apologies if we've done this already.

Has anyone to your knowledge been properly cancelled (ie, permanently lost their career and been effectively silenced in the media) for something that wasn't a crime or borderline criminal, ie sexual assault, racism or violence? I'd presume that any sane person would want to shun a rapist or a racist, right? That's hardly a new phenomenon.

Jon Ronson's book about public shaming has the story of the woman who made a joke on Twitter that got her fired from her job and ruined her life for at least a few years, but that's the only example that comes to mind.

Any others?

Sebastian Cobb

Katy Hopkins managed to spew enough bile LBC gave her the boot for being too much of a liability and losing her Twitter account shrunk her sphere of influence to much smaller proportions. Then she got sued by Jack Monroe lololol.

H-O-W-L

cacciaguida

That Milo guy?

Or was he simply de-platformed...

Sebastian Cobb

Jeremy Kyle claims he was, all he did was hector his guests to the point of suicide!

Zero Gravitas

I'm not sure a 'Successful' public shaming need to cause someone to have "permanently lost their career and been effectively silenced in the media" Matt Damon for example has bounced back pretty quickly but he sure as hell won't be joking about Mr. Brains anymore.

The belief that there's generally some extra-judicial 'cancellation' beyond people just going 'Yeah that's disgusting, I'm not going to listen to Antichrist Superstar for at least a year!' is the domain of the warped.

People can only keep so many psychic forehead tattoos in their brain at once.

Jake Thingray

Stoneage Dinosaurs

My understanding is that 'cancellation' is a very vague thing that generally falls into one of 3 categories:

1. People who've done or said something dodgy that got them in the media as a bad bastard but everyone forgot about after a few weeks (eg. just about everyone who's been online at some point)
2. People who've done or said something dodgy and rather than apologise, decided to double down and continue to be shitty about it, losing friends and opportunities and blaming this on 'cancel culture' despite the fact that they could easily fix this just by listening to the people they've hurt, and the fact that they've actually in many cases gained new friends and opportunities courtesy of twats with an appreciation for blatant twattery (eg Rowling, Linehan)
3. People who've done or said something horrifically dodgy to the point where they are properly irredeemable in society's eyes and have been actually properly 'cancelled' as a result, deservedly so(eg Weinstein, Cosby, Watkins)

So I'd prefer it if the shouty idiot crowd to explain which of these types of 'cancellation' they actually take issue with, cause all 3 seem to make perfect sense to me.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Actually I guess there's a type 4, People who've done or said something very dodgy but have avoided any real consequences by pretending nothing happened and continuing as normal (aka the Louis)

idunnosomename

Quote from: cacciaguida on August 07, 2022, 11:24:24 PMThat Milo guy?

Or was he simply de-platformed...

he was outed as a fucking paedophile apologist.

anyway he seems to be an intern for wingnut representative Marjorie Taylor Greene now

JesusAndYourBush

5. People who posted something mildly offensive 15 years ago and some muckraking twits dug deep to find it and really you should forget about it rather than ruin someone's life over some words they wrote when they were a kid.

Tony Tony Tony

John Barrowman got in a whole lot of bother for getting his knob out, leading to a slew of cancellations (see Wikipedia).

Just looked him up and most of his latest work seems to be voice overs. Presume you can do this with your knob out?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lazyhour on August 07, 2022, 10:54:27 PMAny others?

Wasn't John Leslie blacklisted? Can't remember if it were ever proved or if he got in legal trouble or if Ulrika even named him.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Jake Thingray on August 07, 2022, 11:28:49 PMHopefully Alex Belfield.

Doesn't fit the OP given that he was actually convicted of four offences.

buzby

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 08, 2022, 12:26:21 AMWasn't John Leslie blacklisted? Can't remember if it were ever proved or if he got in legal trouble or if Ulrika even named him.

Ulrika didn't name him. Mathew Wright named him on live TV in 2002 as the anonymous rapist in Ulrika's book, which was a mistake. The tabloid press ran with it though.

He's been charged and in court three times for indecent assault (2003, 2018 and 2020), In the 2003 and 2020 cases the charges were dropped and Not Guilty verticts were recorded. The 2018 case was in Scotland and a Not Proven verdict was recorded. He was also investigated on another charge of rape and indecent assault in 2008, dating back to 1995, but no charges were brought due to insufficient evidence.

Mr_Simnock

I was thinking Rory McGrath? But he was popped in prison for that stalking he did.

Edit, what the fuck happened to nick hancock? also of 'they think it's all over' infamy, he hasn't had much work since?

shoulders

Kankurette

jobotic

Three (I think) deputy police crime commissioners have resigned following comments they made that weren't illegal.

Although the actual PCC for Notts hasn't, despite breaking the law.

Armed Traffic Warden

Jesus Christ. Dude got what was coming. Greatest Glory ever Holed, indeed.

shiftwork2

Quote from: shoulders on August 08, 2022, 07:50:21 AMJLC?

Good Times!

This reminds me, I really must get round to reading his autobiography, also called Good Times.  There was once such a thing as a CaB Secret Santa and a signed copy of this arrived through my letterbox.  Many thanks to whoever sent it, and I hope you all have lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Don't forget the trimmins.

pigamus

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 08, 2022, 02:21:14 AMI was thinking Rory McGrath? But he was popped in prison for that stalking he did.

Edit, what the fuck happened to nick hancock? also of 'they think it's all over' infamy, he hasn't had much work since?

Packed it all in and went to work in insurance iirc.

imitationleather

I don't get why Rory McGrath was tolerated for so long.

A really horrific blister of a man.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on August 07, 2022, 11:41:02 PMSo I'd prefer it if the shouty idiot crowd to explain which of these types of 'cancellation' they actually take issue with, cause all 3 seem to make perfect sense to me.

Cancelled is vague and has a spectrum (as you kindof outline), it was just a word used on Twitter to denote someones removal from the site therefore it seems logically that de-platforming is a form of cancellation, censorship is a form of cancellation, and having your character misrepresented continually as to obscure and remove your ability to communicate (aka Corbyn) is also a form of cancellation.

So with this in mind there is a an obvious big flaw in your logic

i.e. people that don't do anything wrong or their cancellation (in degree) is not proportionate to what they said or did.  Which is the majority of actual "cancellations" i.e. people getting banned from platforms, removed from political parties and groups and bullied offline (Lyndsey Ellis)

There is a clear power differential also that is reluctant to be considered within the group who's interest it is in (this is why you have laws and not mob rule).  Lyndsey Ellis in her position had an increased amount of power to influence cancellations, yet there was sufficient power across her followers to ultimately cancel her (via self censorship).  This is a key element of any hierarchal group, formal or informal.  Online groups have been given this sense of power which is often corporatised (people get "dropped" because they become off brand) and the left needs to get a bit more concerned with what this actually does, doesn't do (it's highly limited truly powerful people do not get cancelled) and how I can be miss used.

buzby

Quote from: pigamus on August 08, 2022, 08:40:34 AM
Quote from: Mr_Simnock on August 08, 2022, 02:21:14 AMEdit, what the fuck happened to nick hancock? also of 'they think it's all over' infamy, he hasn't had much work since?
Packed it all in and went to work in insurance iirc.
He gave up on showbusiness and moved back to Stoke after he was replaced on They Think It's All Over by Lee Mack in 2005. Some friends back home ran a mortgage brokers and offered him a job there. He only did that for a year though as he couldn't get used to the daily grind of normal work. After that he became a househusband, while still doing the occasional TV or radio guest spots. He got back into presenting in 2008 for the ITV quiz show Duel, and the BBC2 quiz show Breakaway in 2012, but then returned to semi-retirement.

He still pops up on the radio as a guest presenter and TV on things like Pointless Celebrities and Antiques Road Trip every so often, he's even done some acting - he played a recurring character in C4's social workers comedy Damned between 2016-2018, and the odd epiosde of things like Midsomer Murders.

Zetetic

Zetetic

Was wondering what happened to Jack Monahan, but it looks like he's back at Stellar Jockeys.

I don't really know what to make of that.