Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is HS Art the most suitable forum for 'creative' topics?

Started by Crenners, August 08, 2022, 08:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crenners

I'd like to start some photography discussion but I'm not convinced whether HS Art is actually the best place for it.

One, the first page tends to roll over much faster than any other subforum because of the constant stream of one-post topics (including by me).

Two, as a consequence, only the people interested in HS Art humour/whimsy ever look at it.

Three, because of the above, you wouldn't get a catchment of interested posters stumbling across the thread.

Four, it feels out of place next to threads like 'clagnut, tagnut, doompety-do'.

I was thinking maybe PC Gone Mad but that's not a natural fit, either.

I have Covid and feel quite restless hence giving this any thought at all.

This isn't intended as criticism of the board structure rather than an open reflection.

TrenterPercenter

General Bullshit seems the best place for it or Picture Box

HS Art is really more about anus related stuff. 

The photos are not about anus related stuff are they?

Replies From View

Replies From View

madhair60

Crenners

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 08, 2022, 09:11:33 AMGeneral Bullshit seems the best place for it or Picture Box

HS Art is really more about anus related stuff. 

The photos are not about anus related stuff are they?

Probably half anus-related but I am learning to temper my basest instincts.

I agree that PB is probably a better fit but HS Art explicitly says 'cameras'.

I'm really asking whether it's cool with Barry for me to make the transition.

popcorn

shoulders

Sink or swim motherfucker

Also, there is a photography thread.

Crenners

Quote from: shoulders on August 08, 2022, 12:23:55 PMSink or swim motherfucker

Also, there is a photography thread.

Yeah, that's what prompted my hesitation. It's on about page 9 and nobody has posted in it for months. I feel like it's lost in there and needs a new home, especially given the enormous focus this place has on discussing photography.

shoulders

Quote from: Crenners on August 08, 2022, 12:33:24 PMYeah, that's what prompted my hesitation. It's on about page 9 and nobody has posted in it for months. I feel like it's lost in there and needs a new home, especially given the enormous focus this place has on discussing photography.

Ok, maybe ask Baz to sticky it. I think that's reasonable.

If that isn't happening use it and keep using it. My pub and beers thread got stickied as they kept popping up at the top of the page.

Some people are interested but also pretty casual so they will contribute but only if the topic is there in front of them.

Mr_Simnock

The dustbin of HS Art isn't a suitable place for anything other than 'anus wanky poo poo planet frotmonger' threads, even if there was a photo thread in it I wouldn't bother. Why we can't have a whimsy sub forum and an art subforum is beyond me.

Replies From View

Quote from: Crenners on August 08, 2022, 12:09:20 PMProbably half anus-related but I am learning to temper my basest instincts.

Surely half an anus requires more effort than an entire one?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Crenners on August 08, 2022, 12:09:20 PMI'm really asking whether it's cool with Barry for me to make the transition.

Yes, absolutely.  I think it'd be good to see stuff like that in here.

The Mollusk

HS Art sucks for actual art and great stuff like Merry Hell, photography thread and Wimblewrong don't feel at home there at all. But if there was an actual sub for CaBbers own art would it be fruitful enough?

There's only so much general art that people make, a lot of which would probably end up in about four or five catch all threads like "stuff you've drawn" or the the music thread which is currently buried somewhere in Oscillations. The idea of people starting their own individual threads for each "check out this thing I painted" doesn't feel right. Sharing art with the world makes the creator feel self conscious enough as it is, and match that up with starting threads which a lot of people also feel awkward about and it seems a little doomed to failure.

Beyond that, you'd need people regularly creating dedicated threads for group art challenges/games and the like to stop the place descending into the sort of random daft arsed whimsy which HS Art is already rammed with. Whole thing seems like a tall order to be honest, and that's coming from someone who would genuinely love to see all of the above thriving here.

madhair60

I love H.S Art, it's my favourite, I wouldn't want it any other way. I wouldn't say no to a more "serious" art forum as long as we don't lose H.S Art...

Crenners

Maybe sack off General Bullshit for a dedicated photography subforum.

madhair60

imitationleather

Been saying it for years: We only need two sub-forums on here. Football and Dick Pics.

idunnosomename

H.S. Art is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In H.S. Art you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the H.S. Art motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Crenners

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2022, 09:11:11 PMH.S. Art is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In H.S. Art you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the H.S. Art motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

You've perfectly nailed the 'pay per word' copywriting trend.

Magnum Valentino

I had to go hoking for the photography thread the other day as well and agree it deserves to be on the 'normal' part of the site.

H-O-W-L

I'd vote for a general art subforum, or at least the confirmation that we could shit it out here in General Bullshit since it'd probably be dribs and drabs. I do a lot of little art stuff I'd love to share here sometimes but never feel like it fits anywhere.

touchingcloth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 08, 2022, 11:33:29 PMI'd vote for a general art subforum, or at least the confirmation that we could shit it out here in General Bullshit since it'd probably be dribs and drabs. I do a lot of little art stuff I'd love to share here sometimes but never feel like it fits anywhere.

Yeah, we don't have an arts/culture type subforum which can catch the many serious topics which don't fit neatly into CC, PB, SA, DiM.

Travel advice threads appear quite often here in GB, but photography, art, theatre sort of stuff gets bodged into the closest subforum or (I suspect) people just don't bother making threads at all. For example, I think we've had a Ghost Stories thread or discussions in CC and/or PB just because it's got the Jeremy Dyson crossover.

I'd be interested in reading the photography discussion thread wherever it happens to land anyway.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 08, 2022, 06:35:02 PMHS Art sucks for actual art and great stuff like Merry Hell, photography thread and Wimblewrong don't feel at home there at all. But if there was an actual sub for CaBbers own art would it be fruitful enough?

It would be nice to have a sub forum where you can discuss painters, sculpters, photographers, whole art movements and events, current gallery themes and exhibitons. That would be fantastic, no chance at all am I going to bother tryng to do that in HS Art as it is, complete fucking waste of time for that.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Crenners summed up my thoughts on HS Art pretty neatly in the opening post. I'm a lazy sod and probably wouldn't post much in the way of serious art myself, but I certainly wouldn't bother putting it up if it's just going to be buried under endless whimsy. Pinning the Photography thread isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't change the overall situation.

touchingcloth

As an alternative thought, what if HS Art is the most suitable forum for "creative" topics, and we, simply, ban whimsy?

Dex Sawash

RickyHamster

I was under the impression that HS Art was the ball pit for CAB's resident Colin Hunts to frolic in.