Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Raab plans to curbe judges' powers

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 08, 2022, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteDominic Raab is planning to curb judges' powers in a move likely to make it harder to bring successful legal challenges against the government in England and Wales, according to a leaked document seen by the Guardian.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) paper suggests the justice secretary, who is also deputy prime minister, is considering changes that would have the effect of limiting ministers' accountability in judicial reviews brought by claimants concerned about the way decisions have been taken by public bodies.

The move comes amid rhetoric by ministers about overreach by judges and "lefty lawyers", with the recent judicial review case – still outstanding – challenging the Rwanda deportation flight having attracted the ire of government...

Britain moving one step further towards a totalitarian state while the right wing grifters and their friends in the media try to distract people from what is actually going on.

QuoteJolyon Maugham QC , the director of the Good Law Project, which has been involved in high-profile judicial reviews against the government relating to Brexit and the VIP lane for suppliers of Covid personal protective equipment, said: "We already have laws to prevent cases that lack merit. And the efficacy of judicial review as a tool for inhibiting the law-breaking of ministers is already under grave pressure.

"These measures are designed to repel the tiny rump of cases that can nevertheless succeed. What Raab seems to want is a world in which the government is above the law."

Jerrykeshton

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 08, 2022, 10:28:20 AMBritain moving one step further towards a totalitarian state while the right wing grifters and their friends in the media try to distract people from what is actually going on.

Raab is a cunt. I'm not sure what else to say other than I hope he upsets Liz Truss and gets kicked out of Government.

Bernice