Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are you any good at public speaking?

Started by pancreas, August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Turns out I say 'er' quite a lot. Really quite a lot. I'm considering electrotherapy.

Zero Gravitas

BlodwynPig

There is a video of pancreas public speaking in Banff i think, if you look hard enough on the web. All the Ers pale into insignificance in comparison to his chalkboard skills

The Mollusk

Quote from: pancreas on August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AMTurns out I say 'er' quite a lot. Really quite a lot. I'm considering electrotherapy.

Erring on the side of caution then I see HAHAHAHA

The Mollusk

I once gave myself gastritis from the stress of giving a brief speech at my dad's wedding. Two weeks on antibiotics with my stomach acid levels through the roof because I told a room full of people I loved my old man. Not worth it.

My own wedding reception is less than 2 weeks away and I'll be doing a speech there as well. Currently heavily medicated on steroids and stomach acid reducers to push my bowel disease into remission. I'm sure this isn't a recipe for disaster.

shoulders

Yes, I clearly express that handouts are being passed around and it is for everyone's good that they read and understand the contents in full.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2022, 07:32:00 AMI once gave myself gastritis from the stress of giving a brief speech at my dad's wedding. Two weeks on antibiotics with my stomach acid levels through the roof because I told a room full of people I loved my old man. Not worth it.

My own wedding reception is less than 2 weeks away and I'll be doing a speech there as well. Currently heavily medicated on steroids and stomach acid reducers to push my bowel disease into remission. I'm sure this isn't a recipe for disaster.

Most British post I've ever read

Weaker men have sacked life off to avoid less

poo

Does a room of phimosed maths nerds count as public.

imitationleather

Does shitting yourself and crying count as good.

shoulders

Quote from: imitationleather on August 10, 2022, 08:25:13 AMDoes shitting yourself and crying count as good.

Yes, if you're speaking clearly, at audible volume and without stutters or pauses as you're doing so.

dontpaintyourteeth

No, but I'm not popular or talented enough for it to be a problem

Buelligan

'Course I am but I choose to deny the world my talent because of my deeply capricous nature.

Sebastian Cobb

Jockice

I'm not good at speaking full stop.

I used to be though. I didn't even get particularly nervous either. But those days are long behind me.

non capisco

I was praised at work for the brisk efficiency of my Teams meetings, I didn't tell them "Thanks, yeah, it's because I hate the sound of my own voice and want to get the fucking things over with as quickly as possible", just soaked up the praise like the worm that I am.

Fr.Bigley

Try to imagine everyone naked..my old headmaster had this problem speaking publicly till he started doing this...strange school assembly's after that...now he has bigger problems. 

Joe Qunt

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've been a best man (twice, because I'm more best than the rest). Both times, my speech had people complimenting me on my impeccable comic timing, but all those little pauses were really just me trying to steady my nerves.

Someone said I should try my hand at stand up comedy, but fuck that all the way to hell. The experience was terrifying enough with a friendly audience, let alone a bunch of pissed up strangers heckling me.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AMTurns out I say 'er' quite a lot. Really quite a lot. I'm considering electrotherapy.

You're a terminal case, man.

kittens

doing the best man speech at Chris Burger's wedding next year. i am excellent at public speaking so i am unconcerned. they will laugh, they will cry. i will manipulate and own them all.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 10, 2022, 10:03:24 AMBoth times, my speech had people complimenting me on my impeccable comic timing.

They were placating you. The claps were ironic. The snide comments at the night do was real though.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: kittens on August 10, 2022, 10:23:09 AMdoing the best man speech at Chris Burger's wedding next year. i am excellent at public speaking so i am unconcerned. they will laugh, they will cry. i will manipulate and own them all.

I heard he's talked you down from the evil kneivel themed bycicle entrance, something about 'stealing focus'

madhair60

Quote from: pancreas on August 10, 2022, 04:06:32 AMEr turns out er I er say 'er' quite er a lot. Er really er quite er a lot. I'm er considering er electrotherapy er.

jamiefairlie

For once this is actually true, get on the Amphetamines. You'll be talking it up 100 words a second.

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2022, 07:32:00 AMI once gave myself gastritis from the stress of giving a brief speech at my dad's wedding.

Blimey, talk about living over the brush!

No, I am not good at public speaking. I'm not good at public anything.

The Mollusk

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 10, 2022, 06:43:21 PMFor once this is actually true, get on the Amphetamines. You'll be talking it up 100 words a second.

What do you mean "for once"

Butchers Blind

The initial standing up and getting started is terrifying but once I get in the flow I'm fine, even happy to improvise on my prepared notes.

flotemysost

Had a lifetime of getting roped into reading things out for assemblies/presentations/funerals etc. and placating angry customers (given how some of my family's funerals have turned out, there's often crossover between the latter two) - probably because I sound posh enough to be entirely unthreatening but (hopefully) not posh enough to sound sneery or condescending.

Like most people I fucking detest the sound of my own voice but I've got no issue at all with actually doing this stuff, just as long as any recorded evidence of it is deleted or ideally air-freighted to the Bermuda Triangle.

The only kind of "err" I have a problem with is when comedians do that thing of punctuating a joke with a very deliberate smirking "err" immediately afterwards, as if they're trying to make it sound off-the-cuff and natural and it comes off as anything but. Most errs are a natural and healthy thing, a necessary catalyst for thoughtful and inventive speech.

To paraphrase the Shamen, errs are good, errs are good.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth