Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Raymond Briggs Gone

Started by Blumf, August 10, 2022, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

He's with the snowmen now.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: jobotic on August 10, 2022, 11:21:37 AMYeah, brilliant. M'lud.

Interesting that there's a bit of continuity between Gentleman Jim and When the Wind Blows in that he basically uses the same characters.

Midas

jobotic

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 10, 2022, 11:56:21 AMInteresting that there's a bit of continuity between Gentleman Jim and When the Wind Blows in that he basically uses the same characters.

Yeah, and I think the fact I'd read Gentleman Jim first made When The Wind Blows even more devastating.

Blumf

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on August 10, 2022, 11:59:55 AM"Briggs stated that he used to be a staunch supporter of the Labour Party, although he lost faith in the party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn."

Sorry, but CaB rules decree this man is now nothing more than a DEAD CUNT.

I noticed that, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what he meant. Reading the source article (The Guardian, natch), it's similarly vague, no specifics as to what details put him off. It was early in Corbyn's tenure though, so doesn't look good. Can't bloody ask him now, though, can we?

shoulders

He was very old and old men were the contingency where Corbyn performed the worst. Whenever I hear/heard Corbyn slagged off the last 7 years, 9 out of 10 times, probably more, it was fucking old cunts.

Small Man Big Horse

Aww, this is shitty news, I was a big fan like (nearly) everyone else and When The Wind Blows had a powerful effect on me when I first read it (and each and every time afterwards, for that matter).

Oddly I was on the BBC website about ten minutes ago and saw this interview with him saying "Bowie had got The Snowman intro wrong" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-39148088 - but didn't spot the 2017 date, or anything else on there suggesting he was dead (that's now changed), so seeing this thread was quite the shock. It's worth watching anyhow, he was a bit of a grumpy old man but I can't help but admire him for that!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Blumf on August 10, 2022, 01:03:21 PMI noticed that, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what he meant. Reading the source article (The Guardian, natch), it's similarly vague, no specifics as to what details put him off. It was early in Corbyn's tenure though, so doesn't look good. Can't bloody ask him now, though, can we?

He comes out with this

"I had a house and a mortgage and all that, and didn't feel part of the 60s movement thing at all. I remember saying to friends, 'I'm sick to death of hearing about these fucking Beatles. I'm not the least bit interested'."

Which gets him a free pass from me.

Johnny Yesno

Icehaven

Very talented and all that but my god, you wouldn't have wanted to be in his head would you? There's not many things I've read or seen that I genuinely wish I hadn't because I just don't want to evoke such needless misery in my head, but Ethel and Ernest is one of them, and as for the Snowman, well if you're enjoying Christmas it's a massive downer and if you're not it's only going to make you feel worse, so that can sod off too. I haven't seen the Snow Dog one, does he get snow rabies so they shove him in the microwave? ?

Glebe

Sad news, RIP.

Is this Aquafresh advert his work or knock-off?:

Icehaven

Quote from: Glebe on August 10, 2022, 04:49:07 PMSad news, RIP.

Is this Aquafresh advert his work or knock-off?:

Nah, if it was him there'd be three skulls at the end with the caption "Aquafresh will keep your teeth looking bright long after you and everybody you love is dead."

Glebe

Quote from: Icehaven on August 10, 2022, 05:01:11 PMNah, if it was him there'd be three skulls at the end with the caption "Aquafresh will keep your teeth looking bright long after you and everybody you love is dead."

Or the family would all crawl under the stairs with radiation burns or summit maybe.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blumf on August 10, 2022, 01:03:21 PMI noticed that, but I'm not 100% sure if that's what he meant. Reading the source article (The Guardian, natch), it's similarly vague, no specifics as to what details put him off. It was early in Corbyn's tenure though, so doesn't look good. Can't bloody ask him now, though, can we?
they put in mention of Corbyn by name, so he almost certainly didn't say it himself, or they would've quoted him. nice little SEO link too.

to be perfectly honest I despaired at the mess labour was in early on. not by this late in 2016 though I was pretty on board with the corbster by this point but I didnt join until late.

silly old cunt whatever

The Mollusk

Quote from: Thomas on August 10, 2022, 10:37:47 AMI can't remember exactly what happens at the end of The Man

Cunt fucks off I think.

Fuck, searching for the plot (to no avail) I found myself having a little emotional swell just looking at the book cover. DAMN YOU BRIIIIIGGS

Pink Gregory

Was he ever actually involved in any of the animations?  I would assume that he might have signed off on them after being shown rushes etc at the very least.

When the Wind Blows is awesome.   I associate the book with the song Ghosts by Japan, as I think I read it at the time that was in the charts and the tune has a sinister quality like the story itself.

I'd read Gentleman Jim before, so his using the same character from that added to the power of WTWB.

jonbob

I think Father Christmas Goes On Holiday goes some way to make up for the some of mental tramau from When the Wind Blows.

TheMonk

Quote from: Icehaven on August 10, 2022, 04:48:54 PMI haven't seen the Snow Dog one, does he get snow rabies so they shove him in the microwave? ?
Completely unnecessary. The same story except he's got a snow dog and the music is worse.
EDIT: Rest In Peace, Mr Briggs.

Thomas

I haven't rewatched Snowdog since broadcast, but I remember that it softens the sheerness of the original message - which is that fleeting, beautiful things in life fuck off and abandon you forever. Not that they recur but with a dog this time.

idunnosomename

Briggs had nothing to do with the production of the sequel except okaying it. It was offensively bad dogshit

One of Man Utd's best players, shame about the recent controversies but RIP

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 10, 2022, 09:51:39 AMSpot on, the Ethel & Ernest film had me in tears.

It was repeated last night and - even though you know what's going to come at the end - yeah, its a proper emotional watch that one.

Keebleman

I absolutely loved that enormous picture of Santa arriving at Nero's Palace just as the sun is setting over the desert.  "Hmm.  Not a bad little hotel." 

H-O-W-L