Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ADHD meds

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, August 10, 2022, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

getting on the amphetamines (masssiiiive) soon.

anyone here with adhd had any experience? positive? negative?

it's been a total ball-ache getting a prescription due to my having epilepsy. many hours have been lost to back and forth emails to this person that person blah blah

C_Larence

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 10, 2022, 09:28:36 AMgetting on the amphetamines (masssiiiive) soon.

anyone here with adhd had any experience? positive? negative?

it's been a total ball-ache getting a prescription due to my having epilepsy. many hours have been lost to back and forth emails to this person that person blah blah

Which ones are you getting on? I was diagnosed a while back but haven't been able to be prescribed anything because I'm technically underweight and the drugs can inhibit your appetite which would potentially be dangerous, I booked an appointment with a dietician but then forgot about it and went on holiday and haven't rebooked (on account of the ADHD).

I've taken Adderall a bunch of times when visiting the US and always found it to be incredibly helpful, like suddenly finding the remote for a TV that's been stuck flipping channels. It's infuriating that it's completely banned over here, and if there are more surreptitious ways to get hold of it I've never found them.

ZoyzaSorris

Elvanse here - essentially gradual release dexamphetamine (so supposedly better than adderall which is l- and d- amphetamine whereas it's the dex you want). It's a very effective clean boost. I'm not convinced taking amphetamines every day is a great idea though so I save it until I really need it most of the time (most days in other words :) )

Armed Traffic Warden

I found they 'calmed' me by making me knackered and short tempered. In my case, better the devil I know.

Harry Badger

50 mg Elvanse and 300 mg Buprupion here plus Clonidine at night to tug the ropes down. Was diagnosed last year at the age of 41.

Definite improvement in my concentration and energy levels but there is a limit to what drugs can do. What I really need now is either in-person counselling or at the very least some decent self-help material. There is so much out there it's hard to know what to trust.

I have a boring job which has peaks and troughs. It helps during the former but the latter I find it very hard to do what little I should be doing as I end up going down the rabbit hole of Youtube etc. Motivation and starting things is still a big issue if my hyperfocus isnt engaged.

EDIT - I did notice my temper getting rather short when I started, but that's abated now. My tolerance for bullshit seems to have shrunk though, so that will probably cause problems down the line.

The Mollusk

Good luck Gobbers and anyone else going thru it.

I finally got my shit together and submitted my assessment forms on Psychiatry UK after my GP referred me a couple months ago. God knows how long I'll need to wait for a diagnosis but in classic form I am still semi convinced that I am just stupid and beyond help and they'll come back and say that to me and I'll be in a pit of despair forever. Fucken brains eh who needs em

Dex Sawash

First few weeks on the old amps gives me a bit of megalomania and irritability. The flashes of anger are so foreign to me that I dismiss them as side effects before giving them voice. Fully embrace the megalomania though.

Memorex MP3

54mg concerta; it's pretty good but I limit it's usage only to days where it seems needed. Kinda hoping I find out someone I know is on elvanse so I can swap some and test that out.

Think not having a totally bullshit daily meeting at 0930 and another at 1630 every day would be far more helpful overall, mind.

Beyond proper usage, 72mg has been a pretty good social amount.

QDRPHNC

I'm on 54mg of concerta, also taken when needed. Generally found it to be a positive thing. I try not to take it more than maybe 4 days without a break, as the side effects of coming off it can make you feel pretty low, but of course if you decide to take it every day then you don't have to deal with that.

Tip: If you're feeling too "up" or jittery, or have physical feelings of anxiety or nausea, the answer is always: Drink more water.

Glebe

GoblinAhFuckScary

ta for the replies fellas, really helpful to get a broader perspective

my prescriber is super anxious about the epilepsy, so is starting me on a teeeeny dosage of 5mg concerta, to be raised in titration until i can get a big girl's dose

it helps that my progesterone in the evening sort of knocks me out, so I'm not too worried about getting totally wired

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 10, 2022, 11:37:53 AMGood luck Gobbers and anyone else going thru it.

I finally got my shit together and submitted my assessment forms on Psychiatry UK after my GP referred me a couple months ago. God knows how long I'll need to wait for a diagnosis but in classic form I am still semi convinced that I am just stupid and beyond help and they'll come back and say that to me and I'll be in a pit of despair forever. Fucken brains eh who needs em

totally relate to this. i had a real rough time throughout all of school and uni and thought i was just a total dolt, when i know my problem was just being fucking unable to apply meself

GoblinAhFuckScary

question for those who drink:

i like drinking, something which has been flagged up as BAD for adhd medication.

anyone done a bit of the whole drinking? the old booze? the good stuff? how did it interract

bgmnts

Are there pills you can take where you don't have adhd but you can't really concentrate for more than a few seconds at a time? I have a new job and i have to scroll through thousands of invoices to make sure they match up and flag them and shit. I need pills that can make me do that successfully for 8 hours without needing to take a half an hour break every five minutes.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 12, 2022, 01:20:08 PMquestion for those who drink:

i like drinking, something which has been flagged up as BAD for adhd medication.

anyone done a bit of the whole drinking? the old booze? the good stuff? how did it interract

wOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DRNK AT ALL WERE IT NOT FOR THE PHET

Dex Sawash

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 12, 2022, 03:07:53 PMwOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DRNK AT ALL WERE IT NOT FOR THE PHET

...explain

QDRPHNC

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 12, 2022, 01:20:08 PManyone done a bit of the whole drinking? the old booze? the good stuff? how did it interract

Concerta at least seems to roughly double the effect of whatever alcohol you drink - both in terms of how drunk you get and how shit you feel the next morning. I'm usually a whiskey drinker, but if I do find myself out with a friend on a day I've taken the meds, I'll order a beer and drink it slowly.

As an aside, I've found that CBD is good for calming the system down a little before bed. Especially at the beginning, you might find it difficult to get to sleep.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 12, 2022, 04:10:02 PMConcerta at least seems to roughly double the effect of whatever alcohol you drink - both in terms of how drunk you get and how shit you feel the next morning. I'm usually a whiskey drinker, but if I do find myself out with a friend on a day I've taken the meds, I'll order a beer and drink it slowly.

As an aside, I've found that CBD is good for calming the system down a little before bed. Especially at the beginning, you might find it difficult to get to sleep.

sound advice. been meaning to get some cbd for ages, be good for the old chronic back pain too.

doubled my progesterone at night lately and i had a crazy deep sleep. the most lucid dreaming I've ever had about being reborn in an alternate universe where i start life afresh. put me back!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 12, 2022, 04:07:23 PM...explain

ALCOHOL=SLEEP

AMPHETAMINES+ ALCOHOL= LESSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 12, 2022, 04:18:20 PMALCOHOL=SLEEP

AMPHETAMINES+ ALCOHOL= LESSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER

sounds irresponsible and a good time

Dex Sawash

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 12, 2022, 04:23:54 PMsounds irresponsible and a good time

aka- annoying twat

mdmaguy.gif

GoblinAhFuckScary

GoblinAhFuckScary

ok just started on my small first dosage of 5mg 'Medikinet XL' for two weeks (doubling afterwards and so on).

will report on my findings if i remember

kinda hungover so i hope that doesn't make me feel too wretched

GoblinAhFuckScary

despite the small dosage i'm feeling a little wired

also a bit moodswingy. moving between wired and tired. might have brought on a migraine boooo

QDRPHNC

pancreas

Dex Sawash

Did anyone mention possible sleep disturbance?
You'll want some box sets ready in case you are AWAKE at 3am

GoblinAhFuckScary

fuckloads of water has been a good solution ta

I've just had my progesterone so hopefully that'll knock me out but I'm super in the mood to watch some David Cronenberg or something. feeling proper miffed that the new filum isn't showing anywhere near me atm. i mean, it wouldn't be too much help anyway as I'm not about to leap out of bed for a midnight movie like

nero

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 12, 2022, 01:20:08 PMquestion for those who drink:

Don't do it. Fucks your liver (quicker than the booze ordinarily would).

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 13, 2022, 11:50:56 PMDid anyone mention possible sleep disturbance?
You'll want some box sets ready in case you are AWAKE at 3am

Hello!

Bumping this thread as since my previous posts here, I was diagnosed last October and got my first prescription this week. Xaggitin XL 18mg, starting at 1 a day for a week, 2 a day for the next week and 3 a day for the next 2 weeks.

First day on the gear yesterday, I had a bad day at work which did not help but fuck me what a rollercoaster:

8am: buzz kicking in, felt pretty anxious. Only a few days before I'd decided to come off the propranolol as I've quit drinking and my anxiety has decreased. Had to take one before leaving the house for this.

9am - 12pm: focus noticeably improved which was a fantastic feeling. Sticking to one train of thought for longer, breezing through work tasks without feeling the constant urge to look at my phone, being able to listen to music and read stuff and somehow being able to process both of these things AT THE SAME TIME? WHAT?? PEOPLE CAN DO THIS?, suddenly remembering things I need to do in the imminent future and merging those things with my present thoughts. Amazing clarity if a little scary because it's new to me and I feel very wired.

1pm - 4pm: more balance here, much of the above still but not as intense, now prone to some irritability and tension.

5pm - 7pm: CRASH. Still able to carry out tasks effectively but in shorter bursts and starting to feel quite fed up, a lot more restless, attention wandering again. The absolute worst of the low points was on my commute home where I began feeling suddenly depressed to the point of fighting back the tears, and angry to the point of wanting to lash out at people on the tube. I nearly barked in the ear of someone sat next to me for being quite elbowy every time they moved, and I walked past a busker in the station and had a strong urge to smash the bloke's keyboard up the wall.

8pm - 11pm: bizarrely my energy levels balanced out, I was highly energetic in chatting to my wife throughout the evening and even at one point was like "am I talking loudly??" She remarked before we went to bed that I have been unusually enthusiastic for someone who'd been through such a long day.

11:30pm - 2am: asleep, no problem drifting off, fine.

2:15am - 4:30am: wide awake, sat here typing this. I will try to sleep again after posting this.

Fuck knows how I'll cope taking more than one a day of these things but I dunno, maybe it'll integrate into my system a little easier. A lot of the side effects I've had are extremely similar to the steroids I take when my colitis flares up so I'm quite worried about potentially having a combo of those two at some point in the future.

Weird.

How's everyone else doing?