Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,783
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where to start with [artist]

Started by alan nagsworth, April 10, 2008, 02:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: boxofslice on January 16, 2010, 12:05:45 PM
Not really much to get into as they only released two albums.  Opinion is split amongst fans as to which is the best album of the two, Bellybutton or Spilt Milk.  Personally I prefer Bellybutton possibly due to the Falkner connection - he left after that record.  Spilt Milk is more expansive production wise and shows more ambition but it sometimes gets lost in the songwriting.  There was a 4 CD collection of rarities and stuff, Fan Club if you really get into them.

Oddly, I always preferred 'Spilt Milk', largely due to 'The Ghost at Number One'.  Love both albums though.
As for that box set... I desperately want one.  It's about £200 on the collectors' market these days though.  It's impossible to get at anything resembling a sensible price.

(must...stop...staring...at...boxofslice's...avatar)

boxofslice

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 17, 2010, 10:13:01 AM
As for that box set... I desperately want one.  It's about £200 on the collectors' market these days though.  It's impossible to get at anything resembling a sensible price.

There's one going for £110 on Amazon but still, it's very much fan prices to get a copy.  Even the original record label Not Lame don't have any.

There is torrent of it knocking about of course.

rjd2

Dunno if this has been mentoined yet, if so apologies...

Four Tet people?

ThickAndCreamy

Start with Rounds, I think it's a good record really, although I don't find it outstanding, just good. It's generally seen as his best I believe.

Artemis

Where to start with Stevie Wonder? I've been listening to 'Songs In The Key Of Life' for some time now. It's an extraordinarily amazing album.

But where do I go from here?

rjd2

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on January 17, 2010, 01:54:26 PM
Start with Rounds, I think it's a good record really, although I don't find it outstanding, just good. It's generally seen as his best I believe.

Cheers Creamy.

Serge

Quote from: Artemis on January 17, 2010, 07:43:56 PM
Where to start with Stevie Wonder? I've been listening to 'Songs In The Key Of Life' for some time now. It's an extraordinarily amazing album.

The early seventies quartet of 'Music Of My Mind', 'Talking Book', 'Innervisions' and 'Fullfillingness' First Finale' are all pretty much faultless. If I had to start with one, I'd say 'Innervisions', but then, 'Talking Book' does have the mighty 'Superstition'. You can usually pick them all up at a pretty reasonable price these days.

Roy*Mallard

Where to start with Cream? I've heard good and bad things about them, but really like Crossroads and Sunshine Of My Love - what d'ya reckon?

NoSleep

They only made 4 albums whilst still together, so start from the beginning and work your way through.

Fresh Cream (my favourite), (the rest of the world's favourite:)Disraeli Gears (feat Sunshine of Your Love), (my second favourite:)Wheels Of Fire (double LP; one studio, one live; feat Crossroads), Goodbye (bitty last album).
Subsequent to their split up, Live Cream volumes I & II were issued.

thugler

Quote from: Roy*Mallard on January 31, 2010, 01:57:55 PM
Where to start with Cream? I've heard good and bad things about them, but really like Crossroads and Sunshine Of My Love - what d'ya reckon?

Wheels of fire and disraeli gears.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Artemis on January 17, 2010, 07:43:56 PM

spanky

Quote from: Serge on January 17, 2010, 07:47:56 PM
The early seventies quartet of 'Music Of My Mind', 'Talking Book', 'Innervisions' and 'Fullfillingness' First Finale' are all pretty much faultless. If I had to start with one, I'd say 'Innervisions', but then, 'Talking Book' does have the mighty 'Superstition'. You can usually pick them all up at a pretty reasonable price these days.

I'd add Where I'm Coming From to the list too, as it's the starting point for his ridiculously consistent run. Maybe even Hotter Than July just to catch the tail-end.

Phil_A

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on October 31, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
Jandek

Bit late for this one, but I'd say "Lost Cause" is a good place to start, as it sums up the different extremes of his music really well. Half of it is acoustic and folky with recognisable tunes, and the other is the kind of extended improvised noise freakouts which are more typical of his live performances.

I'd advocate a "download before you buy" approach with Jandek. Some of his stuff is amazing, but sometimes he'll just bang away at the same detuned open chord for a whole album, which can be pretty tough going.

Quote from: Roy*Mallard on January 31, 2010, 01:57:55 PM

You could go for broke and buy 'Those Were The Days'.  A lovingly put together 4CD set, it contains all of their studio recordings, the live disc from 'Wheels of Fire', 'Live Cream Vols 1 & 2' (although one of the tracks is a slightly different edit) and a few otherwise unavailable bits and bobs.

Annoyingly, the live version of 'Politician' (from their 'Goodbye' LP) has been omitted.  Otherwise, a near perfect set...and if you keep an eye, you should be able to pick it up for about £16 on a good day.

the midnight watch baboon

wtsw Steely Dan? decided to listen to albums other than the ones I've not added to in the last couple of years, and after hearing Tony Soprano bopping along to 'Dirty Work', going to give SD a try. So far I've gone all Alan Partidge on my own ass and am listening to 'The Very Best of Steely Dan', but what else would you recommend?

All the 'Dan albums have their moments, but personally I'd plump for 'Aja' and 'Countdown To Ecstasy' first.  If you liked all the compilation you were listening to, you won't go far wrong.

Donald Fagen's 'Nightfly' and 'Kamakiriad' solo albums are top notch too.

Crabwalk

Just to muddy the waters, I'll add Pretzel Logic. Their most consistent album in quality in my book and features 'Any Major Dude Will Tell You' which is one of very few 'lovely' songs of theirs.

As Trotsky says, Fagen's Nightfly is completely fantastic too (even if it doesn't feature 'You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two').

Vitalstatistix

How about Smog / Bill Callahan, anyone?

Thanks!

ThickAndCreamy

For his earlier stuff as Smog get Knock Knock. His album from last year (as Bill Callahan) Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle is also very good.

It's wonderful to have a beer and listen to him, soothing, beautiful folk.

the midnight watch baboon

thanks trotsky and Crabwalk I'll be listening to these albums over the weekend hopefully x

Vitalstatistix

Lyndon

I prefer Red Apple Falls VS. It's so good you could put it on your blog.
Spoiler alert
;) etc
[close]

Vitalstatistix

Thanks Lyndon. I don't know bout that though, I'm already losing interest in it! I don't think people visit blogs unless they're full of leaks / uploads / sallacious gossip / boobs. I offer none of the above.

ThickAndCreamy

Is it worth delving into Green Day's earlier back catalogue? I know many now see them as a joke but I've heard reasonably good things about their 1990's stuff. If so, where would I start?

Paaaaul

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a passable compilation of an album and a couple of EPs.

Don't expect it to be much better than average though.

chocky909

Just get Kerplunk. If you like it then maybe get the above early compilation.

Marty McFly

Those are the only two albums before Dookie. If you like Kerplunk, get 1039.. afterwards.

purlieu

Yeah, those two are quite decent, they show off their Husker Du influence a lot more there which makes the sound quite listenable, and some of the songs are very fun.

ThickAndCreamy

Is Dookie the album where they turn to shit then really? For I have no knowledge about Green Day whatsoever bar American Idiot being extremely irritating.

chocky909

I went properly off them around the time of the Warning LP but I didn't listen to Nimrod too much - I think their redone Time Of Your Life put me off a lot. A few years later I heard Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and couldn't quite believe how shit they'd gone. Dookie is a fun album with some great tunes.