Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Life and Times of Tim

Started by Queneau, August 07, 2010, 11:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I haven't posted for a while, but couldn't find one just now.

Has anyone seen this animated HBO series? I've recently been watching it and think some of the jokes are pretty good. It's a mixed bag overall really but well worth watching. I'll try to add more later, but for now am interested in your opinions. Hit me.

Small Man Big Horse

I've been getting in to it over the last month or so and am really enjoying it. It's got a nice, laid back feel to it, and despite how ridiculous the situations are, that Tim never really ultimately suffers saves it from being annoying. It's just a shame that it's been cancelled, though there are rumours that other networks might be interested in it.

Queneau

I didn't know it had been cancelled. I'd agree about the laid back style of the show. There are some very subtle and decent jokes that mix in well amongst all of those ridiculous situations you mentioned. I find myself laughing at the littlest things, even the movements of Tim's eyes at certain points. I think his delivery and flatness is so perfect too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTkVLoGEzI

chocolateboy

Quote from: Queneau on August 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PMI find myself laughing at the littlest things, even the movements of Tim's eyes at certain points.

I wouldn't call the movements of Tim's eyes "little things". I mean, they are in the scheme of things, but I'd say Tim's face, reactions, and those awkwardly darting eyes are the backbone of the show's humour. The plots are basically just ways to get him a-squirming, floundering and reactin'.

I didn't know it had been cancelled either. Shame. Made me laugh and had a nice theme tune as well.

A.A

Not one of those shows I'll be TOO upset at just two seasons. It was hilarious, I thought, but it was formulaic.

How long they could have kept it going and still make it seem fresh...I'm not so sure.

2 seasons was good. 

And I concur about the theme music.

alan nagsworth

It looks like 12oz. Mouse, only worse.

Icehaven

How it looks has always reminded me a teensy bit of Charlie and Lola. I think it's Tim's hair.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 08, 2010, 08:57:15 AM
It looks like 12oz. Mouse, only worse.

Nah, it's nothing like it Nags. 12 oz. Mouse is deliberately surreal and nonsensical, whereas, if anything, Tim's more of an animated Curb Your Enthusiasm, but without the central character being infuriated by what's taking place.

madhair60

I've seen a couple of episodes and I found it amusing, it goes for the kind of cringe comedy thing but manages to include gags, and Tim responding to ridiculous assertions with a slightly pitiful "nooo" is always funny.

chocky909

Formulaic is right. I loved the first season but got bored after the first couple of season twos. There wasn't really any character development and the it did start to get stale and repetitive.

An tSaoi

RTÉ 2 have been showing this in the middle of the night, and I've been quite enjoying it. It's not spectacular, but always worth a chuckle. I tend not to like deliberately bad animation, but the show doesn't require anything more than some figures standing around side-by-side and throwing glances; it's the delivery that makes it. Nobody puts in big cartoony performances; the dialogue feels unnaturally naturalistic for an animated show (is some of it improvised?).

What I like most about it is that the situations are rarely his fault, they're just stacked against him. It's the other characters (and their misguided encouragement) that get him into trouble, rather than any deliberate wrongdoing on his part. It would be hard to have sympathy for him if his troubles were entirely his own making.

Also, HBO have apparently un-cancelled it[nb]http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/hbo-picks-up-animated-comedy-the-life-times-of-tim-for-season-3/[/nb].

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chocky909 on August 08, 2010, 04:09:49 PM
Formulaic is right. I loved the first season but got bored after the first couple of season twos. There wasn't really any character development and the it did start to get stale and repetitive.

I struggled with some of the early S.2 episodes, but stuck with it due to their being so little else worth watching right now and I'm glad it did. Certainly the final three episodes are a real return to form, and they've got some great cameos from the likes of Alfred Molina, Elliot Gould and Bob Odenkirk in them.

At one point I wasn't that bothered by the supposed cancellation, but I'm really looking forward to a third season now.