Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Saturday Night Pop Quiz LIVE!

Started by DrGreggles, October 31, 2020, 04:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Blimey, it was Covid after all then.

Still - plenty of time to compile pop quizzes and plot revenge against your Covid-spreading workmate.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Would there be any interest in a SNPQ this weekend?

Janie Jones

Yes please, if there's enough interest to make it worth your while.

shiftwork2

Yes, that would be post-corona poptastic.

Jockice

Could be on for this one. It's been a while. Return Of The Jock.

Yeah, I'm up for the race for second place.

shiftwork2

That's quite arrogant.  Either myself or JJ could be in contention.  Oh who the fuck am I kidding.

It's not the winning, it's the taking part!

Jockice

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 05, 2021, 05:58:26 PM
Yeah, I'm up for the race for second place.

But that's my favoured position. You've won every week I've taken part.

Quote from: Jockice on March 05, 2021, 09:50:38 PM
But that's my favoured position. You've won every week I've taken part.

That was a while ago, though. A new sheriff has arrived in town since those days.

DrGreggles

Ooh 'eck. Better crack on with making this!

Jockice

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 05, 2021, 10:00:53 PM
That was a while ago, though. A new sheriff has arrived in town since those days.

Ooh, right. We should team up and teach him/her a lesson.

Janie Jones

A record turn out I think and thanks to my ringer and the attendance of music quizzers who clearly hadn't heard and/or remembered any chart music ever ;-)  I achieved lower mid table mediocrity! Thank you very much Dr Greggles .

Chicory

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 06, 2021, 11:55:03 PM
A record turn out I think and thanks to my ringer and the attendance of music quizzers who clearly hadn't heard and/or remembered any chart music ever ;-)  I achieved lower mid table mediocrity! Thank you very much Dr Greggles .

+1 karm

Jockice

shiftwork2

what a load of old shit

great as always!

Jockice

By the way Janie, what was the answer to your question? I missed that.

DrGreggles

Chicory

I've analysed the lyrics to all three songs, with a tab open for each so I could cross reference because I've got nothing better to do with my Sunday. Nothing! This is one humdinger of a Teatime Themetime, Janie.

What is the link?  It's lyrical.

'Beetlebum' by Blur
'Kinky Afro' by Happy Mondays
'Tubthumping' by Chumbawamba

Janie Jones

Yep, they all snuck a 'piss' past the radio censor:

Piss on it
Bad, piss ugly things I'm feeling
Pissing the night away

Chicory

Pissed off something rotten I didn't see that.

DrGreggles

Especially when I gave the answer 2 posts above yours!

Jockice

OK then, What do Squeeze and Pulp have in common in the lyrics for two of their biggest hits? Lest we forget that both bands had two singles that got to number two, so it's one of them. For each band. Might be a bit too obvious but I've caught people out with it before.

DrGreggles

And, for added trickiness, both of Pulp's #2 hits were double A-sides!

Chicory

Jockice

Due to the complete lack of interest in the answer I'm going to tell you anyway. It's that both bands had to do radio edits (of Cool For Cats and Mis-Shapes) to remove the word 'bleeding.' The former had it replaced with 'funny how the missus always looks the blooming same' and the latter with 'cos you're so very thick.'

Just watched the Top Of The Pops performances of both songs. Squeeze did the changed version, Pulp the original. But it was a good few years later. Just shows how times change.

And even later of course, Leona Lewis's Cunting Love topped the charts worldwide.

Janie Jones

I WAS STILL PONDERING actually, but TBH I'd never have got it because I've never heard the censored version of either, or if I have I haven't clocked it and just autofilled with 'bleeding'.

I like these. Any more?