Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:20:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dated Casual Racism In Popular Music

Started by TheMonk, April 24, 2021, 04:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

What popular music might not pass muster in these days of cancellation?
I'm on a Bowie bender and re: China Girl, he puts on a cod Japanese accent in the Live At Glastonbury performance which would raise alarm bells these days I reckon.
Also in the video he does this.

Over to you.

Glebe

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: TheMonk on April 24, 2021, 04:49:46 AM
What popular music might not pass muster in these days of cancellation?
I'm on a Bowie bender and re: China Girl, he puts on a cod Japanese accent in the Live At Glastonbury performance which would raise alarm bells these days I reckon.
Also in the video he does this.

Over to you.

On the Glastonbury recording doesn't he also do it as:

My little China girl says
"Mr David, just you shut your mouth"

Could have imagined this though.

markburgle

Sting's affected rasata-mon accent, and the coloured girls going do do doo (not really racism though, just goalposts have moved since then)

SpiderChrist

Does use of the N word in Oliver's Army and Holiday In Cambodia count?

Also: Dreadlock Holiday is a bit fucking rum, innit?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Walk Like An Egyptian started to date quite badly once the news stories about street vendors self-immolating emerged in the Arab Spring, yet weirdly remained intact throughout the Mubarak regime. Funny cultural parallel.

Then just when you're thinking they're going to stop they have a pop at the Japanese and Chinese

QuoteAll the Japanese with their yen
The party boys call the Kremlin
And the Chinese know (oh whey oh)

You Japanese with your yen n that

BlodwynPig

Stolen yen. Japanese have criminals gangs too

idunnosomename

I got a doctor! To take a picture! So I can look at you from inside as well!

pigamus

Well that's more medical malpractice isn't it

The 1998 world cup official song, Carnival de Paris, uses a different instrument for each competing nation.

Japan?

and a gong

ah so

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on April 24, 2021, 05:57:07 AM
On the Glastonbury recording doesn't he also do it as:

My little China girl says
"Mr David, just you shut your mouth"

Could have imagined this though.

The BBC footage cuts to a happy smiling Japanese, or possibly Korean, looking woman when he does that line.

https://youtu.be/lBNBTmlvNio?list=PLkXR7g3EdPC_YlKw7Zm0IzRsu02hvlXxA&t=182

NOT A RACIST.

Bonus racism.

Oh, and 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd5ztTz1564

bgmnts

Quote from: Lou ReedAnd the colored girls say
"Doo do doo do doo do do doo..."

Kankurette

Ray Davies' weird accent in Apeman. Actually, whatever the hell the singer's accent is in Look Out There's a Monster Coming as well.

jobotic

As I've mentioned before, although you're right about Look Out There's A Monster Coming, it will always be one of my favourite ever songs for

QuoteI bought a de-luxe Merseybeat wig.
But It was a size too big

Chicory

I always thought Jamie T was a bit off.

pupshaw

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 24, 2021, 07:29:33 AM

Also: Dreadlock Holiday is a bit fucking rum, innit?

Ha! Try Oh Effendi, or even worse, Hotel

kngen

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 24, 2021, 07:29:33 AM

I might be on my own here, but the pay off to that line in Holiday in Cambodia - '... and the slums got so much soul' wouldn't have remotely the same impact without the offending line preceding it. Perfectly skewers the dogmatic bullshit of non-intersectional leftist posturing, in my opinion, which was the point of the song. [nb]Far worse is the line 'Don't forget to pack your wife' because it's just crap - must try harder, Jello[/nb]

Elvis Costello using it to draw parallels between British colonialism and the Troubles - blunt and unwieldy, but it's hard to argue that it wasn't coming from a place of good intentions (rather than, you know, drunkenly ranting about Ray Charles in a bar to try and get in a fight with Stephen Stills).

In the same milieu:

The Avengers - White N..... - the sentiments I understand - 'don't be a wage slave'; the delivery method - eh, not so much.

Patti Smith - Rock'n'roll N.... - gave us the lyric 'Outside of society, is where I want to be', which I love BUT ...

QuoteSmith discussed the song with a reporter from Rolling Stone.

Reporter: The other day you said that if anyone was qualified to be a n*****, it was Mick Jagger. How is Mick Jagger qualified to be a n*****?
Smith: On our liner notes I redefined the word n***** as being an artist-mutant that was going beyond gender.
Reporter: I didn't understand how Mick Jagger has suffered like anyone who grew up in Harlem.
Smith: Suffering don't make you a n*****. I mean, I grew up poor too. Stylistically, I believe he qualifies. I think Mick Jagger has suffered plenty. He also has a great heart, and I believe, ya know, even in his most cynical moments, a great love for his children. He's got a lot of soul. I mean, like, I don't understand the question. Ya think black people are better than white people or sumpthin'? I was raised with black people. It's like, I can walk down the street and say to a kid, "Hey n*****." I don't have any kind of super-respect or fear of that kind of stuff. When I say statements like that, they're not supposed to be analyzed, 'cause they're more like off-the-cuff humorous statements. I do have a sense of humor, ya know, which is sumpthin' that most people completely wash over when they deal with me. I never read anything where anybody talked about my sense of humor. It's like, a lot of the stuff I say is true, but it's supposed to be funny.

Patti Smith is a fucking idiot.

jobotic

I do agree with you about Holiday In Cambodia, but it'd still seem a bit weird hearing him singing it now.

What the fuck is Patti Smith on about? That's painful.

Look I redefined the word n***** to mean it applies to rich white men who grew up in Dartford okay? Jeez.

Dusty Substance

No Vaseline by Ice Cube includes the lines "'Cause you let a Jew break up my crew" and "'Cause you can't be the Nigga 4 Life crew, With a white jew telling you what to do".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 24, 2021, 02:52:33 PM
No Vaseline by Ice Cube includes the lines "'Cause you let a Jew break up my crew" and "'Cause you can't be the Nigga 4 Life crew, With a white jew telling you what to do".

That's Jerry Heller innit.

Sebastian Cobb

That Smith stuff never made any sense. Although the stuff she said about Jagger thinking/wanting to be black is very similar to things PP Arnold has said about him, although not in some mental justification of using the N-word obvs.

Video Game Fan 2000

Variations of Queen's "No Synths Were Used In The Making Of This Record" boast appearing during times when rocks radio dominance was threatened by trends like funk, disco, hiphop, etc. Taking pride in no drum machines.

Anything to do with "proper" rock and roll in the 1990s. Cast's single meant to sound "like the Kia-Ora advert" while being Noel Rock.

Quote from: kngen on April 24, 2021, 02:26:46 PMPerfectly skewers the dogmatic bullshit of non-intersectional leftist posturing, in my opinion, which was the point of the song.

From California in the late 70s and aimed at campuses, it was probably intended as the opposite of that.

I guess "Riot" is probably worse these days. A punk rewrite of Zappa's "Trouble Every Day"

For all the hagiographizing, it's often forgotten that those NYC scene people from the 60s-70s were the absolute dumbest people in the world.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 24, 2021, 03:20:45 PM
Variations of Queen's "No Synths Were Used In The Making Of This Record" boast appearing during times when rocks radio dominance was threatened by trends like funk, disco, hiphop, etc. Taking pride in no drum machines.

Did Queen do that as well? I was aware Collins put "No Fairlight was used in the making of this record" probably as a jibe to Peter Gabriel.

Disco Demolition Night was so depressing in a very stupid way.

sutin

I was listening to DEVO's Hardcore Vol. 2 earlier, you can add the song Bamboo Bimbo to the list!

Video Game Fan 2000

Queen started it. Very iffy band in a lot of ways whose rep is cleaned up for Gen Z because Freddie turned out to be a gent and isn't around to complain that he can't use his favourite unacceptable words anymore.

sutin

Here's another good one, Black Messiah by The Kinks. Probably well-intentioned but fucking hell Ray.

Video Game Fan 2000

New York Dolls covering "Stranded In The Jungle" and deliberately making it worse than the original