Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Comic Strip Presents

Started by Leej88, June 01, 2021, 02:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leej88

Been watching a few of these on Youtube what is everyone's best and worst episodes.

Best: Four Men in a Car.

Worst: Slags

famethrowa

Fistful of Travellers Cheques is not only one of the best episodes, it's one of the best things ever. Love it.

Where's the disco
Everybody happy.... la la la la lala
Everybody loves the Eagles!
Billy Belthorpe, the man with no name
Whisky... and STEAKS
Got any mandies?? ahahaha
EUROROVER

Oh and Bad News Tour too. Ageless and perfect

Fambo Number Mive

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is one of my favorite films. Must re-watch it at some point

Leej88

Pink Gregory

I hold a candle for Didn't You Kill My Brother

"I'm gonna cry when I mention me maaaaaaaaaam!"

Obligatory Bad News, Mr Jolly, Five go etc etc.

Summer School and Beat Generation I remember fondly as well, even if the latter is a bit stretched out.

Quite enjoyed the Hunt for Tony Blair but no idea if it stands up.

Should really re watch Strike!

Rizla

Strike! and GLC are laughwise the best. GLC is quite hard to find online though.

Bad News and More Bad News are obviously great, but could have been much better if the drumming wasn't quite so comically bad- I absolutely love Peter Richardson, but while Colin's musical ineptitude makes sense (it's his PA system I think, or his brother's van?) and Vim and Den are just the right kind of shit (the argument in the studio over the amps is incredibly childish and realistic), Spider's a bit much.

The 4 men ones are wicked, but lack of alumni other than the 4 men preclude them classic status for me, Clive.

Kankurette

Strike and the Famous Five ones. Have never been able to listen to Gold in the same way again since the car one.

Norton Canes

Re-watched a few of the lesser renowned episodes a couple of years ago and found I liked the weirder, detached ones such as Susie and Les Dogs.

Pink Gregory

I have the complete boxset but I never got around to rinsing all of it, just about got around to Strike/GLC

DrGreggles

Best: Dirty Movie or Mr Jolly Lives Next Door
Worst: About half of them

Chriddof

Another vote for Mr Jolly, and Dirty Movie. Also (going to put this in quotes so it doesn't read confusingly) "Eddie Monsoon - A Life?" was good fun, although it may have dated a bit since I last saw it... and after all these years it's still not clear if the original version of it was even filmed. Like Pink Gregory, I've got the boxset but I've still not watched them all.

Leej88

The Strike is ok I guess obvs a parody of America and the film industry making films for general audiences and all the historical inaccuracies not bad just not really funny.

Rizla

More important question is -who was the better Al?

Jockice

Strike! is great. The others I'm either not mad about or have never seen.

Leej88

SpiderChrist

Not sure about worst. Slags? I've only really watched the ones I enjoyed at the time:

Five Go Mad In Dorset/On Mescaline
Bad News Tour
More Bad News
Mr Jolly Lives Next Door
Didn't You Kill My Brother?
Strike!
Dirty Movie
Eddie Monsoon
Gregory: Diary Of A Nutcase

mrClaypole

I really love War. It's quite insane.
I can't stand the Hunt for Tony Blair

Mister Six

Is Slags the futuristic one with French and Saunders and Anthony Head? Or did I dream that?

The the Fly spoof with two Keith Allens is awful, too, and not just because it features two Keith Allens.

Still got the DVD boxed set in the UK. Really liked Les Dogs and the other left-field stuff. Such a wonderful and varied series. Haven't seen Sex, Actually or anything that might have followed - I gather it was pretty dismal?

Leej88

Sex Actually is bad Sheridan looks great in it though.

zomgmouse

Watched the full box set at one point over a decade ago and it's imprinted itself into my subconscious. Can't remember half the details or names or anything but just the general style and vibe and format has become indelibly ingrained. Little bits pop into my head every now and again. At first I was incredibly confused by what I was watching but then quickly got on board and watched it all. I still want to make an anthology series like it, just completely disconnected episodes save for a common cast. Someone give me money to do this thanks.

Flouncer

I can't believe multiple people are saying Slags is the worst! I like that one so I'm a bit biased, but I can think of several off the top of my head that are provably, objectively worse than Slags. Any of the ones that feature Keith Allen in any major capacity for a start.

A couple of the later films are fucking execrable - The Pope Must Die and Churchill: The Hollywood Years are both absolutely painful watches. Absolute AIDS-tier shite.

Leej88

The Crying Game song is catchy though

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Slags definitely *is* one of the worst, French and Saunders at their horribly unfunniest. Nice early role for Emma Thompson, mind. The Dawn French- scripted " Summer School" is dreadful, too, albeit not quite " The Yob" - tier. The already mentioned Peters Richardson and Richens scripted surreal ones also get my vote, including " Les Dogs" ( which reminds me a bit of "IN9's The 12 Days of Christine" ), and that one with Julie T. Wallace in which Police Seargent Alexei Sayle promises his constables the reward of a video of " The Little Mermaid" for capturing their quarry, and looks fourth wallbreakingly directly into the camera for no good reason. Good, daffy stuff.
Another one that definitely belongs right up there with " The Yob"  is that fucking dreadful one what Peter Capaldi starred in, I think he might have written it as well, about some feller suspecting his wife of infidelity, barely qualified as comedy of any kind.

Flouncer

I think a lot of them, they've come up with a funny concept and it meanders along, some things happen, and they can't come up with a way to satisfactorily resolve it so it just ends. So it kind of feels like they've come up with something on the back of a fag packet and started filming it. That doesn't necessarily make them bad episodes, though. Some of them are pretty entertaining, for what they are.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Flouncer on June 02, 2021, 09:29:30 AM
I think a lot of them, they've come up with a funny concept and it meanders along, some things happen, and they can't come up with a way to satisfactorily resolve it so it just ends. So it kind of feels like they've come up with something on the back of a fag packet and started filming it. That doesn't necessarily make them bad episodes, though. Some of them are pretty entertaining, for what they are.

^ See " Les Dogs", I think Peter Richardson admitted they didn't know how to end the fucking thing.

dissolute ocelot

Aside from crowdpleasers like Bad News and Five Go Mad In Dorset, a lot of them seem very specifically pitched, so it becomes very personal as to whether they're on your comic wavelength or not. I loved Didn't You Kill My Brother and Mr Jolly but didn't get on with Fistful of Travellers Checks at all.

Also at the time I watched Strike I don't think I'd seen any Al Pacino or Meryl Streep films. And my Keith Allen tolerance was a lot higher back in the day, so while I quite enjoyed The Yob then, fuck knows what I'd make of it now.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Hopefully, you'd have the good taste to realise It's a load of unpleasant, unfunny shite  written by a particularly witless individual.

BeardFaceMan

The Hunt For Tony Blair might be one of the unfunniest things I've ever seen. Is Redtop any good? That one passed me by completely.

Leej88

Detectives on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown has some funny moments especially the bit where the police officer keeps laying into the detectives for not parking the correct way.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 01, 2021, 03:11:33 PM
Mr Jolly Lives Next Door is one of my favorite films. Must re-watch it at some point

I always recall Ade Edmondson crashing a car at speed into a vehicle which had just parked quite safely, then jumping out and shouting 'what do you mean by driving like that!?'