Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

is garth marenghi's darkplace completely laugh-free?

Started by madhair60, June 06, 2021, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

PlanktonSideburns

Only found the little intros at the start funny, but appreciated the loving pastiche back when that was enough

Glebe

McChesney Duntz

The "King Lear" quote at the top of ep. 1, cited by page number, made me laugh heartily just for starters. So right there, the answer is no.

Greg Torso

No, it's funny.

I enjoy taking the piss out of Shaun Hutson/Richard Layman/James Herbert so that probably helps.

Plus the attention to bad editing/effects is amazing.

McChesney Duntz

Among other things [nb](and there's a lot of them - this may be the only show I've ever seen where every single aspect of it - the lines, the delivery, the camerawork, the ADR, etc. etc. etc. - is a joke of one sort or another)[/nb], it contains one of the best lines of the 21st century thus far:
Spoiler alert
"She was like a candle in the wind. Unreliable."
[close]

neveragain

I wouldn't say laugh-free. Some people go crazy for it[nb]Personally I can only take a couple of episodes at a time, and find the parody aspects a bit hit and miss[/nb] and good on them but I would just cite it as a decent comedy with plenty of laughs. The follow-up Man To Man With Dean Learner, now that really was bad.

idunnosomename

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 06, 2021, 04:17:21 PM
The "King Lear" quote at the top of ep. 1, cited by page number, made me laugh heartily just for starters. So right there, the answer is no.
that was an early peak imo. One of those good references that seems specific but actually is pretty universal for anyone whos been to school in the UK. Downhill after that, but not terrible. Parody that misses the mark by being too broad imo

Famous Mortimer

It's great, remarkably high hit-rate. Considering what a waste of time Man To Man With Dean Learner was, lightning in a bottle, etc.

Leej88

I love it especially the way it is played seriously with bad effects and cheap sets.

Lemming

Rich Uncle Skeleton

It's fucking great! Only crap one was scotch mist

Rizla

Haven't watched it for a few years but I loved it when I first caught it on telly - I thought I'd dreamed Shaun Hutson on the James Whale radio show plugging his film Slugs but it must have really happened. Bought the DVD. Lots of laughs, the padre and his "if you need me, i'll be out in the jeep", one track lover, all good stuff.

thr0b

Even the in-character DVD commentary is great.

"What the FUCK? She looks like a thalidomider"

Bazooka

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on June 06, 2021, 05:19:05 PM
It's fucking great! Only crap one was scotch mist

Nah Rick's haunting tale of Scotland is brilliant.

The show is very good, mad to think it was back in 2004.  It's not as funny as it was then to me, but that's because I rinsed it all those years ago.  Dark Place Illuminatum is as good as the whole series, and probably some of the best DVD extras I've ever seen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZlA6Qeseo

Catalogue Trousers

lazyhour

Quote from: thr0b on June 06, 2021, 06:26:22 PM
"What the FUCK? She looks like a thalidomider"

:-/ doesn't sound that funny tbh

ASFTSN

It's brilliant and I enjoy how stupid it is. Helps if you're a horror fan, if you're not may as well not bother with it.

madhair60

Quote from: lazyhour on June 06, 2021, 07:39:30 PM
:-/ doesn't sound that funny tbh

yeah, seems like it's funny to that sort of person

studpuppet

Quote from: madhair60 on June 06, 2021, 08:18:33 PM
yeah, seems like it's funny to that sort of person

I was one of the people that signed the petition that got its DVD release to happen, so I'm taking this as a personal slight.

madhair60

Joe Oakes

It's still great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgK2CEdvd_E

(sorry, I still haven't bothered to learn how to tag YouTube clips, but we all have room for growth)

purlieu

It's funny[nb]the next clause is funny, not the show. I haven't seen the show in years and can't remember if it's funny or not. This footnote is now longer than the actual post.[/nb], when I joined here I remember how utterly detested this programme was.

sevendaughters

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 06, 2021, 08:02:30 PM
It's brilliant and I enjoy how stupid it is. Helps if you're a horror fan, if you're not may as well not bother with it.

i don't like horror much but i love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like it a lot. There are missteps and perhaps it doesn't fully last the course for a 6 episode series but there are loads of laughs throughout accompanied a lovely feeling of everyone having fun being stupid.

The forum was divided at the time, I remember lots of people loudly detesting it but a similar number saying they liked it but without trying to trample everyone into the soil.

It also seems like it sneaked into a small window in time when making that sort of show on mainstream tv was possible. Anyway, that is my egg in soup on the matter.

Addendum: The forum should be warned: The opener poster doesn't think Airplane is funny. And he fucks dogs - purely so that the dogs cum - he makes special care to ensure he doesn't.

Blumf

bomb_dog

Saw the Darkplace show live and thought it was great. The tv series wasn't a patch on it, but it's fun in one episode bursts.

Edit: probably wasn't called 'Darkplace' at the time but Garth Marengi was the lead character. Can't remember now.

Alberon

I only got to watch Darkplace for the first time a few months back. It can't sustain itself for the whole six episodes but there is some good stuff in there and it is very well done.