Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

is garth marenghi's darkplace completely laugh-free?

Started by madhair60, June 06, 2021, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 07, 2021, 01:01:07 PM
I joined the forum at the time when this was on the telly and I recall among the criticisms there was a lot of flack aimed at it not being a valid parody because it was mocking a specific type of thing which didn't exist to begin with.

really surprised to hear people thought that. i've always been particularly fond of its homage to von trier's the kingdom particularly with the rooftop scenes at the end of each episode

DANSK JAVLAR

sevendaughters

I didn't like it at first actually but I didn't come on here and make an arse of myself by telling ev...SHIT!

letsgobrian

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 07, 2021, 03:52:08 PM
really surprised to hear people thought that. i've always been particularly fond of its homage to von trier's the kingdom particularly with the rooftop scenes at the end of each episode

DANSK JAVLAR

That Stephen King's remake of The Kingdom started the same week that Darkplace ended was the icing on the cake.

chveik

i couldn't watch the whole thing but yes it is very likely

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 07, 2021, 12:02:10 PM
Contains one of my all-time favourite comedy lines:

"
Spoiler alert
When my wife died, I was so upset I could barely finish my lunch.
[close]
"

Hahah yes! God I need to watch this again.

friend of mine still texts "eye child?!" to me out of the blue now and then.

MoreauVasz

I don't find it that funny but I respect the amount of thought that went into it.

Was the pushback on here not SOTCAA-based? They did seem to have a bit of a bee in their bonnets about a lot of the people in the show.

Regarding the idea that it was a parody of something that didn't exist, I choose to read it as taking place in a universe where the absolute belters of the 1980s UK paperback horror scene achieved a level of mainstream respectability and success. What if Brian Lumley or Frank Herbert had wound up occupying a similar space to Dennis Potter?

madhair60

Lost Oliver

Leej88

druss

Quote from: druss on June 07, 2021, 01:32:10 PM
Haven't seen it for years, liked it at the time. This thread has made me want to give it another go, I will report back as to whether I laugh.
I didn't laugh but I forgot I suffer from crippling depression.

I did laugh at a documentary I watched later though where some bloke was shot in the head and then chased the guy who shot him in the head away and a cop being interviewed said "If I had just shot someone in the head and they started chasing me, I would also run away".

Jumblegraws

Watching the DVD with the in-character (which is to say, Garth, Dean and Todd) commentary track is comfort viewing for me. The recurring argument about the acting pedigree of Julian Barratt's character (referred to throughout as "Fred Barren") is one of my all-time favourite running gags and it's not even in the show proper.

ASFTSN

Thanks for making this Darkplace appreciation thread madhair it's reminded me of the very many laughs I have enjoyed while watching this excellent comedy programme and has inspired me to undertake many more happy rewatchings. This is why I joined CaB

Ferris

Yeah my old pal madhair played a blinder! Got everyone talking about this wonderful old show.

Here's a photo from the live screening I went to a few years back in one of the nice old cinemas they have these days.

Lovely stuff.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 08, 2021, 02:45:58 PM
Yeah my old pal madhair played a blinder! Got everyone talking about this wonderful old show.

Here's a photo from the live screening I went to a few years back in one of the nice old cinemas they have these days.

Lovely stuff.

Ferris

Matt Berry did a surprise Q&A at the beginning. It were good.

I smoked some drugs during the interview and explained to Mark Proksch that I didn't know who he was.

Ok cheers.

thenoise

jobotic

I didn't watch it at the time but did a few years ago and I loved it. And as said above, A Gun for George is fantastic.

Just read that Holness was born in Whitstable and met Peter Cushing there. I worked in a corner shop there when I was fifteen - was a bit of a trek but my stepdad's mate owned it so the pay was decent. Cushing came in one day to pay his delivery bills and he was lovely.

And that's my anecdote.

TommyTurnips

If you don't feel any mirth when watching "Skipper the Eye Child" then I question whether you have a soul.

PlanktonSideburns

What do people think of Italian spiderman in comparison to this? That made me laugh loads

kidsick5000

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 08, 2021, 08:43:28 PM
What do people think of Italian spiderman in comparison to this? That made me laugh loads

Italian Spider-Man is very well observed but does struggle after a while.
Danger 5 is closer to Dark Place, but lost it a bit when they went 80s.

Darkplace is like the Velvet Underground. Small audience at the time but the influence has kept spreading.

The Mollusk

I fucking absolutely loved Danger 5. The second season was still very decent I thought, but the first was damn near perfect. It's criminally overlooked.

kidsick5000

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 08, 2021, 10:49:31 PM
I fucking absolutely loved Danger 5. The second season was still very decent I thought, but the first was damn near perfect. It's criminally overlooked.

They could have gone longer with the original ATV /WW2 version.
The 80s was a cul de sac. It's hard to parody something post 80s era. You could try the 90s, but I don't think the differences are that distinct. Touch Of Cloth parodied police dramas in 2012, but the styles it parodied had been in place since the 90s.

The tone of humour also changed which was one of the great things about the first series. It lost that daft  innocence and wanted to have its cocaine on strippers.

I'm guessing there's contracts involved, but Dinosaur should put the eps up on YouTube themselves - much like Taskmaster has done. May as well get something of a payday that way.

jobotic

Just watched the first two Man to Mans. I love 'em, particularly the Steve Pising one (which I have seen before). I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

dirkgonnadirk

I remember enjoying this as a kid, but years later the only lines I can remember are 'Bon AppeTIT', and the bit about antiperspirant giving you cancer.

The Mollusk

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 09, 2021, 12:07:57 AM
The 80s was a cul de sac. It's hard to parody something post 80s era. You could try the 90s, but I don't think the differences are that distinct. Touch Of Cloth parodied police dramas in 2012, but the styles it parodied had been in place since the 90s.

The tone of humour also changed which was one of the great things about the first series. It lost that daft  innocence and wanted to have its cocaine on strippers.

I'm guessing there's contracts involved, but Dinosaur should put the eps up on YouTube themselves - much like Taskmaster has done. May as well get something of a payday that way.

Just having a little ponder on the toilet and I think they could've done a good job of parodying Power Rangers if they did a '90s one.

ASFTSN

All I can remember from Man To Man was some terrible CGI dogfight with...wasps? Or something. I should rewatch them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 09, 2021, 12:07:57 AM

Danger 5 did come back in podcast form last year - https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Danger-5-Stereo-Adventures-Audiobook/B087C5WF5G - I listened and enjoyed one episode, but then forgot about the rest of it until now.

Hillbert

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 09, 2021, 06:47:10 AM
Just having a little ponder on the toilet and I think they could've done a good job of parodying Power Rangers if they did a '90s one.

It's not really a parody, but Psycho Goreman has a very strong Power Rangers feel. If they'd also been allowed to show heads exploding.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The live show was very funny, it was a laugh within the context of a silly student Edinburgh hour, but the joke exhausted itself on TV.