Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Awesome Oasis/Britpop thing

Started by bgmnts, June 10, 2021, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Wait, is David Gedge homophobic or something now?  Can someone who follows 90s Melody Maker journalists' latterday work explain this

ProvanFan

'Felt' could also be taken to mean 'molested'

PaulTMA

What do Taylor Parkes and Stubbsy think

Had the misfortune of hearing James Brown on Radio 4 earlier spouting a load of bollocks about how GRATE Britain in 1996 was because we had Oasis and Britpop and Three Lions etc. It was like the inverse of the Kulkarni piece if it was written by a complete moron.

Imagine if, like Brown, you were largely responsible for some of the wankiest aspects of lad culture and weren't the least bit embarrassed about it, how lacking in self-awareness would you have to be to not constantly want to punch yourself in the face?

druss

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 13, 2021, 07:36:33 PM
Had the misfortune of hearing James Brown on Radio 4 earlier spouting a load of bollocks about how GRATE Britain in 1996 was because we had Oasis and Britpop and Three Lions etc.
Never knew he was a Britpop fan, or that he had risen from the grave.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 11, 2021, 04:28:47 PM
I don't really buy that Oasis were more of a culturally conservative proposition than other bands who were desperately trying to make crossover guitar pop a thing before them. "Noel Rock" definitely was, but that's a different issue.

Stereolab ended up recording some subtly anti-marxist libertarian songs
Luke Haines might have been a lefty early on but he transformed into a full reactionary over a decade.
There is very dodgy stuff on the Denim record ("fake make up boys", "we hate the IRA", "i hate funk and I hate soul")
Gedge might be a nice man with good opinions but his thing was bringing the sexual/gender ambiguity of stuff like the Smiths or lofi back into traditional boy meets girl story songs.
Despite the aesthetic, MSP were/are bothsideism: the band.
Radiohead dedicated a record to Bill Hicks.
New Order were called New Order.
Loads of throwback bands like the La's were uncomfortably nationalistic in their ideas of what good music should be about.
Blur were rich boys sneering at paups. One them sells McDonalds in the Sun now.
Suede immediately dove into 70s revivalism and all its unpleasantness.

I could go on.

The same guy who posted the Oasis rant has a similar one about the Stone Roses. How many other hit albums have a song about May 1968 on them? Oasis' "is it worth the aggreviation/to find yourself a job when nothing is work working for?" still stands apart as a cutting statement of disaffection even if neither of them really meant (or just lucked into such a good line)

But but but The La's were contemporaries of The Smiths and were recording dub tracks before Morrissey was hanging the DJ???

In his autobiography, Johnny Marr slyly disparages Oasis and literally bums Mavers. In the bum. Using bumming.

idunnosomename

Quote from: druss on June 14, 2021, 08:22:22 AM
Never knew he was a Britpop fan, or that he had risen from the grave.
James Brown is dead.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 11, 2021, 01:17:03 PM
Is that a man with legs made of sausages? That's not real.
those commentaries are no exaggeration the best thing hes ever done

Gulftastic

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 13, 2021, 07:36:33 PM
Had the misfortune of hearing James Brown on Radio 4 earlier spouting a load of bollocks about how GRATE Britain in 1996 was because we had Oasis and Britpop and Three Lions etc. It was like the inverse of the Kulkarni piece if it was written by a complete moron.

Imagine if, like Brown, you were largely responsible for some of the wankiest aspects of lad culture and weren't the least bit embarrassed about it, how lacking in self-awareness would you have to be to not constantly want to punch yourself in the face?

I know someone who was at school with Brown during the 80's (Lawnswood High in Leeds) and told me that Brown could have give two shits about football back then. He jumped on the 'lad' bandwagon and rode it to fame and riches.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 18, 2021, 10:57:24 AM
James Brown is dead.

I think you're looking for the Hardcore Rave thread

Captain Z

I think they meant James Dean.

Kankurette

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 18, 2021, 12:07:49 PM
I know someone who was at school with Brown during the 80's (Lawnswood High in Leeds) and told me that Brown could have give two shits about football back then. He jumped on the 'lad' bandwagon and rode it to fame and riches.
Same with plenty of other 'lad' types. Admittedly, I am one of the dreaded middle-class football fans BUT I grew up watching it on telly with my dad (he was really into Gazzetta Football Italia back in the early '90s) and my love of it is genuine. I mean, if I wanted to be one of the cool kids I'd have picked Liverpool, not Everton or Sheffield Wednesday.