Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical gear wanking thread

Started by popcorn, September 27, 2020, 03:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

What's going on with the bridge there? Looks like there's a stage missing on that model. That looks like an Epiphone tailpiece compared to the usual bridge you see on that model:

Spiteface

It's a standard wraparound bar tailpiece. Much like how it was done on vintage Gibson Juniors, and on the current production-model Gibson Les Paul Juniors. Gordon Smith offers a few different options if you order direct from them, including a "Lightning" bar, which is essentially a compensated version offering slightly better intonation, a gotoh wraparound with adjustable saddles as well as the classic "Tune-O-Matic"

I have no issue with the regular wraparound, as I tend to play a lot of rhythm and nothing much up the dusty end where you'd notice if the intonation was off. It works fine. I am considering swapping that out if it proves problematic later on, but it's far from urgent for me at this point.

Ferris

I've had a les Paul jr with the same one piece wrap around style bridge piece. I think there was some guff about brighter tones but I suspect it's because it was much cheaper for them to produce.

Spiteface

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 02, 2021, 05:42:47 PM
I've had a les Paul jr with the same one piece wrap around style bridge piece. I think there was some guff about brighter tones but I suspect it's because it was much cheaper for them to produce.

That is almost certainly more likely than any tonal reasons, from a manufacturing perspective.

Juniors were, back in the 50s, "student" or budget versions. I can imagine the one-piece wraparound was easier to fit, keeping cost down. It just happened that people like Juniors as guitars in their own right.

Ferris

I tell a lie, mine was a melody maker but same difference innit.

Johnny Textface

Hey gear wizards! I'm in the market to buy some sort of vlogging-leaning camera. Basically I want to record little jams I do from time to time. Ideally it would have a couple of audio inputs with some mixing capability (including mixing in the ambient sound of the room). Drop box integration. Wearable. Anyone got any solutions?