Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Alexei Sayle Podcast

Started by Endicott, December 01, 2020, 09:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought Elton showed some self-awareness in his Saturday Live compering days but that disappeared as soon as soon as he got his own BBC show.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 15, 2021, 12:58:05 PMI thought Elton showed some self-awareness in his Saturday Live compering days but that disappeared as soon as soon as he got his own BBC show.

No it didn't.

dissolute ocelot

I kind of feel the more self-aware Elton got the less funny he was. Much better ranting at 900 words a minute and writing nonsense than when he was going on about farties or decided he was going to be part of the classic British tradition of mainstream sitcoms.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The latest episode is a nice rambly chat with Diane Morgan. Alexei is a fan. Quite right too, she's a naturally funny person.

Plus there's a CaB-friendly comment during Alexei's intro (obviously recorded while Morgan wasn't present), where he lists some of her TV credits: "After Life, a show I have never seen and will never watch."

Which might sound a bit arsey when you're introducing a guest, but it's mitigated by the fact that he obviously really likes some of the other stuff she's done. And Morgan was just a jobbing actor on After Life; it's a pointed dig at Gervais, not at her. Anyway, it made me laugh.

olliebean

A bit disappointed with her asking him a Herring question ("Have you ever seen a ghost?"), and then rehashing some stuff about being a gas that must be material as I've heard it before - but otherwise a decent listen.

Pink Gregory

Diane Morgan is the source of one of my favourite podcast moments - being interviewed by Adam Buxton and, during a lull in the conversation blurting out "WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE SMELL?"

Johnny Yesno

A new episode went up on 6th May:

Mighty Boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crMSW5S2O3U

I definitely prefer the episodes with more Talal, of which this is one. The stuff about 24 Hours in A&E is really interesting.

Pink Gregory

I like Talal a lot as a co host, he contributes more than just being a facilitator for Alexei's stories and it only does good.

Endicott

I enjoyed the last two.

Ugly Bridgerton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIUJxV0hhGs
In which Phil Bevin details why he's left Labour in preference to local community action. He said as much in an article last year
https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2021/04/09/letting-go-of-labour-a-personal-note-on-why-ive-moved-on/

R is for Rojava - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGgnasiQl1Y
In which the bottom up structure of gov in Rojava region in Northern Syria is discussed, very interesting. An Anarchist movement born out of feminism. I remember Graeber mentioning Rojava sometime before he died.

Fabian Thomsett

beanheadmcginty

Latest episode is essential listening for all the Corb-loving Cabbers

idunnosomename

Not unsurprisingly The Crobbins bits on Imaginary Sandwich Bar got some reaction on Radio 4 feedback today. quite a lot of positive ones really, he also did a short interview.

considering the usual centrist pish with the likes of Alex "my dad" Massie on The News Quiz panels I can see why he did it. enjoyed the sheer gall. a great egg

Pink Gregory

so Talal says there's been some progress with the Young Ones watch along with Alexei, Nigel Planer and Lise Mayer; he couldn't upload it because it kept being copyright struck - potentially because of the anniversary blu-ray coming out - but supposedly they went and got involved with that and they've obtained some kind of permission?

poodlefaker

current series of Imaginary Sandwich Bar almost makes up for all other R4 comedies on its own. some serious heavy lifting from the 70 y/o funnyman.

Mobbd

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 11, 2022, 01:17:53 PMcurrent series of Imaginary Sandwich Bar almost makes up for all other R4 comedies on its own. some serious heavy lifting from the 70 y/o funnyman.

I've just listened to the first episode so far and it is indeed great.

I also watched Al Jazeera's The Labour Files discussed on the podcast. I see there's some discussion about it in the CaB Labour thread but I'd like to recommend it strongly to any Alexei fans who haven't seen it yet. Essential viewing really.

Pink Gregory

Alexei, Lise Mayer and Nigel Planer watch the Young Ones up on the Patreon

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 11, 2023, 07:55:06 PMAlexei, Lise Mayer and Nigel Planer watch the Young Ones up on the Patreon

Been looking forward to this!

BeardFaceMan

Does this appear on the recent Young Ones bluray set or is this a new commentary?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 12, 2023, 12:07:07 AMDoes this appear on the recent Young Ones bluray set or is this a new commentary?

I believe (and I may be wrong) that they couldn't upload their commentary to youtube because of the release of the blu-ray, they had to reach an agreement to even upload it to Patreon, so I don't believe it is on the blu ray.

EOLAN

Not much comedy, but good recent podcast on the emerging Middle east conflict.
Notably, Sayle is full of praise for Owen Jones's work on this issue.

Pink Gregory

Not been keeping up with the podcast, annoyingly they plug the Patreon (more of a 'give us a quid if you liked' model) but they don't post updates to it and I don't really listen on Youtube.

Time to catch up!

Mobbd

Quote from: EOLAN on October 19, 2023, 01:05:09 PMNot much comedy, but good recent podcast on the emerging Middle east conflict.

It was excellent. I'd encourage everyone here to listen to it. Activist AJ's stories are amazing and his tactics and attitude are commendable. Absolutely fascinating insight into the world of direct action. It's really good that Alexei and Talal got him on: true podcasting as alternative media.

I noticed his line about Owen Jones as well. Pleasantly surprised to hear Owen is doing the right thing given the pressures that must be upon him (and kudos to Alexei for saying giving him the credit for it given their history).

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: EOLAN on October 19, 2023, 01:05:09 PMNot much comedy, but good recent podcast on the emerging Middle east conflict.

I wouldn't say full of praise. It was a short offhand remark.

This was a terrific interview and I was very impressed indeed with the Palestine Action activist.

mr. logic

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 20, 2023, 07:42:31 PMI wouldn't say full of praise. It was a short offhand remark.

This was a terrific interview and I was very impressed indeed with the Palestine Action activist.

Bit in between, I would say. Neither full or praise nor offhanded
. Just a gracious nod to somebody he has a checkered history with.

Mobbd

Wha-? Where the heck is Capaldi Part 2?

lauraxsynthesis

I'm happy to get the Jacqueline Rose interview. I read that piece in LRB they mention and it was great.

Mobbd

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 09, 2024, 11:33:49 AMI'm happy to get the Jacqueline Rose interview. I read that piece in LRB they mention and it was great.

I haven't read the piece yet but the pod was very strong. Alexei was clearly fascinated by what she was saying and so was I. Excellent, timely stuff.

This is where this pod excels really; it's been one of the most useful places to process and think about the Gaza crisis with extremely good left-wing intelligent takes.

I didn't know about Alexei's alt-alt Christmas message until I listened to the Jacqueline Rose episode last night but that was very good too.

One small thing I didn't care for: Talal said Fry shouldn't have done his C4 alt Christmas message because, while railing against antisemitism is important, it was unhelpful in the context of the war. I strongly disagree: there were certainly some objectionable moments in Fry's message (especially regarding his surprise diagnosis of Judaism by saliva analysis - this doesn't actually make you Jewish) but the message of solidarity with Jews (by which he means diaspora Jews in the UK) and to separate antisemitism from antizionism was timely and correct.

And what's that bullshit about Alexei wanting to make comedy and not to directly discuss politics? This podcast has been little but! In a good way! But what's he on about?

As to Part 2 of the Capaldi interview, I didn't feel that it was interrupted by prioritising the Rose interview, more that it's late. Why not drop it the week after Christmas, or just on Boxing Day? Mid-January will be a great time to release the second part of "A Very Capaldi Christmas." Hell, leave it off til the summer! I'm not jonesing for it or anything but it's a bit odd to build expectation and then not deliver. Just get on with it.

Steve Faeces

Found the Jacqueline Rose one fascinating.

I agree with Talal, the content of Stephen Fry's speech was inappropriate. His claim that Antisemitism is the "one acceptable face of racism" will be news to GRT and Muslim people.   

By contrast Alexei's was considered, generous, and thoughtful, as to be expected.

lauraxsynthesis

My problems with the Fry video:
1. He parroted the Baddiel thesis, which is bollocks based on nothing. Antisemitism isn't given a pass in Britain in any context, whereas in just the last few years the state has actively legislated against, scapegoated, disproportionately imprisoned and created disproportionate social murder conditions for GRT people, black people and especially young black people, non-white migrants and Muslims.

2. In the current context he should have expressed unconditional compassion for and solidarity with the Palestinians. To not do so only sends a message of assent to their genocide.

3. When Israel oppresses Palestinians, that makes Jews in Israel and the disapora less safe. It's a political choice to leave out that crucial context.

Fry may not be as intelligent as he's given credit for, but I honestly think he's got some cognitive decay to have gone along with the machinations of CCFP/StandWithUs in putting out this message.

Thank fuck for Alexei's message - over 5 million views!

Mobbd

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 09, 2024, 05:05:15 PMMy problems with the Fry video:
1. He parroted the Baddiel thesis, which is bollocks based on nothing. Antisemitism isn't given a pass in Britain in any context, whereas in just the last few years the state has actively legislated against, scapegoated, disproportionately imprisoned and created disproportionate social murder conditions for GRT people, black people and especially young black people, non-white migrants and Muslims.

2. In the current context he should have expressed unconditional compassion for and solidarity with the Palestinians. To not do so only sends a message of assent to their genocide.

3. When Israel oppresses Palestinians, that makes Jews in Israel and the disapora less safe. It's a political choice to leave out that crucial context.

Fry may not be as intelligent as he's given credit for, but I honestly think he's got some cognitive decay to have gone along with the machinations of CCFP/StandWithUs in putting out this message.

Thank fuck for Alexei's message - over 5 million views!

I agree completely. But there is an increase in antisemitism here precisely because of your point 3. It's really frightening. It felt good to have a PSA asking people to knock it off.

I wish he had addressed your points 2 and 3 and I wish he hadn't spoken "as a Jew" on this issue; he could have just spoken as a friendly face of TV Humanism. Of course a Jew would ask people to refrain from antisemitic hate crimes; an authoritative well-informed plea from a non-Jew would have been more appealing one would think.

It would be lovely for Fry to explore his Jewishness but the spit analysis is bullshit and I wish he hadn't taken that midichlorian angle because it doesn't mean shit. And now he's going to go around, speaking as a Jew, about shit he doesn't understand because he didn't grow up with it and hasn't converted or studied it.