Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

The Mollusk

Speaking of "Life in the Fast Lane" if you've never heard these outtakes from Brooks they are brilliant

idunnosomename

ha that's great. I mean so much of that episode comes out of Albert Brooks playing it up in the studio with Julie Kavner. the bit where they keep him in breaking the accent with "FOUR ONION RINGS!!" is amazing. and there is some good animation work in the early seasons but so much it's the voice acting that sells the jokes, it's just so good

weirdly I never noticed before now but Jacques with his bowling ball is in the 2nd version opening where Bart skateboards across the street (although it's often cut out for time)

Sonny_Jim

I probably haven't watched it in the best part of a decade, but my memory of that episode is that it's fantastic.  The scene where Bart throws the ball at Homer and he just collapses to the ground without saying a word.  Even as a little kid I understood how desolate Homer felt.  Just top stuff really.

JamesTC

Season 24 - Episode 11 - The Changing of the Guardian

The family are playing a board game while a storm passes. Lisa explains "TWISTER" and Bart asserts that he doesn't want to play that because whenever he does, his elbow always touches Homer's junk. Lisa is actually referring to a tornado outside which Santa's Little Helper is caught up in. Homer goes out to rescue Santa's Little Helper but ends up getting locked out, so he rushes to the doggie house but gets stuck in the entrance.

The storm passes but it has taken Santa's Little Helper with it. Homer asserts that he is going to go after him. Lenny and Carl turn up because they are storm chasing. Homer and Marge join Lenny and Carl in their storm chasing van. Lenny tells Marge she is attractive. Lenny and Carl are not gay yet.

Marge fantasises the tornado as God's vacuum cleaner. They are all pulled up into the tornado. Carl is pulled away and Lenny is sad and says he can barely remember what he looks like. Homer tells Lenny that Carl is a black guy that sounds like a white guy. Carl is stuck in a tree behind them and says he is just trying to fit in.

Santa's Little Helper turns up and coughs up a frog which coughs up a spider. The frog then eats the spider and Santa's Little Helper eats the frog. A bank falls on Homer and Marge and traps them inside. Chief Wiggum tries shooting the glass. They bring a crane in from Shelbyville, but it is just a bird. A glass cutter gets them out.

Homer and Marge worry about the fact that if they died, they hadn't appointed a guardian, which is the plot of the episode. Homer suggests Grandpa, but then realises Grandpa screwed him up. Homer then considers his brother Herb, so he phones him and receives the message "Hi, you reached Herb Powell, I'm poor again" and he hangs up.

Homer and Marge visit Patty and Selma. Selma's Chinese baby is now a little girl and is really talented, but Patty and Selma keep forcing her to learn new things. They meet with Milhouse's parents but they start arguing. They go to Cletus and Brandine's house, but they reveal that anything new that wanders into the house ends up in the stew pot and it cuts to a mail man's hand in a pot. They visit the gay condo guys, but they say they have just adopted a baby. A big fat guy with a beard walks in wearing a nappy.

Word spreads around Springfield that Homer and Marge are looking for guardians, and they are being avoided. Various gags about everybody avoiding them. Gil lives in the sewer. The family leave Springfield to try and find a guardian. They bump into somebody nice, but the woman has a Mid-Atlantic accent and Marge says that that is where they film The Wire so demands Homer speed away.

The family decide to take a break and go to the beach. Bart sees a really cool surfer called Mav and his environmental lawyer wife Portia turns up. The family have lunch with them at their very expensive house. Homer says he thought the Jackson 5 were the only perfect family until now. Homer asks Portia if she would partake in swinging, but Portia asserts that her husband would be getting the better deal before Homer reveals he means pushing children on a swing.

Portia and Mav agree to be their guardians. They sign all the contracts. Portia asks if they can watch the kids for the weekend. Homer injects donuts into himself like it is heroin. Homer and Marge have fun until they see a picture of Portia and Mav with the kids referring to themselves as a family. Marge is now afraid they have stolen their kids.

Mav tells Homer and Marge that he just thought that they didn't actually want their kids. The kids say that they would rather be with Marge and whoever she is with. Back home, Homer strangles Bart. Credits roll.

3/10

All too often, The Simpsons episodes just run out of time, so the episode just ends in an incredibly abrupt way. If they cut the opening down, they could have had a far more satisfying conclusion than the kids just picking Homer and Marge. But this is a common theme of modern Simpsons.

idunnosomename

They actually got Danny DeVito back in to do the Herb Powell answerphone line. also this was nearly 10 years ago

Pink Gregory

It really seems as if most episodes you mention feature Cletus and Brandine, the most diminishing returns background actors in the show.

JamesTC

The Cletus family and the Wiggum family are the go-to characters right now, certainly. And Gil.

idunnosomename

there's been a shift towards the newer characters that Hank Azaria voices, as Harry Shearer becomes less enthusiastic about it and also a lot older (as noted in the Spinal Tap thread he's 78 now). I think he's been literally phoning in his performances for at least a decade now.

(before you check, Gil is done by Dan)

Pink Gregory

Found this wee curio in a chazza shop today

Only goes up to 1996, correctly.  Interestingly, it has the 'Lisa It's Your Birthday' song from Stark Raving Dad but the liner notes don't list one M.Jackson as performing, I haven't put it in yet so I'm interested to see what'a actually there.

JamesTC

Jackson only did the speaking role in the episode, if I remember correctly.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JamesTC on July 03, 2022, 02:52:03 PMJackson only did the speaking role in the episode, if I remember correctly.

Yeah in this it's credited to Bart, Lisa and Kipp Lennon.

From Wikipedia
QuoteLennon also sang the songs "Flaming Moe's" (a spoof of the theme song from the TV series Cheers) in the episode of the same name, "The Sound of Grandpa" from "Lady Bouvier's Lover", and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" from "Duffless". He sang the original song "I'm Checking In" featured in the Betty Ford musical in "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson".

Wezzo

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 03, 2022, 02:37:28 PMFound this wee curio in a chazza shop today

Only goes up to 1996, correctly.  Interestingly, it has the 'Lisa It's Your Birthday' song from Stark Raving Dad but the liner notes don't list one M.Jackson as performing, I haven't put it in yet so I'm interested to see what'a actually there.

There's a sequel, Go Simpsonic with the Simpsons, that contains a bunch of missing stuff from the early seasons, as well as songs from seasons 8/9, and a few songs that were cut from the show (eg We Love to Smoke by Patty & Selma). Years later there was a third volume, Testify, but it's mostly post-S9 crap.

Pink Gregory

I've actually got a copy of the Simpsons Sing the Blues somewhere, now that's an artifact; there was an episode of What a Cartoon! about it and the personnel on that record is mad.  Height of Bartmania I suppose.

Sonny_Jim

I go woah, Homer goes Doh! 'Now you can't go to the boat show'

The lyrical wordplay is just boundless.

idunnosomename

Michael Jackson also worked on Do The Bartman with Bryan Loren but because of his iron-clad multi-million record contract he was uncredited. It's the same reason the staff were so nervous abou admitting directly if he worked on Stark Raving Dad and why he couldnt have any singing on the episode.

All this does make the "that's just something they make up to scare kids" joke in 1995's Bart Sells His Soul all the more ooof. Although does make you think quite why Michael was so on board with Bartmania  at the time.

JamesTC

Michael Jackson isn't all that anyway. The prototype music from Sonic 3 is better than his.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 04, 2022, 09:24:26 AMI go woah, Homer goes Doh! 'Now you can't go to the boat show'

I go WHOA
Homer goes "D'oh!"
"Now you can't go!
Do the mow, Joe"

Which admittedly isn't better. A Matt Groening/Jazzy Jeff joint I believe.

madhair60

Pink Gregory

I wanna go to the Regatta Gala Hoe-merr

I regatta strangle you boyyyyy

The Siiiiimp Soooooons

Wadded Beef

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 04, 2022, 09:24:26 AMI go woah, Homer goes Doh! 'Now you can't go to the boat show'

idunnosomename

We're all stars now

In the boat show

dissolute ocelot

I've seen a few recent Simpsons on Sky recently.

There's A Serious Flanders which is in two parts and is a parody of Netflix prestige dramas but also of various Coen Brothers movies and the Sam Raimi film A Simple Plan, only it's non-canonical which means Disco Stu is brutally murdered, as well as several other regular characters meeting bloody fates. It's all lovingly put together without ever being very funny (although there were some fairly amusing sight gags).

There was another one, Portrait of a Lackey on Fire, where Smithers gets in a relationship with a fashion designer who turns out to be evil and again destroys all of Springfield with pollution and by making everyone work in his dangerous garment factories. Homer is mauled by dogs a lot.

Continuity? What's that?

It's weird because these are ambitious, almost epic, pieces of animation and storytelling. But they had almost nothing to do with America's most beloved family. It's almost going back to the days of 22 Short Films About Springfield - same attention to detail, same love of pastiche, same reliance on trendy references and superficial style. No steamed hams though. Nothing quite that good.

idunnosomename

I had a dream about a new Simpsons episode the other night. Albert Brooks returned as Hank Scorpio, now a reformed philanthropist looking to do good deeds. he comes to Springfield to help a couple of gay men, new characters played by Shearer and Azaria pretty much in their natural voices, to have a baby with the implantation of an artificial womb. however, they are not physically suitable (I guess neither of their hips are wide enough?) so surprise, Homer Simpson ends up being their surrogate for their baby which is the plot of the episode.

It was like Junior I suppose. I woke up for a piss before the end of the second act.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2022, 11:45:57 PMI woke up for a piss before the end of the second act.
That'll be the weight of the baby pushing on your bladder.

neveragain

The Great Phatsby episodes are fucking unwatchable. I just can't get through them, they don't even feel like The Simpsons.

neveragain

For all who care, the most recent episode 'Lisa The Boy Scout' was amazing. Primarily because it was honest about how shit the show has been. Also, it was wildly structured, genuinely funny and just terrific.

Video about it here: https://youtu.be/816OrbCyjWQ
From 2:32... but just find the episode. It's worth it.

Quote from: neveragain on October 12, 2022, 09:50:43 PMFor all who care, the most recent episode 'Lisa The Boy Scout' was amazing. Primarily because it was honest about how shit the show has been. Also, it was wildly structured, genuinely funny and just terrific.

Thanks for the recommendation. Not seen a "new" Simpsons episode for many years. I'll check this one out.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: neveragain on October 12, 2022, 09:50:43 PMFor all who care, the most recent episode 'Lisa The Boy Scout' was amazing. Primarily because it was honest about how shit the show has been. Also, it was wildly structured, genuinely funny and just terrific.

So I watched it and... yeah, it wasn't bad? I can't imagine they'd be making a habit of this kind of thing as it seemed almost entirely aimed at people still pissed off at them messing with Skinner's past and the seasons where Barney wasn't a drunk. But as that's me, I enjoyed it.

PlanktonSideburns

Is it going to work for someone like me who's barely seen the shit ones and forgotten them?