Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Excerpt from Ade Edmondson Autobiography

Started by Dangerous Brother, September 16, 2023, 09:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Moj on October 18, 2023, 09:41:24 AMThat's odd. He's credited as Adrian on Bottom, all the way through. Could he not be credited as Ade? I know there's sometimes arcane rules which mean people need to credited under altheir actual full names, but it's not as if there was a Richard Mayall in the credits...

He mentioned that as well. His Equity card has him as Adrian. He had a last-minute revelation about Eddie apparently but the form had already been sent. Presumably you have to use your Equity name in credits, and his name became too well-known to change

lauraxsynthesis

Finished the audiobook. Terrific read. There've been lots of bits that have stuck in my mind and I've brought into various convos over the last couple of weeks. He's remarkably open about friends' deaths and his mental health and abuse at his horrible private school. He prefers to keep his marriage private and fair enough. It's evident that Rik was a bit of a nightmare as a comedy partner from the Young Ones days onwards. And that Peter Richardson's temper got the better of him at times.

I was well chuffed by all the Comic Strip stuff in this one. Dawn, Jennifer and Lenny didn't give as much space to it as I'd hoped in their autobiographies, but Ade talks about the club, the films, and his colleagues loads. It was a real treat hearing about what good friends they are. He illustrates this at one point by saying that Robbie Coltrane's daughter has just stopped by with honey from her mum's garden. Love it.

Doon's autobio next.

phantom_power

He's bigging up Marina Hyde on Twitter, which is a bit depressing

Which are the chapters about the Young Ones in the audiobook please? Just want to listen to those on Spotify. Ta.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 24, 2023, 04:43:10 PMFinished the audiobook. Terrific read. There've been lots of bits that have stuck in my mind and I've brought into various convos over the last couple of weeks. He's remarkably open about friends' deaths and his mental health and abuse at his horrible private school. He prefers to keep his marriage private and fair enough. It's evident that Rik was a bit of a nightmare as a comedy partner from the Young Ones days onwards. And that Peter Richardson's temper got the better of him at times.

I was well chuffed by all the Comic Strip stuff in this one. Dawn, Jennifer and Lenny didn't give as much space to it as I'd hoped in their autobiographies, but Ade talks about the club, the films, and his colleagues loads. It was a real treat hearing about what good friends they are. He illustrates this at one point by saying that Robbie Coltrane's daughter has just stopped by with honey from her mum's garden. Love it.

Doon's autobio next.

" Robbie Coltrane's daughter has just stopped by with honey from her mum's garden"

Oh no, honey tainted by JK Rowling support. Poison!

JK Rowling

Virgo76

Quote from: Fried Egg Sandwich on November 16, 2023, 03:21:40 PMWhich are the chapters about the Young Ones in the audiobook please? Just want to listen to those on Spotify. Ta.
Ade would be disappointed by your attitude.
As he points out himself, he is now nearly 67 and only ever spent 15 weeks of his life (less than 0.5%) doing The Young Ones. He likes it and is proud of it, but has not generally watched any of it for forty years.
The chapter entitled The Young Ones simply reads: "Surely enough has been said about this over the years."
But this turns out to be a trick! Turn the page and a proper chapter begins on the series ("Oh, alright then...") It is, in fact, the longest chapter in the book.
But, in fact, there's lots of other stuff about it scattered throughout the book, so you would miss a lot if you just read that chapter. I read the hard copy so cannot help you with your Spotify stuff.
Are you really not interested in anything else about him? I'd recommend the whole book personally. It won't take you long. It's 400 pages, but seems shorter. It only took me a few days.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 24, 2023, 04:43:10 PMFinished the audiobook. Terrific read. There've been lots of bits that have stuck in my mind and I've brought into various convos over the last couple of weeks. He's remarkably open about friends' deaths and his mental health and abuse at his horrible private school. He prefers to keep his marriage private and fair enough. It's evident that Rik was a bit of a nightmare as a comedy partner from the Young Ones days onwards. And that Peter Richardson's temper got the better of him at times.

Definitely. The sections about his childhood are unbearably grim. It was a tough listen on a personal level for me: I very nearly ended up at Swain House middle school in Bradford myself, albeit ten or so years later, and while my family never - that I know of - went to the Sunbridge Road mission, they were similarly sunlit Methodists. Flanders and Swan fans. And yeah, I'm not going to lie, his descriptions of his emotionally constipated, constantly denigrating father resonated all too uncomfortably with me. You don't realise it's weird, and poisonous, if that's the water you swim in as a young fish.

Personal therapy sessions to one side, though, I'd echo the praise: it's a considerably more multi-faceted book than you might expect from an ex-comedian's autobiography.

Glebe

I'm waiting to pick this up in a sale (and Doon Mackichan's book too).

markburgle

Audiobook is on the Spotify if you're into that kind of thing

Glebe