Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theater Camp (2023)

Started by Mister Six, October 17, 2023, 05:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

This is on Hulu in the US, so probably on Disney+ elsewhere. It's a cracking little mockumentary following the staff (and occasionally students) at a struggling summer camp devoted to the theatrical arts.

Unfortunately, the woman who runs the camp (Amy Sedaris, only cameoing, sadly) is taken out of action and her dimwitted wannabe techbro influencer son has to keep it from being repossessed by the bank. Along for the ride are an unbearably pretentious pair of failed performers-turned-teachers, two extremely self-absorbed queens, a tech guy with hidden talents and a new hire whose CV is too good to be true (because it's not). And Patti Harrison's in it too!

Most of the characters are deliberately awful to some extent (on casting a child: "I'm worried she doesn't have the sexuality to play it. Obviously, everyone on this board is a virgin, but Chantal seems like a virgin as soon as she walks in the room") but they're still oddly endearing, and while the film is mostly pretty low key, the laughs build and build as it goes along.

Definitely recommended - I laughed harder at this than a lot of other comedies this year.

Mobius

This was really good. Made me laugh a lot, all the kids were hilarious yeah a really enjoyable film

Noodle Lizard

The introduction of the Crypto Bois (or whatever they were called) mincing their way down the hill with their selfie sticks has popped into my head and forced a laugh out of me at least once a day since I saw it.