Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WONKA

Started by The Bumlord, December 04, 2023, 10:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Here's what I put up on Letterboxd:

Wonka (2023) - After making what's unarguably the greatest film of all time Paddington 2's Paul King and Simon Farnaby were always going to disappoint, and choosing a project like this sounded like a disastrous idea. But it's pretty good, I mean it's no Paddington 1, but it's cute, Timothy Chalment makes for a likeable enough Wonka, Hugh Grant was great fun, and visually it's a pleasure, and if none of the songs are going to make it on to "SMBH's Top 46 Songs From Musicals" CD they mostly raise a smile or two. The only problem I really had with it was the ending, it was just a bit boring,
Spoiler alert
everyone got their just desserts, or their nice desserts, and it left me wondering, if his Mum's advice for a successful life is "The secret is it's not the chocolate that matters, it's the people your share it with" than what traumatic event is going to take place to make him a paranoid lunatic where Noodle, Lottie Bell and Hugh Grant are no longer part of his life? I get that Rich Fulcher and Jim Carter's characters probably died of old age / diabetes, but as he locks himself away for years on end is he not doing the opposite of what his dear old mama suggested?
[close]
Either way, that and the lack of real peril or excitement at the end lost it a good few points. 7.7/10

Head Gardener

it came up on the torrents over the weekend and I still can't be arsed, sorry

ZoyzaSorris

My son went with his dad (me) and his dads dad today and we all enjoyed it a lot tbh - that's my review