Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sitcoms which reference other sitcoms

Started by Lapsedcat, February 18, 2024, 02:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: g0m on February 18, 2024, 04:43:57 PMcommunity had a few. abed taking a class on who's the boss, comparing the s5 repilot to scrubs, stuff like that

Abed taking a trip to the set of Cougartown

notjosh

Characters in 30 Rock putting on a Night Court reunion.

NoOffenceLynn

Yes! it is a great scene
Made all the better with Wilson trying not to corpse.

@Glebe

[/quote].

Glebe

I'm sure there's some sitcom where one character is referred to disparagingly as being like Frank Spencer but annoyingly I cannae think wot it is.

wobinidan

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 18, 2024, 04:57:40 PMI think South Park may have had some references too.

They had an entire episode called 'Simpsons did it' about how South Park couldn't think of any plotlines that the Simpsons hadn't already done!

Glebe

Oh yeah in OFaH's 'It Never Rains...', in the Spanish prison Grandad talks about the trouble he and his mate Nobby Clark got into in Spain during the Civil War - and the character of the same name from It Ain't Half Hot Mum was played by none other than Kenneth MacDonald, who had yet to join OFaH as Mike.

McChesney Duntz

There's an episode of Seinfeld (during the heavy-meta "Jerry" pilot season) with an NBC executive having to leave a meeting because there's "trouble on the set of Blossom" (a fairly innocuous, kid-friendly sitcom on the same network at the time) ("Poor Blossom," said Jerry), who in turn had an NBC executive leaving a meeting (or something) because there's "trouble on the set of Seinfeld." ("Poor Jerry," said Blossom.) Since there was likely no major overlap between the two shows' audiences (except, ahem, me, apparently), I imagine the reference was lost on most everyone watching.

FredNurke

Quote from: Glebe on February 18, 2024, 08:59:52 PMOh yeah in OFaH's 'It Never Rains...', in the Spanish prison Grandad talks about the trouble he and his mate Nobby Clark got into in Spain during the Civil War - and the character of the same name from It Ain't Half Hot Mum was played by none other than Kenneth MacDonald, who had yet to join OFaH as Mike.

Doesn't count, I'm afraid - people with the surname Clark(e) traditionally got the nickname 'Nobby', especially in the armed forces (another is 'Dusty' Miller).

Andy147

Quote from: Auntie Beryl on February 18, 2024, 06:02:53 PMScrubs has a bit about the theme tune to Charles In Charge.

So does Superstore (Jonah dares Amy to sing the theme over the P.A.), and it's on Family Guy a few times.

Glebe

Quote from: FredNurke on February 19, 2024, 12:22:37 AMDoesn't count, I'm afraid - people with the surname Clark(e) traditionally got the nickname 'Nobby', especially in the armed forces (another is 'Dusty' Miller).

😶

g0m

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 18, 2024, 07:57:05 PMAbed taking a trip to the set of Cougartown

cougartown having danny pudi as abed in the bg of a scene

Bartholomew J Krishna

Quote from: mr. logic on February 18, 2024, 05:25:49 PMWhy isn't Larry Sanders available to stream in the U.K. for fuck's sake
I have no idea.
But it is available for download.

chip

Quote from: g0m on February 19, 2024, 05:26:24 AMcougartown having danny pudi as abed in the bg of a scene

That's 'background', for the benefit of literally everyone else.

Oosp

Minami Minegishi

Just rewatching Arrested Development and there are mentions of both Happy Days and Curb which is disorientatingly fun given they share so many actors. 

idunnosomename

Quote from: wobinidan on February 18, 2024, 08:32:47 PMThey had an entire episode called 'Simpsons did it' about how South Park couldn't think of any plotlines that the Simpsons hadn't already done!

and a two-parter about Family Guy! They're going to show a cutaway gag with the prophet Muhammad, Cartman hates the show so much he cycles to California to pretend he cares about Muslims to get the show cancelled.

A Bart Simpson character also shows up in that as an accomplice of Cartman in trying to get Family Guy pulled.

Dr M1nx PhD

Family Guy and the Simpsons did a crossover two-parter set in Springfield where each character got paired off with their equivalent (Meg/Lisa, Stewie/Bart, Brian/Santa's Little Helper etc) and had a little story. It was just... wrong. I blame Disney.

g0m

Quote from: chip on February 19, 2024, 10:35:41 AMThat's 'background', for the benefit of literally everyone else.

i think some people probably cracked the code

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr M1nx PhD on February 19, 2024, 01:10:45 PMFamily Guy and the Simpsons did a crossover two-parter set in Springfield where each character got paired off with their equivalent (Meg/Lisa, Stewie/Bart, Brian/Santa's Little Helper etc) and had a little story. It was just... wrong. I blame Disney.
It aired in 2014, well before Disney bought Fox. I blame everybody else (except Harry Shearer who managed to throw up some "scheduling conflicts" to avoid appearing).

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 18, 2024, 05:16:13 PMHancock episode The Bowmans if it counts, there must other ones in Hancock i'm forgetting

"24 Bilkos have been flashing round this room with nobody to watch 'em"

Dr M1nx PhD

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 19, 2024, 03:43:08 PMIt aired in 2014, well before Disney bought Fox. I blame everybody else (except Harry Shearer who managed to throw up some "scheduling conflicts" to avoid appearing).

Bloody hell was it really that long ago? I don't doubt you, I'm just aghast at the passage of time.

Fair fucks to Harry Shearer though.

Gulftastic

In the sitcom Ellen, one of the characters was dating an actor who appeared in 'Welcome Back Kotter', the us remake of 'Please, Sir'.

It helped make John Travolata a star. Apparently, in the Yank version, the class members were nicknamed 'the sweat hogs'. Not a clue why.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on February 19, 2024, 03:50:10 PM"24 Bilkos have been flashing round this room with nobody to watch 'em"

excellent

Quote from: Dr M1nx PhD on February 19, 2024, 01:10:45 PMFamily Guy and the Simpsons did a crossover two-parter set in Springfield where each character got paired off with their equivalent (Meg/Lisa, Stewie/Bart, Brian/Santa's Little Helper etc) and had a little story. It was just... wrong. I blame Disney.

My hat was thoroughly fucked when I found out the "I'm in danger" meme wasn't from Zombie Simpsons, but from Family Guy.

thenoise

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 18, 2024, 02:54:06 PMThe Good Life in The Young Ones.

Men behaving badly also referenced the Good Life. Clunes suggested that he wouldn't be able to do much small-holding as he'd be too busy shagging Felicity Kendell (or words to that effect).

thenoise

I guess Royle Family had a few, it being so heavily based around TV watching? The only one I can think of right now is Antony and Darren trading rubbish Ali G impressions.

Angst in my Pants

FRIENDS had a full-on crossover with Mad About You, the show Lisa Kudrow was in (playing Ursula) before she was cast as Phoebe in FRIENDS.

Ursula appeared in an episode of FRIENDS as Phoebe's twin sister, which also featured an appearance from Helen Hunt playing her Mad About You character Jamie.

This E! News article surprised me in that I had no idea that Michael Richards had also appeared on Mad About You in character as Kramer from Seinfeld.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think Mad About You was ever broadcast in the UK, was it similar in tone to either of FRIENDS or Seinfeld?

Just to tie together the two thread of the Simpsons and Andy Capp:

Oh, Nobody

South Park episode with the counter at the bottom for how many times they say "shit" features the Drew Carey Show

Dave Foley's character in Newsradio loves Green Acres, Vicki Lewis is IN love with Beavis, Steven Root buys what he believes to be George 'Goober' Lindsay's skull and Andy Dick is gifted the rights to Fibber McGee and Molly in an episode.

Cheers episode where Frasier is trying to make the patrons more literate has dialogue along these lines: "A Tale of Two Cities? Charles..."  "In Charge?"

bigfatheart

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on February 19, 2024, 08:36:07 PMDave Foley's character in Newsradio loves Green Acres, Vicki Lewis is IN love with Beavis, Steven Root buys what he believes to be George 'Goober' Lindsay's skull and Andy Dick is gifted the rights to Fibber McGee and Molly in an episode.

Came here to post about the Green Acres references in NewsRadio. There's also this reference to M*A*S*H:

QuoteDave : I didn't just sign for a stolen jeep, did I, Radar?
Beth : Dave, I don't watch "Star Trek".