Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

G'Wed

Started by Utter Shit, February 23, 2024, 03:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Anyone else seen this? It's got a terrible name and not only is it on ITV, home of the shit sitcom...it's actually been buried on ITVX. Making it possibly the lowest pedigree comedy series I can remember in terms of terrestrial TV.

And yet...it's pretty good! It's about a group of teenagers, and involves a posh kid moving to the local comprehensive, so the comparisons with the Inbetweeners are inevitable and absolutely valid, but it's not just a shit rip-off.

It's set in Liverpool which immediately gives it a bit of distance from the Inbetweeners, and it feels more like a modern-day take on that show (which makes me feel sick to say, because surely the Inbetweeners only came out about five years ago) than a copy. The main cast of kids are pretty much all great, particularly Reece. Based on the first episode, it feels like it will have a bit of heart to it as well.

I've only seen the first episode, and I was definitely coming into it with extremely low expectations so maybe I'm more positive than I would be if it was made by another channel, but I'll definitely be sticking with it for a few episodes to see how it goes.

https://www.itv.com/watch/gwed/10a1909/10a1909a0001

Asclepius

It continues to be good, several episodes in. Great cast and, as you said, it had a real heart to it. Not punching down in the same way, say, Shameless often did.

dissolute ocelot

Cool. I've not watched it yet but it's got some press from Russell T Davies praising it on social media (he's not directly involved but has done stuff for ITVX). And Stuart Heritage also liked it but I'm sure that's not reason to avoid.

chutnut

Yeah we watched this last week and thought it was surprisingly good. From the name/poster/first 5 mins it looked like it was going to be awful. Ended up watching the whole series in one go

Twilkes

I'm sure there was an article, possibly on BBC, about the greatest unknown sitcom, and it turned out to be this. I assumed it was some old thing from decades ago but apparently not.

Goldentony

has anyone else from Liverpool here never once said "liverpudlian" or g'wed

Chollis

Mobius

Quote from: Twilkes on February 23, 2024, 04:08:26 PMI'm sure there was an article, possibly on BBC, about the greatest unknown sitcom, and it turned out to be this. I assumed it was some old thing from decades ago but apparently not.

was it this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/21/a-funny-filthy-classic-in-the-making-this-rare-beast-of-a-sitcom-has-been-criminally-overlooked

it does sound quite good. is it more comedy or drama?

no_offenc

Quote from: Goldentony on February 23, 2024, 06:23:51 PMhas anyone else from Liverpool here never once said "liverpudlian" or g'wed

i say "go 'ed" fairly often, not sure what this "g'wed" bollocks is

Kankurette

I've heard Scousers say 'go ed' but not 'g'wed'.

JesusAndYourBush

When I saw this thread the other day there were only a couple of posts and I didn't understand the title.  Saw a trailer for the show yesterday and it became clear, except you wouldn't spell it like that would you?

Also I've heard "come 'ed" a bunch if times but I can't remember ever hearing "go 'ed"

Jackson K Pollock

I've read this thread and watched the first episode and I still have no idea what the title means.

Is it just an abbreviation of "Go ahead", or is there more to it than that?

spicedgold

Yeah, an abbreviation of "go ahead". Might say it if your football team has a chance of scoring a goal etc

Bernice

I've definitely said it and probably even written it in texts

imitationleather

Odd title, but I really enjoyed the three episodes I watched earlier. It occupies a midpoint between Inbetweeners and Skins, I reckon.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Skinbetweeners?

I feel like Ladhood deserves mentioning - so there it is.

Watched first two episodes last night. Solid. Thought the two male teachers were well cast, well acted. Good number of extended cast so real room to play in later episodes - thought the best little 'moment' was the arabic/shakespeare scene in episode 2.

neveragain

I'm shocked by the positive reviews given the how crap the trailers looked.

ERADICATOR!

Alright. New in town. Binged G'Wed yesterday and very much enjoyed it. I will say, though, as a Scouser, it does err a bit too much on the 'Scousers are harmless cheeky wits' side. No-one got stabbed or hospitalised, which was deeply unrealistic as far as my school experiences go. I did appreciate them not toning the language down too.

lauraxsynthesis

Good in a lot of ways, but are the 2 angry gym dudes who don't wear uniforms supposed to be in the same class as the main characters? They look about 30?

imitationleather

I assumed them looking so much older and out of place was meant to be a joke. I remember at that age girls would have older boyfriends who were probably barely 20 but they also looked absurdly old compared to us.

Bob-Kate

Binged it this week and thought it was boss.

Yeah, it has definitely borrowed from both Derry Girls and The Inbetweeners, but that's fine - it's taking the good stuff from both of them.

Particularly liked
Spoiler alert
  • The two main girls mentally torturing their teacher - and their friendship generally, which brought back lots of memories of being a teenager
  • The fake devout muslim stuff - and the fake halal animal slaughter
  • The utterly silly, filthy obsession the Kevin McKidd-alike has with eating out Reece's mum's arse
  • The Arabic Shakespeare scene
  • All the daft TikTok shenanigans - such as Nan and the football celebrations
  • Scouse acting legends Louis Emerick and Sunita Sarkar turning up
[close]
Some touching scenes along the way too.

Could do without the older bully lads - one note and not very well acted.

Hope it gets another series.