Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Popeye

Started by Mobbd, March 08, 2024, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twilkes on March 08, 2024, 07:58:11 PMThe graphics on the ZX Spectrum version of the game are unbelievable, in both senses of the word:

that's some swagger popeye's got on him ffs lol

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 08, 2024, 02:17:18 PMI'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I live in a frying pan
I turned on the gas
And burned off my arse
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man

I remember:

I live in a caravan
There's a hole in the middle
Where Popeye can piddle

Kankurette

He lived in either a caravan or an old tin can, and when he went swimming he kissed all the women.

Senior Baiano

He's Popeye the sailor man

Proactive

I believe he also briefly lived in a jar of jam.

Senior Baiano

He goes to the vicar's, and pisses in his knickers.

JaDanketies

He lives on the isle of man, sits on the steeple, and pisses on the people

Shaxberd

The important thing is that he's ALWAYS PISSING.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 08, 2024, 05:47:03 PMWhile we're here, the American fried chicken chain Popeye's wasn't named after the character, but they did have a license deal to use him as a mascot for a while.

The owner of Popeyes Chicken claims it was named after Gene Hackman's character in The French Connection, Popeye Doyle (not sure who he was named after, was it a generic name for someone with sticky-out eyes?) It originally opened as "Chicken on the Run" in 1972 but went through several names (Popeyes Mighty Good Chicken, Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken), sponsored Popeye on local TV, and when it began franchising they licenced the sailor-man for decades. The Popeyes Wikipedia page is a joy, full of stuff like:

QuoteOn June 17, 2014, Popeyes announced it had re-acquired full control of its seasonings

QuoteOn November 18, 2011, AFC (Popeyes' parent company America's Favorite Chicken Company, Inc.) announced that, for the Thanksgiving holiday, Popeyes would release a Fried Turducken sandwich that would show off the first ever Turducken patty. On July 29, 2013, AFC began offering a special entree of fried chicken strips dipped in waffle batter, which was already a proven success in some markets. For a limited time only in 2017, Popeyes offered "Sweet and Crunchy" chicken, fried chicken tenders coated in shortbread cookie breading. In 2021, Popeyes introduced a flounder sandwich.

QuotePopeyes has made use of various slogans in television advertisements, most notably "Love that chicken from Popeyes".

There's also speculation that Israel's top-secret nuclear missile is called Popeye, which is also the name of various other Israeli missiles.

Senior Baiano

He lives in a frying pan, and when he gets silly, he pulls out his willy

gilbertharding

As a kid I was always confused by his face. The mouth on one side, the cheek bulging out on the other side with the pipe sticking out, only one eye.

Cool tattoos though. If I had the forearms for it, I'd have that tattoo.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: Twilkes on March 08, 2024, 07:58:11 PMThe graphics on the ZX Spectrum version of the game are unbelievable, in both senses of the word:

I had this... this brought back memories. I didn't get any further than that part, didn't know what to do, fucked it off every time.

kalowski

Quote from: Proactive on March 12, 2024, 09:29:40 AMI believe he also briefly lived in a jar of jam.
I think you'll find it's a pot of jam.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 12, 2024, 03:09:22 PMHe lives in a frying pan, and when he gets silly, he pulls out his willy
i have to correct you on the latter, I believe you are thinking of Zippy, who consecutively shoves it (the willy) up Bungle's bum.

edit lol this is stickied to the front page. i'll bang on about how good the fleischer shorts are again if anyone wants. well except for the compilations and man the colour Aladdin two-reeler is a massive drop-off from Sindbad and Ali-Baba.

Twilkes

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on March 12, 2024, 03:38:54 PMI had this... this brought back memories. I didn't get any further than that part, didn't know what to do, fucked it off every time.

The guy who programmed it, Don Priestley, was renowned for massive graphics on the otherwise visually impaired Spectrum. His classic game was Trap Door, based on the children's TV programme, but he also wrote Benny Hill's Madcap Chase which, while not a great game, was funnier than many of the sketches from the actual Benny Hill TV shows.

Glebe

Brutus* is sitting unconscious in a bin.

OLIVE OYL: Oh Popeye, my hero!

POPEYE (turning to camera): Brutus* got beaten 'cos spinach I'm eatin', I'm Popeye the Sailor Man! *poop poop!*

*Or Bluto.

Angst in my Pants

I remember visiting the set of the Popeye movie in Malta some 25 years ago. At the time I wasn't even aware that there had been a Popeye movie, so I was expecting something bright and cheerful, but instead it felt like visiting a rather eerie ghost town.

Looking online I see it's still a popular visitor attraction, and they've tried to cheer it up by adding some activity areas for children, but it does seem strange to me that it's so popular when the film isn't widely known.

I must try and find my photos, as I'm wondering if my memory has been muddied by the fact I was a surly teenager at the time.

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Glebe on March 14, 2024, 08:44:32 AMBrutus* is sitting unconscious in a bin.

OLIVE OYL: Oh Popeye, my hero!

POPEYE (turning to camera): Brutus* got beaten 'cos spinach I'm eatin', I'm Popeye the Sailor Man! *poop poop!*

*Or Bluto.

Ah yes, the notorious 'bad quarto' of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

madhair60

Alberon

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 14, 2024, 02:00:30 PMAh yes, the notorious 'bad quarto' of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

Et tu, Brute? Ug-gug-gug!

keir

Is the frying pan he lived in the same one that Spiderman dropped his knickers in, I wonder?

Bentpitch

He Needs Me is a brilliant song, though.

idunnosomename

Odd thing is that Sony fucked up on animated feature film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, the first Clone Wars cartoon, Hotel Transylvania)

In 2014 Sony put out this animation test online, off the back of the Hotel Transylvania success.
tbh I wasnt impressed at the time and I still dont like it much. Olive moves well and the tracking camera is interesting, but its lacking inventive fight gags and Tom Kenny is a lackluster Popeye, who seems uncharacteristically weak.

Just found out in 2022 an animatic (semi-animated storyboard, with voices, essentially) of the entire movie was leaked, probably from the 2016 Sony hack. So got further than any expected.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/genndy-tartakovskys-popeye-animatic-video-leaked-219062.html
Sony seem to be heavy on DCMAs with it but doesnt seem too hard to find, although dont see myself watching all near an hour and a half of it soon

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 19, 2024, 06:59:17 PMOdd thing is that Sony fucked up on animated feature film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, the first Clone Wars cartoon, Hotel Transylvania)

In 2014 Sony put out this animation test online, off the back of the Hotel Transylvania success.
tbh I wasnt impressed at the time and I still dont like it much. Olive moves well and the tracking camera is interesting, but its lacking inventive fight gags and Tom Kenny is a lackluster Popeye, who seems uncharacteristically weak.

Just found out in 2022 an animatic (semi-animated storyboard, with voices, essentially) of the entire movie was leaked, probably from the 2016 Sony hack. So got further than any expected.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/genndy-tartakovskys-popeye-animatic-video-leaked-219062.html
Sony seem to be heavy on DCMAs with it but doesnt seem too hard to find, although dont see myself watching all near an hour and a half of it soon

Watched the whole thing when I was working a bank holiday a bit back. It has it's moments. Bluto is pretty much wasted and played like a bumbling oaf more than the roughneck arsehole we know and love. Less fighting than I'd like. Precious little Wimpy but I guess a little goes a long way. Can't say I'd have loved it, but I still wish it got made. Oh well.

idunnosomename

eh i'll try and have a look at sitting through it. Genndy in his cartoon network days did some amazing things with limited animation (Dexter's Lab genuinely hilarious, Samurai Jack was absolutely gorgeous and engaging, should say of course the Powerpuff Girls was created by Craig McCracken, but Genndy was a big part in the direction and animation, he also made General Grievous look way cooler than Lucas did).

Hotel Transylvania has spun off into its own massive franchise thing but it seems to have better oldey-timey animation principles than, well, The Emoji Movie at least.

RyoG

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 08, 2024, 08:57:56 PMSome of the '40s/'50s colour Popeyes are alright (they lose their edge, and there's other studios making much better stuff at that point), but the King Features Syndicate Inc. stuff is total fucking bilge, even if they have Jack Mercer etc in them. I think they just blatantly stole old episode plots and remade them with extremely limited animation so they'd get the syndication fees.

There's one particular Kings Features short with animation so bad it needs to be seen to be believed!

idunnosomename

in tears at that. it's almost like an in-joke to highlight bad practice in animation, genuinely difficult to tell what is supposed to be happening at some points.

the trees popeye are chopping down stop before the top of the frame with a green scribble. then they blatantly reuse them over and over regardless. brutus' shirt changes to blue in one brief shot. the legs when popeye's stuck in the tree (because it's hollow... for some reason) have nothing to do with anything and are just played backward and forward. the two frames they have of Olive yelling when tied to the trunk. some genuine "I have to go now, my planet needs me" non-animation. there are no jokes.

Not sure exactly what "checking" Paul Marron was doing. I've had dreams with better continuity than that.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Hank the Rapper on March 08, 2024, 06:41:46 PMThere was a one-off strip, Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man around 2003, featuring him gaining strength from a tin of communion wafers and saving Sister Olive from Cardinal Bluto. I'll see if I can take a pic at some point...

I'm Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man
I lives in the Va-ti-can
And thanks to the Bible
I'm quite infall-ible
I'm Pope-Eye the Pontiff Man!

Toot-toot!

My long running Pope Ye* jokoid that nobody thinks is funny that I wedge in any time the pope or Popeye is mentioned is better.

*that's the joke, all of it, there's a pope called Ye

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 12, 2024, 10:31:31 AMThe important thing is that he's ALWAYS PISSING.

Or kissing

Quote from: Senior Baiano on March 11, 2024, 09:09:17 PMHe's Popeye the sailor man

Toot-toot!