Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook- advice sought

Started by magister, March 15, 2024, 06:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FredNurke

The entirety of the episode of Not Only But Also with Peter Sellers is on Youtube; I don't think that was in the US or UK releases but could well be wrong.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm a completist so have seen Yellowbeard, which is awful, but has an amazing cast including PC so you might want a look.

Cook plays the antagonist in Tony Grounds' Gone to Seed (1992) which I absolutely love and have watched several times. Also terrific cast - Jim Broadbent, Alison Steadman and Warren Clarke as TRIPLETS and Sheila Hancock as their mum. It's on Youtube.

I don't think anyone has mentioned A Life In Pieces (1990) yet? Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling 12-part Christmas themed interviews with Ludovic Kennedy.

Trunk Records has some awesome rarities for tuppence ha'penny including
The full Bedazzled soundtrack which is just excellent and The Last Laugh - Cook, Bron et al's 1959 Cambridge Footlights show. Thanks Johnny!!

And there's this 1967 45 The L.S. Bumble Bee + The Bee Side

There's also this stuff on iPlayer I posted about the other day.

Loads of post-death documentary stuff on Youtube. Just a few of the longer ones:
Some Interesting Facts About Peter Cook (1995) is a real downer - he wasted his talent and his last years were grim kind of thing. Some wonderful interviews with his peers in there though and I particularly liked Barry Humphries' contributions. 
Peter Cook - At A Slight Angle To The Universe (2002) which I haven't seen recently.
Victor Lewis-Smith's The Undiscovered Peter Cook (2016) is great and when I rewatched it recently I was in floods at Dudley at the secretly recorded funeral. 

I love nearly everything Peter and second all the Derek and Clive shouts. It's not for everyone but for me it remains some of the funniest stuff ever recorded.

I love his chat show appearances and often re-watch random ones, especially the Clive James ones, who tended to ask a good question and let Peter go. The sex infront of the television stuff is some of my favourite ever Cook.

Skip Bittman

Shame we never got actual releases of the full set of NOBA off-airs that turned up or the stuff Lewis-Smith uncovered. Who would even be in a position to push for a release like that now?

Cold Meat Platter

EDIT: Been mentioned, the Life in Pieces stuff, fantastic

Cold Meat Platter

His turn as the prime minister in the film Whoops Apocalypse was good.

Cold Meat Platter

neveragain

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 16, 2024, 12:02:02 AMCook plays the antagonist in Tony Grounds' Gone to Seed (1992) which I absolutely love and have watched several times. Also terrific cast - Jim Broadbent, Alison Steadman and Warren Clarke as TRIPLETS and Sheila Hancock as their mum. It's on Youtube.

This sounds great, thanks!

Shaky

Re his appearance as four characters on Clive Anderson's show, did he write those by himself or with anyone else? They're a fantastic cap to Cook's career and life. So many brilliant lines. The sozzled old bugger really pulled it out of the bag late in the game.

There's his turn as Richard III in 'The Foretelling', the first episode of Blackadder/ The Black Adder.

'You're... not putting him anywhere near me, are you?'

derek stitt

The vicar in the Princes Bride

Cook could not act but, have a memory of him as some snide reporter in a Jerry Lee Lewis film.

The only good thing about THOTB is Hugh Griffiths mad staring eyes and Max wall saying cheese Ada.
The only good thing about YB is Beryl Reid saying 'oooh stop that man pissing on that hedge'

I have simple tastes

markburgle

He done an ITV series, Peter Cook & Co, in the 80's. Had at least one good sketch with John Cleese as Neville Chamberlain

FredNurke

Just a one-off special, I think, more's the pity. I thought it had been taken off YT, but it appears that at least some of it's still there:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 (the 'Peace in our time' sketch, probably the best bit)

Quote from: Shaky on March 16, 2024, 01:45:47 AMRe his appearance as four characters on Clive Anderson's show, did he write those by himself or with anyone else? They're a fantastic cap to Cook's career and life. So many brilliant lines. The sozzled old bugger really pulled it out of the bag late in the game.

I think he and Clive were at the same party and the idea was formed then. Peter wrote most if not all of it - perhaps Clive suggested questions and topics but as far as I know it's all Peter's work.

Autopsy Turvey

The only thing to avoid is the CD of slurred mumbled chats with his hippy neighbour. Got its own slipcase, unaccountably.

Brundle-Fly

Then, if you fancy music intermissions watch the TV series Revolver wot Pete hosted.

NattyDread 2

Is the Derek and Clive film any good? I'm a big fan of the 'Live' record.

lauraxsynthesis

That stabbers website is very confusing to navigate but remarkably thorough. The letters exchange between Lin and Harry Thompson about PC going into hospital for example. 

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on March 16, 2024, 09:30:49 PMIs the Derek and Clive film any good? I'm a big fan of the 'Live' record.

I enjoy most of the filth, so to me it would be a wonderful film if it weren't for Peter's obvious unhappiness at various points. Lots of anger at Dudley coming out and Dud just trying to ride it out. And the addictions are evident of course which is particularly distressing in retrospect.

Still, they're able to laugh about it years later when the video comes out. BTW folks coming to the Cambridge meetup are likely to see me in a Derek & Clive are alive tshirt as seen here.

ERADICATOR!

NGL, Derek and Clive's more way-out material, although it's morally awful, makes me laugh til pop shoots out of my nose.

I was just re-familiarizing myself with 'Get The Horn' and thinking "how on earth can I recommend this to someone" while guiltily cracking up

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: FredNurke on March 16, 2024, 08:53:51 AMJust a one-off special, I think, more's the pity. I thought it had been taken off YT...

Aha! Brilliant! My incessant YT downloading pays off! Here's the whole special.

Panbaams

The above-mentioned Establishment is/was the website of the marvellous (and long defunct) PC fanzine Publish and Bedazzled. Many of the articles and interviews that appeared in Pub and Bed (including a Why Bother?-related chat with Chris Morris) were collected in the book How Very Interesting, which is well worth tracking down.

kaprisky

Since we're here has anyone got a better quality copy of Cook's obscure single There Ain't No Morning After, a country and western style hoedown? The other side of this 7'' single had Spike Milligan doing Himazas, and both tracks seemed to be produced by Derek Wadsworth on the Paramount label in 1983.

Here is a low quality radio rip of Cook's song.

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 16, 2024, 10:24:42 PM

Sad to see Cook is obviously not well there. Just over a year later he was gone.

trabuch

This thread (thanks OP) sent me off down a bit of a rabbit hole. But I found this (Dud and Pete, as he puts it) on Dick Cavett, that I hadn't seen. It made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it. I was originally looking for Peter Cook on various youth TV programs from the 80s and 90s, but got distracted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxuq1Fzk7w

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on March 17, 2024, 12:14:44 PMSad to see Cook is obviously not well there. Just over a year later he was gone.

He really does look unwell :(

Quote from: trabuch on March 18, 2024, 12:59:13 AMThis thread (thanks OP) sent me off down a bit of a rabbit hole. But I found this (Dud and Pete, as he puts it) on Dick Cavett, that I hadn't seen. It made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it. I was originally looking for Peter Cook on various youth TV programs from the 80s and 90s, but got distracted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxuq1Fzk7w

The Zsa Zsa story!

Glebe

Quote from: magister on March 15, 2024, 09:26:36 PMI'm watching an old Arena documentary of Peter Sellers' home movies. I saw it when it was first shown in 1995. I was 24 and living in a bedsit with my girlfriend who was pregnant. Neither of us was working and we were living absolutely hand to mouth. Nearly 29 years ago. If you told me that one day I'd be looking back wistfully, I'd have told you you were off your head, but here I am.

Where do the bloody years go?

Heh, actually I would have just turned 18 when that episode of Clive Anderson was broadcast ('28 I was' being a bit of a CaB in-joke). Still going into me twenties, mind. Quite a nostalgic time, remember Absolutely being on around the same time.