Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heideckers the trip parody and some other stuff

Started by RickyGerbail, November 27, 2011, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyGerbail

Hi please don't worry i will not post any more threads after this. I thought that since some of you hadn't seen the on cinema podcast i might put up some other stuff i find really funny that Heidecker has been involved with. please don't ban.

http://youtu.be/80G38bxPeyI

RickyGerbail

And this interview on comedy bang bang where he is playing a kind of asshole character throughought. it's a spoof on another interview with Billy Bob Thornton i think. Later Neil Hamburger/Turkington joins and in the end Tim plays the role of Elton John and Turkington is Bernard Taupin.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/behind-the-music/

Depressed Beyond Tables

Little Hoover

Not exactly a parody.

QuoteA little Short Brett and I made last year. never really knew what to do with it.. After seeing "The Trip" felt king of redundant. Oh well, judge it for what it is.

But funnier than the trip anyway. Unless that description is part of the joke, which I guess it is now I think about it.

Retinend

Quote from: RickyGerbail on November 27, 2011, 05:28:02 PM
And this interview on comedy bang bang where he is playing a kind of asshole character throughought. it's a spoof on another interview with Billy Bob Thornton i think.

Do you know anything else about this?

Retinend

I accept the terms of the

Wow, a Tim Heidecker The Trip parody. What a thing to exist.

If we're just posting random Tim and Eric stuff, how about this Tim and Eric Night Live fake tension naturalistic thing? I've always loved this and assumed most people haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2L-zhc149Q&feature=relmfu

Retinend

The Night Live shows are smashing. The valentines episode especially. It feels as chaotic and half-improvised as it looks, but they're so funny with their respective shticks that just watching them acting off their guests can set me giggling. Probably a more consistent product than any series of Awesome Show, Great Job.

RickyGerbail

I wouldn't exactly call Nite Live a lost comedy gem, primarily because it doesn't strike me as trying to be or being funny all the time. Stuff like a whole show about updating to HD mode or the endless christmas carol song is more about being intriguingly mad, which is pretty hard to do actually.

I can't remember the Christmas one, but what is it about the HD episode that strikes you as not trying to be comedy? It's full of gags.

RickyGerbail

Yeah sure i remember it being funny but there are also these other elements that take up time that might not be funny but are rather more in the category of insane ideas, just like there's a lot of horror/gross out stuff in Tim and Eric Awesome show great job. It was a couple of years since i watched Nite Live though but that was my general impression.

It might be paced differently from most comedy seen in the mainstream and it's always a bit odd, but it's definitely comedy. And I think it's a gem, so I'll stick with calling it a lost comedy gem (lost is debatable!).

Retinend

it took me a few tries to get into it. definitely a 'grower', which is unfortunate for a show intended to be shown once in a 'live' setting (were they actually live?).

I don't think so. I think they were available on the failed Super Deluxe site for on-demand streaming until the site shut down. <<< load of bollocks, listen to Rachel.

Rachel

It certainly was streamed as 'live', then made available to watch later.
I remember being initially baffled by it but as it gradually becomes more of a shambles I loved it. The after show meeting being a particular highlight. Uncomfortable viewing too as I am unsure how much of it David Liebe-Hart understands is fake. I remember him being really upset at Neil Hamburger... Can't remember the details, been ages since I watched it but it was odd viewing.

RickyGerbail

I sort of agree with the sentiment that Liebe-Hart and also Richard Dunn and Quall adds a freak show element to T&E's work that isn't really dignified.

Yeah, Liebe-Hart is clearly mentally ill and their abuse of him for laughs crosses a line... although I still found them hijacking his stupid public access Christianity show hilarious so what the hell. I think the way they've responded to it in the past is that they gave them a platform they otherwise wouldn't have got, but I'm not sure that really rings true to me.

Liebe-Hart is particularly embarassing in a couple of episodes of Nite Live, they have to actually demand he shuts up a few times and they break character to do it. If you didn't want a mental dude interjecting, don't hire him?

Thanks for the links anyway, Body Boys was great - nice to finally see Natascha Leggero in something else, she did an amazing Paula Abdul in something a while ago and I always thought she was someone to look out for. As well as being fucking gorgeous.

Harfyyn Teuport

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 28, 2011, 07:35:15 AM
This one is LOVELY. Within 5 minutes.

I love Tim's pitch perfect passive-aggressive exasperation in this - "It was a Five N' Dime, get used to it", "Faxed contracts, yeah I do them every day". I would love for Frank Black, Lour Reed or Van Morrison to hear this and recognise themselves in his responses.

Retinend

Quote from: Harfyyn Teuport on November 28, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
I love Tim's pitch perfect passive-aggressive exasperation in this - "It was a Five N' Dime, get used to it", "Faxed contracts, yeah I do them every day". I would love for Frank Black, Lour Reed or Van Morrison to hear this and recognise themselves in his responses.

Yes, now I listen again it works not just as a topical parody (of the Thornton interview), but as a general satire of artists who reject the media in attitude, whilst still craving the exposure. Heidecker's stuff about 'commodification' was wonderfully garbled and really pinpoints the inanity of that sort of post-modern cultural complaint.

RickyGerbail

The first segment he does there is one of my favourite things he's ever done, it's not scripted yet all answers are funny, althought i've had to listen to it a number of times to take it all in.  I bet he's listened and read a bunch of interviews with different rock stars over the years and just put all of it into that.

-Take the money i spent on production and triple it

-That would amount to about 90000 dollars"

-Not even close

-But you told me that you spent 30000 dollars on production.

"Ball of wax" "Bushel full of cereal grains" etc.

Harfyyn Teuport

Quote from: RetinendYes, now I listen again it works not just as a topical parody (of the Thornton interview), but as a general satire of artists who reject the media in attitude, whilst still craving the exposure. Heidecker's stuff about 'commodification' was wonderfully garbled and really pinpoints the inanity of that sort of post-modern cultural complaint.

Yeah, it's the self-satisfied anti-commercial stance taken by any act desperate to distance themselves from the promotion that pays their rent. When I used to have to interview bands it was a lot more prevalent among young bucks, new on the scene, aching for credibility and just being needlessy difficult and sullen - that and citing the Velvet Underground as an influence, yet showing no knowledge of their work when prompted. Carl Barat and Kele Okeke were like this very early on and then, paradoxically mellowed out later, presumably after hearing how ludicrous they sounded in interview after interview. Then there's your elder statesman, desperate for their new work to stand on its own merits without talking about any of their previous, generally much better, work - like Van Morrison, whose music I love but, upon meeting him, realised his soul is literally filled with compacted shit.

wheatgod

The Herman Cain inspired album "Cainthology: Songs In The Key Of Cain" is well worth picking up. Most of the songs are on YouTube, but proceeds from the album go to charidee.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Harfyyn Teuport on November 28, 2011, 06:06:23 PM
Van Morrison, whose music I love but, upon meeting him, realised his soul is literally filled with compacted shit.

yup

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: RickyGerbail on November 27, 2011, 05:28:02 PM
And this interview on comedy bang bang where he is playing a kind of asshole character throughought. it's a spoof on another interview with Billy Bob Thornton i think. Later Neil Hamburger/Turkington joins and in the end Tim plays the role of Elton John and Turkington is Bernard Taupin.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/behind-the-music/

Best piece of comedy in a long while.

I love how when he explains that
Spoiler alert
he has a Bernie Taupin type lyricist, the first song they play is entitled 'Life On The Road'. One man's lament on behalf of another, most likely through conjecture. Brilliant.
[close]