Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:49:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heideckers the trip parody and some other stuff

Started by RickyGerbail, November 27, 2011, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I accept the terms of the

That song is on the Heidecker and Wood album, which is a fantastically subtle and brilliant parody of soft rock, and listenable at the same time. Highly-rec!

RickyGerbail

" timheidecker timheidecker
Wife crying. I thought a spindle of CD-Rs would be a thoughtful and practical gift."

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on December 25, 2011, 09:08:18 AM
That song is on the Heidecker and Wood album, which is a fantastically subtle and brilliant parody of soft rock, and listenable at the same time. Highly-rec!

Yeah I'm waiting for that to come back into stock on cdwow.

Edit: It's back! Jurassic Park.

(They have it on vinyl too)

Depressed Beyond Tables

Heidecker and Wood album is great. Lots of subtle muso gags. Kinda yacht rock Spinal Tap.

Don't think this has been posted yet:

http://oncinemapodcast.tumblr.com/

On Cinema with Tim Heidecker. Brief classic film reviews.

KLG-7A

The Trip parody looks like it's becoming a full series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWZPE4p9k-0&feature=g-all-u

This clip made me laugh a lot. De-constructing comedy at the same time as tearing it apart.

RickyGerbail

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 28, 2012, 09:16:04 PM
Heidecker and Wood album is great. Lots of subtle muso gags. Kinda yacht rock Spinal Tap.

there's a lot more of Tim's unique right wing perspective in the new episodes, i like that.

perdothegit

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on January 28, 2012, 09:16:04 PM

They're really playing the long game with this podcast. I love it!

Noodle Lizard

I just saw Tim Heidecker (unexpectedly) performing on a Neil Hamburger bill tonight in LA.  I don't know much about Tim & Eric, having tried to sit through their movie before shutting it off after about forty minutes, but still had high(ish) hopes considering he's a respected name among many of the right circles.

Well, his act was absolutely terrible.  I don't know if he's new to stand-up or if it was some extremely elaborate "character", but he came off like a bad open mic novice.  He fluffed pretty much every joke, kept reading off a card and had seemingly no performance skills. 

But most absurdly, in apparent desperation, he started having a go at the comic who'd been on just before him (guy I don't know called Jon Daly) over some incredibly mild Twitter feud earlier in the day, where this Daly fellow had given a sarcastic "good one!" to one of his tweets.  What Tim didn't know was that this guy was still in the audience, and after some harsh words came up on stage.  Things escalated and Tim eventually attacked him, trying to get him in a headlock, pushing the monitors around before failing and storming off-stage, leaving this Daly guy with the microphone who then went on to explain the situation further. 

It was really bizarre, and I can't imagine anyone taking Tim's side in this.  Maybe he was having a bad day, but I won't bother following anything he does as a result of this temper tantrum (though admittedly it was funnier and more entertaining than either comics' set).

Also on the bill were Andy Kindler (rubbish), Brody Stevens (very good), Rob Delaney (pretty good) and, of course, Neil Hamburger (predictably brilliant).

Sorry, I couldn't think of anywhere better to post this and nobody I know in real life cares.

Retinend

I'm 90% sure that you were witnessing deliberately pathetic behavior in the form of a persona. Google "Heidecker stand up" for some more examples.

madhair60

Yeah, he's done that before.  Youtube has some examples.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Retinend on October 19, 2012, 09:26:59 AM
I'm 90% sure that you were witnessing deliberately pathetic behavior in the form of a persona. Google "Heidecker stand up" for some more examples.

I've had a look at some, and it does seem like it all might have been deliberate (though I don't think that Jon Daly guy was in on it as he was fuming outside about it afterwards).  But the set itself was just ... bad.  I've seen comedians do the "deliberately bad" thing (Stewart Lee comes to mind, and, of course, Neil Hamburger), but there were no laughs to be had here and the jokes did come off as if he genuinely thought they'd be funny.  Like I said before, I really would have thought he was an open-micer or just a really bland local comic if I didn't know any better.

Meh, I dunno.  I absolutely hated what I saw of that movie as well, so maybe he's just not for me.

RickyGerbail

Not finding it funny is one thing but not noticing or being uncertain if it is an act is a bit baffling.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: RickyGerbail on October 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM
Not finding it funny is one thing but not noticing or being uncertain if it is an act is a bit baffling.

Well, from what little I knew I assumed at first that it must have been an act because it was so substandard for someone internationally renowned as a good comedian, but it never became funny.  I absolutely love the idea of a comic going on and deliberately bombing, it's what I used to do when I tried stand-up, but if it's not even funny for the wrong reasons then I don't have any time for it.  I can see plenty of people do just that unintentionally whenever I want.  If it was subversive, then I don't know what it was meant to be subverting.  Maybe it works well on TV skits, but it really didn't translate to stand-up if that's the case.

As for the fight ... I don't know, maybe that was deliberate.  It's not exactly Andy Kaufman.

I get the feeling I'm coming off like the kind of idiot I always chastise for not "getting" something.  Please tell me if something brilliant is happening.

hedgehog90

This reminds me of seeing the Anville movie with my brother.
After watching the ENTIRE movie, he had somehow assumed it was a fictional band... like Spinal Tap. This baffled me and I tease him about it still.

If I wasnt aware of who Tim Heidecker was I'm pretty sure I would detect after the first few minutes that it was a character.
After all, he was a support act for Neil Hamburger....
Sounds like he had a great set :)

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: hedgehog90 on October 19, 2012, 09:58:18 AMIf I wasnt aware of who Tim Heidecker was I'm pretty sure I would detect after the first few minutes that it was a character.
After all, he was a support act for Neil Hamburger....
Sounds like he had a great set :)

The clips on YouTube make it more obvious, admittedly.  But ignoring any character he was doing, he still was about as funny as Andy Kindler.

madhair60

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 19, 2012, 09:53:07 AMI get the feeling I'm coming off like the kind of idiot I always chastise for not "getting" something.  Please tell me if something brilliant is happening.

Not at all.  If you don't dig it, you don't dig it.

Thursday

It's fine to not enjoy it, but I just struggle to believe this was a serious fight and not a bit.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Thursday on October 19, 2012, 10:14:01 AM
It's fine to not enjoy it, but I just struggle to believe this was a serious fight and not a bit.

If it was staged, it was either very, very well done or the other comic had no idea.  The other comic was obnoxiously terrible too, maybe that was a character as well (well, it was, but intended to be funny - or maybe not?  I don't know anything anymore, my thumbs are weird).

lazyhour

Did Tim talk about Pepsi cola and spout right-wing views?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: lazyhour on October 19, 2012, 10:43:10 AM
Did Tim talk about Pepsi cola and spout right-wing views?

Nope, don't think so (except for a sarcastic bit about not voting for Obama because of vets or something).  I saw that more in the YouTube clips, though, which were quite different to what I saw tonight.  Tonight's performance made it a lot less obvious that it was intentional, you'll just have to trust me.

Depressed Beyond Tables

what you saw noodle was Tim's act. Nothing to be embarrassed about that you didn't pick up on it. That's his thing. Saw him and Eric in Australia a few weeks back and that was probably a more bizarre show. I must admit i was laughing just reading your description of the show. Would have loved to have seen it

Petey Pate

I envy you Noodle Lizard, that sounds like a great night of comedy.

This is one of the most brilliantly subversive stand up sets I've ever seen.  Shows how little substance there is to a lot of 'political' comedians. Its typical of Tim and Eric style of satire, in that instead of mocking their targets, they embrace their methods and make them more ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6fXzmeDMNY

"Stay the... (checks notebook) Stay the fuck out of my life!"

Noodle Lizard

Well, I'm starting to "get it" more than I did at the time, at least.  It really did seem like a famous but painfully mediocre comedian's set not going so well and then him taking it out violently on someone completely none-the-wiser at the time, but with a little more hindsight I suppose it is sort of funnier that way.  I probably would have enjoyed it more if the audience hadn't been laughing at every punchline seemingly non-ironically (which clearly isn't the case with yer Kaufmans and Hamburgers for instance).

Irrelevancies:
Spoiler alert

All in all it was an okayish night of comedy.  The first few acts (can't remember their names) were universally crap, exactly the same shit as every other local comedian does here (for some reason they all have to interject music into their set and urge the audience to clap and almost always have some sort of gimmick to accompany their bland jokes). 

Andy Kindler really has no right to diss any comedian as he's wont to do since his set was unflinchingly hideous.  I was actually looking forward to seeing him as well, hoping I'd at least get a Sadowitzy blanket of professionally-spewed venom, but nope - just a sad, bitter man trying very hard to convince the audience he's great.

Brody Stevens was a name I'd heard, but never pursued, and he was actually really good.  His set was mostly at least semi-improvised audience interaction, basically asking them where they grew up and then (correctly) recounting obscure facts about those places, all the while repeating that "I GET IT", "I UNDERSTAND".  Hard to put down in words, but it was very funny.

Rob Delaney's one of those guys I can't quite get into but is very good at what he does.  He sort of came out of nowhere for me, it seemed like at some point last year everyone in my Twitter feed started RTing him and then he was famous.  But he's alright.  He actually reminds me of Louis CK, only not quite as naturally funny or perceptive.

It was Neil Hamburger's show (five year anniversary of his residence at the club) and he owned it.  His style has become considerably more pronounced and aggressive, even since I saw him do a short spot a few weeks ago, and I probably laughed more frequently than at any other comedy show in recent memory.  Towards the end he somehow turned the whole thing into a Whitney Houston tribute, which was ... strange, but very, very funny to hear nothing but completely positive punchlines about a celebrity given the general nature of his act.  Maybe he's mellowing.
[close]

RickyGerbail

QuoteHe actually reminds me of Louis CK, only not quite as naturally funny or perceptive.

A Louis CK fan, that puts everything into perspective.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: RickyGerbail on October 19, 2012, 12:01:49 PM
A Louis CK fan, that puts everything into perspective.

Hardly an unwavering one.  I think the last time I was dubbed Noodlehead Lizard[nb]Which I love, by the way - may start a new account just so I can use it[/nb] was because I was having a go at Louis.

Not that it matters, actually.  You fuck.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Tim's album with Davin Wood "Starting From Nowhere" is worth a purchase. It's maybe more subtle than his stand up but equally as sublime. I've come across reviews of it where (obvious fans) were disappointed with the album but admired him for attempting a sincere change of direction - almost pitying his lack of execution on some tracks. It would be unfair to mock them for missing the point by a nautical mile, it's to be expected with his brand of humour. At times clearly 'a character', other times jarringly disconcerting.

RickyGerbail

One time i jizzed on my own face. *smooth jazz*. I LOVE MY DAUGHTERS I CAN'T GO ON THIS TOUR! *juxtaposition of man playing violin while a whino gets undressed*. Something about the integrity of the artist.