Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Old Skool Hardcore/Rave Tune Dumping Ground Thread-a-Go-Go

Started by Puffin Chunks, February 19, 2013, 01:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 21, 2022, 12:37:21 PMIt would have been just as easy to do back then
I'd much, much, much rather just drag around a couple of warp markers on an easy to see waveform, versus fucking around with a load of arcane knobs and buttons on an old Akai.

I used to own an old Roland W30 and after trying to use it I realised one of the reasons why Prodigy Experience is so good.  It's such a fucking pain in the arse to do anything, even a basic copy and paste, so you end up just playing everything in live.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 21, 2022, 12:59:09 PMI'd much, much, much rather just drag around a couple of warp markers on an easy to see waveform, versus fucking around with a load of arcane knobs and buttons on an old Akai.

I used to own an old Roland W30 and after trying to use it I realised one of the reasons why Prodigy Experience is so good.  It's such a fucking pain in the arse to do anything, even a basic copy and paste, so you end up just playing everything in live.

Haha, yeah the W30 was notoriously a pain.

I had an S950 and was used to cutting up breaks, so that vocal sample would have been a doodle.

Having said that the tune was from '91 and people weren't going into such precision back then. The Candi Staton sample isn't out of time, it just doesn't sound right in this context.

monkfromhavana

The Invisible Man wrote some belters in his time, this one was unreleased until 2015 but I have no idea why it wasn't released in 1993.

I wish the last minute and a half had carried on for another few minutes

The Invisible Man - Space

monkfromhavana

A tune I have only ever heard Top Buzz play from 1992, one of the rare French rave records. Bit odd how they didn't really seem to get on the dance music until the mid 90s (Laurent Garnier, Ludovic Navarre excepted).

Snap-Soul ft. Maureen E. - I Thank You Baby

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 22, 2022, 09:35:56 PMone of the rare French rave records. Bit odd how they didn't really seem to get on the dance music until the mid 90s

Yeah, they did have a few though

This was massive at Quadrant Park (and up North) in '91

This one from '93 out of Paris is an underated timeless classic, proper murky MDA tune

Sebastian Cobb

The baffling 'making things fit in time' confuser is 4 Hero's entire clone of Les Fleurs. It's a technically amazing clone from some dnb/techno/hardcore producers really good, but you'd never really choose to listen to it over the original normally. I think they claimed it was that they couldn't drop the original into a set because the time drifted too much, but that was fixable when they made it, so it must've been a flex or passion project.

monkfromhavana

This has got to be one of the worst tunes ever put out on a decent label. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities whatsoever apart from the sci-fi outro. God knows why Ozone put it out....or whoever A&Red for them didn't just say "loop the outro for 5 minutes and stick any beat under it" as it still would have ended up a lot better.

Dr. Dream - Hit Me!

Also, as Lock Up is being re-released here's the first interview I have ever seen with Zero B. Seems like a nice guy.

Quote from: walktothewater on August 18, 2022, 05:18:49 PM

That was such a big tune at the time, cowritten by Jeremy Healy, Boy George & MC Kinky

There's a good Renegade Soundwave dub too

Pity about poor sound quality, but I think this is magic:

Lol. forgot I posted it a few days ago. Anyway it's one I keep coming back to. Love to know where it was filmed.

monkfromhavana

A new one on me, not sure how I'd class it though is it's too hard to be house, too ravey to be techno and too housey to be hardcore. Anyway, I'd heard "Questions" off the same EP which is an OK piece of Blade Runner sampling hardcore, but never checked out the flipside.

I'll probably say it's progressive house, simply due to the fact that it's a steady 3 and half minute build up until the glorious breakdown. Also, it's not the same Interface as on Rising High, it's another Mark Summers alias.

Interface - Take Control

monkfromhavana

Surprised I liked this one so much, really wasn't expecting it. Ignore the title of the video, they got the mixes the wrong way around.

Pet Shop Boys - We All Feel Better In The Dark (Brothers In Rhythm's Ambient Remix)

monkfromhavana

Gob Shine Algorithm

Friday. 4.15.

It still lives.

S E   R I O U S  J  C K I N

https://youtu.be/a4eav7dFvc8

https://youtu.be/3QMiCBJ7yRM

https://youtu.be/2WjY8rbuSeU

S E   R I O U S  J  C K I N

DJ Sillyboi is dead. LONG LIVE DJ SILLYBOI.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Gob Shine Algorithm on January 13, 2023, 04:11:07 PM
Nice one, had forgotten all about this tune.  Although I spent years thinking the sample was lifted from a Doctor Who episode.

monkfromhavana

If this doesn't make you leap about like a madman, I'm not sure what will.

Edge Of Darkness - Hell Raiser (Remix)

monkfromhavana

Top track. What a producer Todd Terry was (and may well be for all I know).

monkfromhavana

Had this stuck in my head all day

Octave One - I Believe

Sonny_Jim

TBH I was expecting
, but then I do love a cheesy piano riff.

Some weird compressor pumping going on during the breakdown, there.

monkfromhavana

Seems everyone's dying off.

MC Fats the other day, and (rather shockingly) Jason Kaye (Top Buzz etc) today.

Petey Pate

It's interesting hearing the mistakes (presumably unintentional) in this era of electronic music. This track includes a sample (from GangStarr's Manifest) which is not matched to the tempo and it sounds completely off. Still prefer this to everything being perfectly on grid and clean sounding though.

stranger

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 11, 2023, 06:48:17 PMSeems everyone's dying off.

MC Fats the other day, and (rather shockingly) Jason Kaye (Top Buzz etc) today.

Yeah sad news. MC Fats had health problems for years so it wasn't unexpected, but I was genuinely shocked to hear about Jason Kaye. Here's a classic from the first Fantazia album:

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 20, 2023, 01:56:04 PMIt's interesting hearing the mistakes (presumably unintentional) in this era of electronic music. Still prefer this to everything being perfectly on grid and clean sounding though.

Yeah, me too - I love all the sloppiness, bad production, low quality and randomn arrangements of that era. On the grid leaves me cold.