Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Album finds on a recent and successful trip down south to my old digging grounds.

Compilation of cover versions pressed in Hong Kong in the early 80's, pretty bizarre that Angus Young, Alex Lifeson etc are featured on the cover(!?) but it features a good version of Wordy Rappinghood

Best find of the week was a beautiful original copy of the sleeve for Johnny Cash's UK debut album, I have looked for years since finding a minty disc
in a taped up sleeve that I could never repair at a car boot sale in the early 00's, and there sitting in a rack of a charity shop was just the sleeve
with no disc for this same album, I'd say this was pretty much fate after about 15 years of waiting.

Finding any old Blue Note albums out in the wild is hard and I was quite excited to pick this up cheap but it turns out to not be a 3 figure mega rare pressing but it's actually still quite nice and it was only £2.

In the same box was this UK pressing of a double album by the prog jazz trumpeter live in San Francisco.

The cover of this live Joy Division album was damaged but the 2 x blue discs are fine.

I found one of these years ago and it's a keeper but this copy was in even better condition so it's a swapper.

Surprising find of the week was this album of music from Fiji which included Bula Rock a fine example of Fijian Rock 'n' Roll

kalowski

The charity shops of Altrincham have nothing like this. Full of easy listening crap.

Head Gardener

Northampton always comes up trumps (after 2 months away)

famethrowa

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 20, 2022, 07:46:30 PM

Bloody HELL! When I saw Hey Jude on the tracklist, I expected a ballad cover, something like Maceo's Music Machine, but it sounds straight out of Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Also it's a bit funny having a jazz artist do "Rock Odyssey". "He wrote this!"

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on July 20, 2022, 08:24:19 PMThe charity shops of Altrincham have nothing like this. Full of easy listening crap.
I decided to see if things were different today but no. Shops full of Manilow, Jim Reeves and Richard Clayderman.
Local record shop had an original 1979 Quadrophenia though!!

Head Gardener

I had to get up damn early for these car boot finds this week

Columbian promo album which came in a poly sealed sleeve, I guess this was only available through Ley supermarkets,
it features a few tracks by Columbian band Los Secretos alongside jazzers like Eddie Palmieri Herbie Mann & also Doobie Brothers.

Obscure Scottish folk rears it's head as usual

Nice stickered 12" featuring Aphex Twin/Orbital remixes

Bizarrely this pair of albums were in the same £1 box as the MBM 12"

The only single released by the Irish rockers from 1978 nicely signed by them all on the rear.

and some random sevens that I picked up as they looked interesting and were only 50p.

Head Gardener

7" finds in fields of yellowed Scottish grass

Bizarrely there are 2 bands with the same name, one is a folk trio but this is the other lot who are more rocky.

Quite a few football records unsurprisingly turning up at Scotland's largest car boot sale over the weekend including several singles I'd not come across before.

The same imaginatively titled group only issued only one other 7" which was a tribute song to the great player/manager Ally MacLeod.

Their albums bother most charity shop bins up here, but this 7" is pretty scarce and celebrates their 1974 WC campaign.

This single is pretty much taking the piss.

...and very nice the Hebridean island capital is too.

When I first saw this I thought it might be reggae, but it turns out to be groovy if slightly sleazy, late glam rocker.

This 3 track EP by various artists actually was reggae.

2 singles of cheesy organ sounds

Head Gardener

As well as the usual Scottish records I picked up locally I did have some nice finds + on a recent trip down south. Most were from charity shops but I met a guy in one who said he had 1000's of 7"s at his house and he invited me round to have a look, he turned out to be a bit of a dealer but his knowledge was strictly Northern Soul. He showed me boxes upon boxes of rare stuff but was just happy to show them off and not part with any of them, but it was an interesting visit.

I see a lot of Sir Jimmy Shand (The King of the accordian) 78's in the bins round my way, but this one caught my eye as he's listed as James and it turns out to be only his 2nd ever release from 1940, it must be rare ha!

Another 78, this one featuring The Godfather of the accordian made me feel good, owww! and indeed hoots!

I was pleased to find what is probably my oldest record bag for 50p in a box of 78's, Reg signed to Rex in 1935.

Unusual early 80's Irish Folk 7" in support of Rangers FC.

The rarest single I found last week was in a box at a car boot labelled "Scots Records". This was a private pressing of an acetate from 1968 by a school folk trio in a lovely handmade sleeve.

odds & ends from the charity shop bins

I was chuffed to find this one, a 7" promo by The Afflicted Man from 1979

Original 12" with the transfer which gives me an unfortunate to use or keep unused dilemma.

In the same box as Altered Images 12" was this brilliant 10" Virgin sampler.

I paid a tenner for this, I've got the single but never had the long player before and the vinyl was such nice condition.

Big Band Bond!

Head Gardener

I found some great 78 sleeves from old Dundee record shops today, they were only 50p each and there were hundreds in plain sleeves so I picked the ones I liked best.

Head Gardener

78's you never knew by modern artists

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Head Gardener on August 07, 2022, 06:45:16 PM

When I first saw this I thought it might be reggae, but it turns out to be groovy if slightly sleazy, late glam rocker.

The B side to

??

Head Gardener

7" & 6" singles finds this weekend, just before the rains came.

UK issue of the French childrens TV series from the late 60's, the Scottish band took their name from it but changed the e to a.

A 1972 EP of tunes from New Britain Island, east of Papua New Guinea.

Scottish rockers who only released one single and a live album in their short lived lifetime.

This Scot also only released one single too though he did win several Boxing Championship belts.

I found a whole bumch of kids records which included curious titles like Eavesdropping and  Tripping but I'm gonna guess not on LSD.

A couple of odd flexis including a 6" Cliff freebie from Serenade Books magazine from 1960.

Late 70's Power Pop band who only released a handful of singles including one on Chiswick.

One of Roy's very best tunes, a John Peel fave.

Scarce release by the Peterborough Panters Speedway team in 1974.
available as a free download here:  http://www.peterborough-speedway.com/download.php?view.7

Rich Uncle Skeleton

bloody disaster, I got an ebay notification for a record I'd been wanting for a while (Big Feet by The Stonehenge Men) and it turns i'd set the alert on the search for completed/sold items that i'd done to get an idea of how often it's for sale and how much for. my own fault but still, 3 months waiting for something to pop up and the sudden shift from whoa shit finally let's grab this to crushing disappointment was something else. TO CONCLUDE, if anyone ever sees a copy for not silly money and happens to remember this post, let me know?!

kalowski

Found a copy of Super Furries Love Kraft for attainable money. It was cheaper to buy from a US seller, with postage and import tax, than the usual £80-£100 price tag on Discogs or eBay.
As long as it arrives in the next few weeks that is.

Head Gardener

7" finds on a recent dig in Northampton, from 3 x car boots + 8 x charity shops

Anything on Marmalade is interesting and this one singing the praises of pirate radio stations Big L and Caroline is well groovy man!

Also on a sea tip is this cover version of the Sutherland Brothers song which I prefer to Rods' version.

The classic Coke jingle has been re-issued in many versions but it's the B side that makes this disc worth keeping.

Promo flexi for Pepsi featuring that jingle multiple times.

I was surprised to hear this version of the well known theme, this is much more upbeat than the original.

From the same year as the Steptoe & Son single is this very early Ska release by the splendidly named Ernie Faulkner & The Planets.

Christmas Cambridge Childrens Hospice charity single by oddly named Jailbreakers who have kindly signed the label.

Scottish synth tune featuring Craig Ferguson under the pseudonym Adam Eternal on drums, the label is signed by bassist Paul McMahon .

Issued with Revell modelling kits, most likely with one of their rockets and featuring the sounds of spacemen on the moon.

Nicest find was this single by Arthur Lee's Love with it's beautiful graphic logo, not sure about that writing credit though.

lipsink

Didn't want to start a new thread but can anyone recommend a good record player for listening to at home?
Something between £100 and £200.

My partner and I bought this HMV exclusive turntable: https://hmv.com/store/technology/turntables/jam-sound-stream-wood-bluetooth-turntable-(hmv-exc

It sounds good enough (we'd probably get speakers separately later when we can afford it) but the arm skates all over the place on the records (most of our records including new ones). My partner seems to think it's the arm not being heavy enough and we need to be able to adjust it?

Hope it's okay to post this!

Malcy

Quote from: lipsink on October 10, 2022, 03:59:43 PMDidn't want to start a new thread but can anyone recommend a good record player for listening to at home?

My partner and I bought this HMV exclusive turntable: https://hmv.com/store/technology/turntables/jam-sound-stream-wood-bluetooth-turntable-(hmv-exc

It sounds good enough (we'd probably get speakers separately later when we can afford it) but the arm skates all over the place on the records (most of our records including new ones). My partner seems to think it's the arm not being heavy enough and we need to be able to adjust it?

I asked this a while back if you want to read that thread. I ended up getting a Sony one off eBay for £30 and it's still going strong but disaster after disaster has meant I have had barely any use of it for months and if I can get a few quid together I'll be looking at this thread again as well.

Everything i plug it into has broken. At the point now of doing that or giving up and selling my collection.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lipsink on October 10, 2022, 03:59:43 PMDidn't want to start a new thread but can anyone recommend a good record player for listening to at home?

If you're looking at that kind of price for a standalone turntable, you're going to struggle to get anything decent. You may as well get an old 2nd hand dansette as at least the speakers will have a bit of oomph to them, or look on Facebook Marketplace for a load of cheap separates so you can gradually upgrade. Regaring the arm, are you sure it's set up correctly? Can you move the heavy bit at the back end of the tonearm? If not, you can always stick 2p on top of the needle. Not particularly healthy for the needle or vinyl but not much else you can do at this budget.

lipsink

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 10, 2022, 09:07:57 PMIf you're looking at that kind of price for a standalone turntable, you're going to struggle to get anything decent. You may as well get an old 2nd hand dansette as at least the speakers will have a bit of oomph to them, or look on Facebook Marketplace for a load of cheap separates so you can gradually upgrade. Regaring the arm, are you sure it's set up correctly? Can you move the heavy bit at the back end of the tonearm? If not, you can always stick 2p on top of the needle. Not particularly healthy for the needle or vinyl but not much else you can do at this budget.

Yeah, we've tried the 2p thing and checked the arm but it doesn't seem to make a dofference. We had record players in the past where the arm doesn't do this and spent a lot less on those ones. We only really need it for listening to in the flat. We don't need like crazy good speakers or anything. (We can always buy good speakers separately if we need a better sound and we can even connect it to the Alexa for the time being) Do you still reckon we'd need to spend over £200, aye? We could probably go to 300 maybe.

Malcy

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lipsink on October 11, 2022, 08:54:53 AMYeah, we've tried the 2p thing and checked the arm but it doesn't seem to make a dofference. We had record players in the past where the arm doesn't do this and spent a lot less on those ones. We only really need it for listening to in the flat. We don't need like crazy good speakers or anything. (We can always buy good speakers separately if we need a better sound and we can even connect it to the Alexa for the time being) Do you still reckon we'd need to spend over £200, aye? We could probably go to 300 maybe.

I wouldn't spend any significant amount of money on a standalone turntable although you may be better off starting a dedicated thread or adding to this one. I think most would agree that getting a second hand amp, speakers and turntable would be your best bet.

lipsink

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 11, 2022, 11:27:35 AMI wouldn't spend any significant amount of money on a standalone turntable although you may be better off starting a dedicated thread or adding to this one. I think most would agree that getting a second hand amp, speakers and turntable would be your best bet.

Ah, thanks!

lipsink

Head Gardener

Some of the nice albums and singles that have found their way into my room in the last few weeks, including the new Bjork on blue vinyl but I bought that new,
three or four of these I picked up just for the sleeves and a few were outstanding finds considering their possible value.

I knew nothing of this album but the sleeve intrigued me, I Googled his name and it turns out he was a Scottish comedian who died tragically, the sketches on it are very Un-PC.

I can't help feeling I already have this or I've seen it before somewhere, the Moog sounds on it are pretty good though and he's scribbled on the back, I assume it's him!

I was really pleased to find this at a car boot for a quid, the guy had other soundtracks from more popular films too and all in near mint condition.

On a personal level I was so pleased to find this, again I never knew it existed and it wouldn't excite most collectors but this photo on the front was taken in my grandparents front yard! I really couldn't believe it when I found it as it features Kirkstile Inn on the right and Loweswater Church (where both my grandparents are buried) in the middle, the sleeve is now framed in my studio. Below are the lyrics to one of the tracks.

Another sleeve I was pleased to find but probably won't frame was this Italian compilation from 1970 with quite delightful artwork.

One of a number of kids records i have picked up recently, this one from the early 70's comes in a great tri-fold sleeve with party recipies.

I thought this was a strange name for a story - soup from a stone, who knew?!

The Beatles in a P&P style, as bad as the puppets on the front of the sleeve really.

An unbelievable 50p find at Errol (Scotland's largest car boot) I picked this up the same week as the Hammy & The Hamsters disc, newspaper article about that below.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/past-times/3749863/hammy-and-the-hamsters/?fbclid

Malcy

Phantasm for a quid is a great find!

Head Gardener

this is my grandparents in their yard where the sleeve for the Canny Cumberland album above was photographed

Head Gardener

I have picked up all sorta interesting singles and albums in the last few weeks, I visited my old digging grounds down south and found some gold in them thar shops. The car boots are about dried up for the year but the auctions and charity shops still deliver the goods. The rarest album I found was an original Jackson C. Frank on UK Columbia but most of these singles came from the Groovy Record Fayre II which was in North London at the end of October. Many familiar faces came along including Jonny Trunk, DJ Food, Thurston Moore and Stewart Lee, there was a free disco in the evening with Jarvis Cocker on decks but I was there early to dig deep, will post up the albums soon.

One stall turned up some great cheeky 7"s at £2 a pop, I picked up about 20 of them from a lovely lady's stall, including these ones.

This was probably the oddest of the lot, a 1985 split single issued on Rebound Records between Wanda and Fifi, but the sleeve has been doctored as a 'Greetagram'
for a chap called Brian Pennington (bi bi Brian) added to the front and it also includes a specially typed poem inside the gate-fold, I bet Brian was delighted!

On a far less smutty tip, this record celebrates the joys of the city of Leicester, however the singer blotted his cv with his next 7", a pro Tory record titled Maggie Will Always Be Around

A pair of 7"s of only 3 ever released by this middle aged chap, who needed his surname explained on the sleeve (bless) however his backing band were the excellently named The Venatics.

The debut single by another old chap who was to become a familiar face on British TV in the 70's/80's.

I don't need this to teach me to say the longest place name in Wales, I learned it from a very early age in fact I even speak a bit of Welsh - true!

I picked up a load of these kids records a month or so back but a kind stall holder kindly gave me the wee bag that they would have originally came in for free, some folks are very kind.

The debut release from the man who will forever be the definitive TV Jesus, for me at anyway.

No prizes for guessing who this promo is for, I wonder if they still care as much as they claim?

Just one of the joys of travelling on a Trident plane in the 60's would have been given this free gift as you got off.

I was really pleased to find this sole single by the American singer who was so nearly nearly a star, he sadly died just a day or so before David Bowie.

Brundle-Fly

Great finds at Trunks Groovy Fayre, Headers. I spent a bloody fortune there.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 03, 2022, 07:44:51 PMGreat finds at Trunks Groovy Fayre, Headers. I spent a bloody fortune there.

cheers, yeah I spent way too much as well, but came away with great Syd Barrett and assorted goodies so can't complain

Jim_MacLaine

Did you check out Lawrence's stall. All his records looked notated.