Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,174
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestHill

Saw a WIP of Stewart Lee's Snowflake/ Tornado and he absolutely tore it down. Better than ever. It felt like he was really having fun with it.

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PMespecially concerning one joke about karma which was really weak, and became unfunnier each time he repeated it.

That sounds pretty appealing to me tbh. Will seek him out.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PMGoose

I like Parrot.

DrGreggles

The new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
It's essentially an expanded version of the original show, but done as a tongue-in-cheek musical.
[close]

Seems that it's being done with an eye on touring it, or certainly doing a residency somewhere.
The current run is at at the New Diorama Theatre (which I hadn't been to before and it's very nice) until 23rd December.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 28, 2021, 11:58:10 AMThe new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
It's essentially an expanded version of the original show, but done as a tongue-in-cheek musical.
[close]

Seems that it's being done with an eye on touring it, or certainly doing a residency somewhere.
The current run is at at the New Diorama Theatre (which I hadn't been to before and it's very nice) until 23rd December.

Really glad you liked it, I've got tickets for next weekend and can't wait. Especially after today:

David McSavage - An Irish comedian I'd not heard of before, I did a brief search and saw this post:

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 25, 2013, 04:43:09 PMI doubt most of CAB even know who this guy is but the first time I ever saw him he was busking in Temple Bar in Dublin and basically abusing passers by with his comedy/being a wanker. I remember looking over and thinking he was a total cunt for putting people on the spot like that, he was really giving some people a hard time. The next time I saw him was on the Late Late Show where he did some bad comedy about the English (traditionally, a lot of Irish comedian's material has been been based on hating the hun). I thought it was rubbish.

Then a few years ago I was watching something he had come up with, a sketch show (again based on the English) called The Savage Eye and I was blown away by how good it was. Completely obsessed with Ireland and its relationship to England but top notch stuff all the same. I could never have guessed that this apparent hack had this quality show in him but you live and learn.

So thought I'd give him a go. I truly wish I hadn't, it was a miserable hour of lazy, trite material which included jokes about priests and young boys, how ugly fifty five year old women are, and how he did one gig at Angel Comedy, called someone who worked there a ponce who then burst in to tears, and how he'll now never return there. There was a chunk of material about how much he hates woke people and Guardian readers, surrounded by lacky, hacky shit which would have been embarrassingly bad thirty years ago, all of which added up to one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 28, 2021, 11:58:10 AMThe new Police Cops show is fantastic.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Just back from this now, and I absolutely loved it, it's in my top 5 comedy shows that I've ever seen with ease, and I'd recommend it to everyone, it's just gorgeously silly and daft fun and it made me laugh a ridiculous amount. Shall write a bit more when I'm sober tomorrow, but I really hope it's filmed so that I can see it again at some point.

CaledonianGonzo

Saw that S. Lee that they have now warming up what I assume was the Snowflake half of Snowflake / Tornado last night. 

Saw the Tornado half 18 months back so no idea whether this is a natural evolution of Snowflake or an entirely new hour - either way it was just so very fucking funny.  50% pedantry directed at Tony Parsons, 50% incoherent R'lyehian invocation of the Great Old Ones.

By the end of it even the man himself seemed momentarily deeply moved to be back onstage at The Stand.

Small Man Big Horse

Saw Russell Hicks do a work in progress at Top Secret in Covent Garden today, I first saw him about eight years ago and was really impressed, and he's still pretty decent now. It's a work in progress so it's probably a bit unfair to judge too much, but the parts which were improvised seemed a lot funnier than his prepared material, but it was still fairly strong, a kind of 3.75/5 rating which given the state of stand up and how far away from the Fringe is more than I expected, and hopefully the finished show will be a really good one.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm making an effort this year to get to my local comedy club - Happy Mondays at the Amersham Arms (Southeast London) more often. Last week the headliner was posh boy Tom Houghton who is a great performer but his set was amusingly scuppered by a large contingent of Irish folks in the audience who had come to see Pearse Egan. Houghton's father was a Brigade Commander in Belfast and some of the set was about living in the Garrison - oof. Egan was also terrific though a bit all over the place.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 14, 2022, 03:28:02 PMI'm making an effort this year to get to my local comedy club - Happy Mondays at the Amersham Arms (Southeast London) more often. Last week the headliner was posh boy Tom Houghton who is a great performer but his set was amusingly scuppered by a large contingent of Irish folks in the audience who had come to see Pearse Egan. Houghton's father was a Brigade Commander in Belfast and some of the set was about living in the Garrison - oof. Egan was also terrific though a bit all over the place.

That in New Cross? Not been there in 15+ years - glad to hear it's still open.

I've been toying with going (on my own) to the local comedy night where I am. It's something like £10 for a night of acts, none I've never heard of. Same place I've seen Mark Thomas, Lucy Porter and someone else I can't remember. Keep thinking I should go and get out more, possibly even meet someone to talk to in the flesh. Even if it only provides me with something to post here.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: The Ombudsman on February 14, 2022, 03:40:18 PMThat in New Cross? Not been there in 15+ years - glad to hear it's still open.

I've been toying with going (on my own) to the local comedy night where I am. It's something like £10 for a night of acts, none I've never heard of. Same place I've seen Mark Thomas, Lucy Porter and someone else I can't remember. Keep thinking I should go and get out more, possibly even meet someone to talk to in the flesh. Even if it only provides me with something to post here.

New Cross and still going strong. I think it's usually new material including the occasional secret special famous person. £7 for 5 or 6 sets and a compere.

up_the_hampipe

Fin Taylor's new special is on YouTube. I saw "So My Wife..." on tour and it's a really funny show. He's one of the best on the circuit right now:

Small Man Big Horse

Shelf - Hair (WIP, The Bill Murray, Angel) - Superb musical comedy duo where two female friends talk (and one sings!) about their friendship. but also gender identity, sexuality, and the ways they've been treated by men and women over the years. They had a few qualms that this still needed work but I thought it was extremely strong, and they're definitely an act I look forward to seeing again (and again!) in the future.

Small Man Big Horse

Athena Kugblenu - Work In Progress - This was clearly an early version of her next show, and apparently only the third time she'd performed it, but it's already in great shape as she discussed class and race, how she thought she'd been brought up in a middle class way but when she reflects now it was clearly working class, and also how she's definitely middle class now and how that affects how she brings up her own kids. It's a very thoughtful show that was also strong on laughs, a few bits tailed off without an ending but for a Work In Progress show it impressed me a good deal. 3.75

Rob Newman - Work In Progress - A very polished WIP from Newman saw him tackle on a number of disparate themes, from Julius Caesar introducing a ban on vehicles in ancient Rome to the noise you make when Morrissey gives an interview, along with how ancient man used to communicate, the manner in which our brain waves act in similar ways, and a song about the various time periods. All of which might sound a little lofty but Newman often uses these fascinating ideas to deliver daft puns or gags, and this was extremely funny throughout. 4.25/5

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 26, 2022, 09:09:12 PMAthena Kugblenu - Work In Progress - This was clearly an early version of her next show, and apparently only the third time she'd performed it, but it's already in great shape as she discussed class and race, how she thought she'd been brought up in a middle class way but when she reflects now it was clearly working class, and also how she's definitely middle class now and how that affects how she brings up her own kids. It's a very thoughtful show that was also strong on laughs, a few bits tailed off without an ending but for a Work In Progress show it impressed me a good deal. 3.75

Rob Newman - Work In Progress - A very polished WIP from Newman saw him tackle on a number of disparate themes, from Julius Caesar introducing a ban on vehicles in ancient Rome to the noise you make when Morrissey gives an interview, along with how ancient man used to communicate, the manner in which our brain waves act in similar ways, and a song about the various time periods. All of which might sound a little lofty but Newman often uses these fascinating ideas to deliver daft puns or gags, and this was extremely funny throughout. 4.25/5

At 2 Northdown tonight? I was there too for Rob Newman. I wouldn't describe it as polished myself but there were brilliant bits amongst the chaos. Glad to finally make it to this venue after seeing so many good gigs advertised there.

Then I tried to go to Up the Creek after but it turns out on Saturdays they get sold out well in advance.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 26, 2022, 09:09:12 PMRob Newman - Work In Progress - A very polished WIP from Newman saw him tackle on a number of disparate themes, from Julius Caesar introducing a ban on vehicles in ancient Rome to the noise you make when Morrissey gives an interview, along with how ancient man used to communicate, the manner in which our brain waves act in similar ways, and a song about the various time periods. All of which might sound a little lofty but Newman often uses these fascinating ideas to deliver daft puns or gags, and this was extremely funny throughout. 4.25/5

I assume this was the same show Rob was developing in early 2020, which was delayed for [reasons].
It was very rough at the time, but obviously had loads of good bits.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 26, 2022, 10:24:22 PMAt 2 Northdown tonight? I was there too for Rob Newman. I wouldn't describe it as polished myself but there were brilliant bits amongst the chaos. Glad to finally make it to this venue after seeing so many good gigs advertised there.

Then I tried to go to Up the Creek after but it turns out on Saturdays they get sold out well in advance.

I guess I meant polished when compared to a lot of other work in progress gigs I've seen in the last six months or so, there's been a few where the comedian has read it from a print out the whole time, or where a long segment hasn't had an ending, or it's even just been someone playing around with ideas without having actually made them funny, whereas compared to that this felt not that far away from being the finished show, though I'm sure he'll do a lot more to it before it is such a thing.

edwardfog

A brief Leicester Feicestival report from the 19th/20th follows. I think all of these were WIP and a bunch were being performed for the first time ever so your mileage may vary significantly

Andy Barr - An Audience With Alastair Bridge
An hour long character piece with a very funny conceit and staging choices. Some of the written stuff in the middle lost a bit of momentum but overall very good

Kat Bond - Pleaser
Not strong. Lots of material about being a people pleaser which seemed v old hat to me

Eleanor Morton - Schiehallion
Also not amazing but it had the promise of a good structure and her freestyle rapping party trick was genuinely incredibly impressive

Peter Brush - The Ant That Was Carrying a Pickled Onion
Pretty trad setup punchline stuff. Not bad but not for me

Joz Norris - Blink
Really strong and inventive while still with a ramshackle edge. He reaps the rewards in the more polished parts. Definitely the best thing I've seen from him and I always like his shows

Edy Hurst - Edy Hurst's Comedy Version of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of H.G. Wells' Literary Version of the War of the Worlds (Via Orson Welle's Radio Version and Steven Spielberg's Film Version)
Lots of arts and crafty stuff going on in this one which I enjoyed. I wish I had found it funnier but it feels like the jokes are not really there.

Weirdos - The Envelopes
I don't know if they'll do this again but you should definitely go if they do. Raucous panto vibes, huge fun.

Michael Brunstrom - Missing
I find him and his stage presence incredibly intriguing for some reason. Wish I'd seen his earlier shows. This one is interesting too, maybe a bit theatrical and maudlin at times, better when it's being silly. Interesting guy though

Matthew Highton - We Are What We Pretend to Be
He doesn't really find a new spin to put on the dead dad show imo. The best bits were the videos taken from his twitter.

Benjamin Albrough - Absolute Monopoly
Now this was really promising. An attempt to design a new version of Monopoly in an hour. The bits where we actually had to play the game were kind of dull, but the jokes and the performance were top notch. Really funny stuff.

Sam Nicoresti - Cancel Anti Wokeflake Snow Culture
Going out on a high with probably the best show I saw all weekend. Instant Nicoresti fan right here.

Unfortunately had to sacrifice my booking for Charlie Vero-Martin but I heard she was great

Bonus
Catherine Cohen - Work in Progress
I'm almost resentful at this stage because perhaps a little humility wouldn't go amiss, but my god she's good. Even feeling slightly resistant to the atmosphere of the room I was completely overpowered by the talent and from laughing non-stop for an hour. Can't wait to see her again

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: edwardfog on February 28, 2022, 11:19:35 AMCatherine Cohen - Work in Progress
I'm almost resentful at this stage because perhaps a little humility wouldn't go amiss, but my god she's good. Even feeling slightly resistant to the atmosphere of the room I was completely overpowered by the talent and from laughing non-stop for an hour. Can't wait to see her again

I went to this very unsure and left feeling the same way you did. Not a huge fan of the songs (even those had a few laughs though), but she was relentlessly funny during the stand-up sections.

edwardfog

Yeah the songs were probably my least favourite bits, but they'd be the highlight in most other shows, and tbh I appreciated the breather. I think a full hour of stand up from her would have been more than I could take

edwardfog

Oh and Bobby Mair's 2.0 version of Cockroach at Top Secret. The audience was in a coma for this show but I kind of sympathised. It's not the most exciting material and he delivers it all in a very slow stage whisper

I don't post in this thread because my live comedy attendance is now limited to a couple of nights a year plus Machynlleth, but thanks to everyone who contributes. It helps me find new people to check out, whether that's online or on the rare occasion I make it to a show. Ta!

DrGreggles

Quote from: edwardfog on February 28, 2022, 11:19:35 AMSam Nicoresti - Cancel Anti Wokeflake Snow Culture
Going out on a high with probably the best show I saw all weekend. Instant Nicoresti fan right here.

Saw him at the last (proper) Edinburgh Fringe.
Tremendous.

edwardfog

Some more WIPs last night at the Bill Murray:

Harry Hill - Pedigree Fun
Absolutely phenomenal. Blew me away. I like him on TV obvs and I've seen some 5 min slots in big venues that didn't really click with me, but this was on another level, kind of like Sam Campbell or Tony Law with a mainstream sheen. I wonder if it's a range thing - there was so much funny facial stuff you could pick up in a small room which would be lost in a theatre. This was so much better than I was expecting

Ray Badran - Work in Progress
Felt supremely low effort and undercooked after Harry Hill. A few observations about going to Tescos which went over okay with the small crowd. Hate to agree with Steve Bennett but almost every routine leaves you feeling like "is that it?"

Alasdair Beckett-King - Nevermore
Really good stuff: tightly-written, surprising and coming from a unique viewpoint. Much smarter and more distinctive than his viral videos

SweetPomPom

Chloe Petts and Ed Gamble.

Ed surprisingly has got himself a surprisingly aggressive full volume delivery since we last saw him but packed tons of material onto a pretty tight, slick tour set (Electric).
Didn't mention taskmaster, did do some marriage stuff but it worked.

Chloe Petts, a decent 20-30 mins to a full theatre and went over well - got some genuine big laughs.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on March 07, 2022, 02:22:58 PMSome more WIPs last night at the Bill Murray:

Harry Hill - Pedigree Fun
Absolutely phenomenal. Blew me away. I like him on TV obvs and I've seen some 5 min slots in big venues that didn't really click with me, but this was on another level, kind of like Sam Campbell or Tony Law with a mainstream sheen. I wonder if it's a range thing - there was so much funny facial stuff you could pick up in a small room which would be lost in a theatre. This was so much better than I was expecting

Ray Badran - Work in Progress
Felt supremely low effort and undercooked after Harry Hill. A few observations about going to Tescos which went over okay with the small crowd. Hate to agree with Steve Bennett but almost every routine leaves you feeling like "is that it?"

Alasdair Beckett-King - Nevermore
Really good stuff: tightly-written, surprising and coming from a unique viewpoint. Much smarter and more distinctive than his viral videos

Glad you enjoyed Hill and Beckett-King, I almost went along to those shows but ended up cat sitting for a friend instead. I'll definitely try and get tickets for any future shows they do though, especially if it's at a venue as small and as intimate as The Bill Murray is.

edwardfog

Hill has a bunch of WIPs coming up at Moth Club which I imagine will have a similar vibe

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on March 12, 2022, 11:29:41 PMHill has a bunch of WIPs coming up at Moth Club which I imagine will have a similar vibe

Oh cool, I like the Moth Club (it was where I was lucky enough to see Brett Gelman do a set on a mixed bill a few years back) so will definitely try and make it tot one.

edwardfog

Some more WIP reports:

Red Richardson - Shots Fired
I like Red Richardson. He's a good bellicose curmudgeon type and he has a way with words. I think you probably need a lot of energy and confidence to win over the 6pm slot at Top Secret, and he's not really that kind of performer, but the material is solid and he definitely worked it better than Bobby Mair managed

Helen Bauer - Madam Good Tit
Huge energy at the Bill Murray for this one which she hyped up and up and up. She's a very polished, loud, intense performer. The material is maybe a little repetitive at this stage in terms of coming back to the "me hungry" stuff but it'll end up a very crowd-pleasing show, particularly for the bawdy brassy girl in your life

Olga Koch - Just Friends
A really funny, gossipy show that seems to benefit from the frivolity of the subject matter. Her previous shows about her unusual background have been interesting but less hilarious. This one's just about going out and kissin' people and it works like a charm.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: edwardfog on March 15, 2022, 09:59:03 AMSome more WIP reports:

Helen Bauer - Madam Good Tit
Huge energy at the Bill Murray for this one which she hyped up and up and up. She's a very polished, loud, intense performer. The material is maybe a little repetitive at this stage in terms of coming back to the "me hungry" stuff but it'll end up a very crowd-pleasing show, particularly for the bawdy brassy girl in your life

Caught a WIP of this at the Monkey Barrel last month and really enjoyed it. As you note it's pretty raucous and maybe not one for the dark poets or the anti-comedy fans, but it went over very well in the room.

lauraxsynthesis

2 gigs back to back last Saturday - Bridget Christie in the massive Royal Festival Hall doing a menopause-themed show that bodes well for her new tv series. A few enthusiastic women in the audience shouted things out at various points and she included their input well in the show. A confident performance and funniest I've seen from her.

then I tore up the road on my bicycle to see Joz Norris's show after seeing recommendations for it. I'd not heard of him before. It was enjoyable. Still being worked out apparently. I can't say I was blown away by it but maybe when it's all finalised. It was the second Soho Theatre show in a row I've seen where the audience was asked to leave in an unusual way. Won't spoil it.