Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird and wonderful compilations and mixtapes

Started by alan nagsworth, January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

The "Killed By Death" comps reminded me of:

Noise Kills Punk Dead

Noise / sound collage / avant / miscellaneous comp, almost all tracks lasting not much more than a minute. (Was going to embed an image of the cover but can't do that for some reason)

Famous Mortimer

I was going to mention "Music To Watch Girls Cry", as well. I listened to a lot of Votel's comps, and although there are lulls in them, they're pretty fascinating and listenable things.

JesusAndYourBush

Does anyone remember people using the word "mixtape" in the 80's or is it something that's been retconned.
I used cassettes all through the 80's and 90's but I'd never heard of the word "mixtape" until I started encountering it on the internet in the early 2000's.  And at first I assumed people were talking about DJ mixes where one song had been slickly segued into the next... but no... they were just talking about tapes with songs on - basically any tape of songs that is composed of different artists is a "mixtape".  We just used to call them tapes. "Here's a tape I made for you", "I've made a few tapes for the car", etc...

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on February 01, 2020, 02:37:02 AM
Does anyone remember people using the word "mixtape" in the 80's or is it something that's been retconned.
I used cassettes all through the 80's and 90's but I'd never heard of the word "mixtape" until I started encountering it on the internet in the early 2000's.  And at first I assumed people were talking about DJ mixes where one song had been slickly segued into the next... but no... they were just talking about tapes with songs on - basically any tape of songs that is composed of different artists is a "mixtape".  We just used to call them tapes. "Here's a tape I made for you", "I've made a few tapes for the car", etc...

Yeah we just called them compilations or, as you say, tapes. Mixtape has a suspiciously American twang to it.

Captain Crunch

Not sure if tribute albums count but I'm currently living for this Doors album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bf3jHNoJw

Usual mix of traditional, playful, iffy and better than the original, well worth a listen.   

I also picked up the Stones psych tribute album and the Led Zeppelin stoner one but those will have to wait. 

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 01, 2020, 06:59:59 AM
Yeah we just called them compilations or, as you say, tapes. Mixtape has a suspiciously American twang to it.

In the 90s I only heard the term mixtape being used to describe hip-hop compilations that a DJ had mixed, not just any old compilation on a cassette.

the

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 01, 2020, 06:59:59 AMYeah we just called them compilations or, as you say, tapes. Mixtape has a suspiciously American twang to it.

You may like to note that there's an episode of Friends from 2000 in which Chandler refers to a compilation tape he's made as a mixtape.

Gregory Torso

Sidereal Rest. Billed as a "sleep vehicle" with tracks split into areas of sleep: theta / spindles / delta. God help you if you fell asleep though listening to this excellent compilation of mad bastards.

Fantastic comp with some big names - Thinking Fellers, Caroliner, The Extra Glenns (Mountain Goats fans delight), Sun City Girls - and some unknown to me at the time and later loved - Paste, Thee Crusaders, US Saucer, Pork Queen.

Scratch records in the area. Trackshun represent,

I thought Climax Golden Twins were on this, but apparently not?

Here's the whole thing on Youtube if you're someone who listens to music in that way.

Love BC Scar's Waterskiing splish splash home tape, Loren Mazzacane Connors shattering your heart as per usual with his guitar tones, Caroliner owning your soul forever with a few tossed off banjo notes and Staked Plain, an underrated found sound bricked up basement band that had a great record that no one gave a fuck about then and sure as shit couldn't give a fuck about now. Holla.

Crabwalk

Finders Keepers are offering 30% off of everything in their online store with the code FKR30. I'm guessing they're in trouble, like everyone else. Knock yourselves out with their weird and wonderful shit.

https://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/shop/

purlieu

Forgot to mention Nmesh's four hour video game music mix Welcome to Warp Zone, which is bloody fantastic.
https://nmesh.bandcamp.com/album/welcome-to-warp-zone-4-hour-vgm-mix

Sebastian Cobb

Crabwalk

^ I was listening to that this very morning! It's brilliant.

DrGreggles

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2020, 01:49:26 PM
I don't know if anyone's heard of it, it's a bit "off the beaten path" but I do enjoy one called "Nuggets"

I bloody love Nuggets.

Hasn't Andy Partridge championed it as essentially the template for The Dukes of Stratosphear?

alan nagsworth

I think madhair was being sarcastic! But either way since it's been brought up, I had this on in the kitchen while I cooked a Sunday roast this past weekend and it is absolutely fucking boss. "Liar Liar" by The Castaways, one of those songs I really wish was at least twice as long as it is.

phes

Not all obscure, but a friend has been doing a live lockdown mix each Saturday. Bless him, as a fallen DJ myself it's a highlight of my week at the moment

Tonight

https://www.facebook.com/brengentle/videos/2850917131653479/?sfnsn=scwshmo&extid=bqAZo4rAIDbbb54E&d=n&vh=e

Last Week's:

https://www.facebook.com/brengentle/videos/3655722011136294/

Crabwalk

*skips to two random points* *hears favourites from B52s and Marcos Valle* *bookmarks to watch in full tomorrow*

phes

They've certainly brightened my Saturdays. And, enviably, I know that he doesn't prepare this stuff - It's on the fly. Both mixes were about 30 minutes longer but for some reason he had to restart the stream on each occasion, which is where each begins. He did upload an uninterrupted version of the first one to Vimeo but the sound quality is bad.

phantom_power

Soul Jazz Records seem to be kings of these sorts of compilations. They have loads of great Ska, Afrobeat, Krautrock, Punk and all sorts of other genre compilations full of great stuff, and they are all on Spotify

Phil_A

I stumbled on this a while back and it's really worth sharing, it's a 10 hour mix of all kinds of wonderful electronic pop, new wave and italo disco classics

https://soundcloud.com/azuresunmusic/various-artists-french-kiss-fm-vol-1-side-1
https://soundcloud.com/azuresunmusic/french-kiss-fm-vol-1-side-2-1984-1989

Side 1 (1980-1984)

00 gotainer ft. coluche - pub inspecteur labavure
01 telex - twist à st tropez
02 grace jones - pars
03 lio - you go to my head
04 taxi girl - les yeux des amants
05 comix - pomme d'api
06 mathématiques modernes - paris tokyo
07 kid creole & the coconuts - maladie d'amour (mutant disco version)
08 lio - banana split
09 plastic bertrand - stop ou encore
10 alain bashung - gaby oh gaby
11 comix - l'amour gratuit
12 jo le maire et flouze - je suis venu te dire...
13 elli & jacno - moi et mon copain
14 cerrone - my look
15 tom tom club - l'éléphant
16 telex - brainwash
17 taxi girl - v2 sur mes souvenirs
18 gainsbourg - overseas telegram
19 the english beat - french toast (soleil trop chaud)
20 chagrin d'amour - chacun fait (c'qui lui plaît)
21 catherine deneuve - digital delay
22 shakatak - lumière
23 jo le maire et flouze - claustrophobia
24 honeymoon killers - histoire à suivre
25 telex - l'amour toujours
26 patrick coutin - j'aime regarder les filles (version club)
27 taxi girl - sos mannekin
28 patrick hernandez - can't keep it up
29 honeymoon killers - laisse tomber les filles (chick habit)
30 micky milan - quand tu danses
31 artefact - soviet comet/ sex computer
32 richard gotainer - le sampa
33 mathématiques modernes - disco rough
34 pete shelley - qu'est ce que c'est que ça?
35 telex - dream o mat
36 alain bashung - procession (extrait)
37 cerrone - you are the one
38 sister sledge - il maquillage lady
39 plaisir - fou de toi 1982
40 new paradise - gymnasique 1982
42 regrets - je ne veux pas rentrer chez moi seule
43 telex - basta
44 alec mansion - où es tu?
45 honeymoon killers - nationale 7
46 bibi flash - histoire d'1 soir (extended)
47 cerone - took me so long
48 micky milan - c'est une bombe
49 antena - sissexa
50 chagrin d'amour - bonjour (v'là les nouvelles)
51 cerrone - back track
52 elli et jakno - chanson pour olivia
53 didier makaga - minuit (l'heure du swing)
54 alec mansion - quand je serai grand
55 le club - front page news
56 cerrone - rendez-vous
57 trans-x - vivre sur video
58 new paradise - sophistication 1983
59 flyer - wanna get back your love 1983 (mix 1)
60 gotainer - pub lee cooper (le jean's)
61 kristal - été super
62 étienne daho - weekend à rome
63 isabelle adjani - ok pour plus jamais
64 mondino - danse des mots (maxi version)
65 alec mansion - dans l'eau de nice
66 caroline loeb - malibu (single mix)
67 kraftwerk - tour de france (french version)
68 bandolero - paris latino
69 rose laurens - zodiacale
70 caroline loeb - la nuit nous appartienta
71 didier makaga - chinginingin'up
72 pas de deux - rendez-vous
73 katia - party lights
74 telex - toujours l'amour (1984 version)
75 serge gainsbourg - love on the beat
76 eli et jacno - viens bébé
77 gotainer - pubs chrysler + vittel + printemps

Side 2 (1984-1989)

01 clio - eyes (paris mix)
02 plaisir - visa pour aimer
03 vero jannot & voulzy - désir désir pt.1
04 katia - la pin up des pick ups
05 le club - attentat à la couleur
06 the graphic - entrer dans l'amour
07 chagrin d'amour - c'est l'été yéyé
08 étienne daho - sortir ce soir
09 cameo - lève toi!
10 e & j - chica chica bongo
11 vero jannot & voulzy - désir désir pt.2
12 le club - masques à la une
13 jm jarre - zoolooklogie
14 hard corps - dirty
15 serge gainsbar - travaux
16 partenaire particulier
17 indochine - 3 nuits par semaine
18 ruth - mots
19 serge gainsbarre - travers
20 mikado - naufrage en hiver (version longue)
21 viktor lazlo - slow motion/ pub lee cooper '85 (jean-paul goude)
22 prince - girls & boys
23 muriel dacq - tropique
24 isa antena - seaside weekend
25 elli medeiros - toi mon toit (extended)
26 jane mas - toute première fois
27 charlotte - ouverture éclair
28 laurent voulzy - les nuits sans kim wilde
29 desireless - voyage voyage
30 viktor lazlo - matahari
31 les rita mitsuko - andy
32 prince - alexa de paris
33 niagara - l'amour à la plage
34 elli medeiros - a bailar calypso
35 trans-x - eyes of desire
36 kazero - thaï nana
37 jeanne mas - johnny johnny
38 mylène farmer - libertine (remix special club)
39 daniel balavoine - sauver l'amour
40 elli - bom bom
41 niagara - tchiki boum
42 isa antena - des câlins, des caresses
43 angela winbush - c'est toi (it's you)
44 serge gainsbourg - mon légionnaire
45 guesch patti - roule... tu dis
46 shakatak - l'aggio l'amour
47 claudia phillips - quel souci la boetie (extended)
48 à caus' des garçons
49 leopold nord et vous? - c'est l'amour
50 patti guesch - étienne étienne (extended)
51 serge - dispatch box
52 résidence nocturne - plus jamais pareil (instru)
53 sabrina - lady marmelade
54 kazero - woopy machine
55 thomas dolby - budapest by blimp
56 laurent - le soleil donne
57 les rita mitsuko - tongue dance
58 sarah mandiano - venus et l'aquarium
59 patti - cul cul clan
60 mylène farmer - sans contrefaçon
61 bambou - how much for your love baby?
62 les rita mitsuko - hip kit
63 gamine - voilà les anges
64 kaoma - mélodie d'amour
65 eartha kitt - c'est si bon (live)
66 elli - vanille
67 angela - ménage à trois
68 kaoma - sopanala
69 valli - light my fire
70 pat zamler - t'aurais pas vu l'amour?
71 gotainer - pub kodac (photo tac au tac)
72 bambou - quoi? toi? moi? t'aimer? tu rêves!

alan nagsworth

Not weird, but certainly wonderful: I've become a bit obsessed with Ostinato Records over the last week or so. An incredible ongoing project to bring "world music" to, er, the rest of the fucking world essentially. Love a bit of world music don't you lads, music from the world. Fucking hell what's this we're listening to? What scales are they? Oh that's right, it's music from the world. World music they call it. Like the Stereophonics but a bit further away.

Some of the stuff they've put out has been modern day recorded material (and of course they're excellent too) but my first taste was listening to the compilations of unearthed relics, like the mesmerising Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes from the Horn of Africa or the absolutely shit-hot Synthesize the Soul: Astro-Atlantic Hypnotica from the Cape Verde Islands. The blurbs for both of these are fascinating and I instantly fell head over heels in love for them. "Sweet as Broken Dates" has a rousing TED talk detailing the project which I strongly recommend watching if you want to get completely enraptured in a quarter of an hour. I felt like applauding it myself at the end, these guys are doing incredible work.

I'm tempted to order them on CD before they sell out as the artwork and packaging are lush and they contain booklets providing yet further information on this music's vibrant history. I've spent 20 years of my life as a music obsessive listening to almost exclusively western music and I feel like I really need to just abandon that as much as possible for a while and learn as much as I can about cultures and sounds I know next to fuck all about. During lockdown I have become quite fatigued by music at times and do not have as much of a strong desire to enjoy it but this has lit a fuckin fire up my arse and it's the most joyous I've felt about the art form in a little while.

I mean, fuckin HAVE SOME of this tune. If this shit doesn't make you want to skull endless fruity cocktails and dance yourself into a feverish sweat for 6 hours straight then you're DEAD INSIDE.

alan nagsworth

Ooh yeah I must have not noticed that connection first time around! Spicy stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

That looks great Phil.

I had this on yesterday. Ace Compliations really are ace!

It's on spotify but I found it tricky to find. So here's the link: https://open.spotify.com/album/613IxNj7k5A3Drw96YzVec?si=DOJKdoioSOONyrNasctLnQ

holyzombiejesus

Numero have a series of really good themed compilations, all in really snazzy packaging.

There was one of 80s obscure synthy stuff that was packaged like a SNES game, a 'soundtrack' to a non-existent film of cowboy noir that came in a film canister, a recent one of surfy softpop that came in a highschool yearbook and the next is a mix of smooth jazz (ew!) that comes in a mock up of a cigarette packet. Much of the music is a little smooth and funky for me but I did hear one of my favourite 'new' songs of the last decade on one of them so props.

http://www.numerogroup.com/d/the-cabinet-of-curiosities-a-numero-universe

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 05, 2020, 06:12:22 PM
That looks great Phil.

I had this on yesterday. Ace Compliations really are ace!

Just ordered this. I quite like the comps that Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs do for Ace but for some reason they're about twice the price of the label's other releases.

alan nagsworth

That Numero stuff looks ace, hzj. Looking forward to having a rummage.