Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird and wonderful compilations and mixtapes

Started by alan nagsworth, January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Been entranced by Elysia Crampton's dense DJ skills for years, but just listened to her comp of Andean Folk musics- https://soundcloud.com/eande/ocelote-origin-2020-ancestral-mix- and it's goddamned wonderful.  I've never heard these kind of loping funky beats from ye olde folk music before, and I listen to a fair bit of cumbia music.  I guess some of it is newer than I imagine. The track at about 35 minutes is particularly riotous.  Her own sets* are equally unique, but I'm glad she made this.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-vAUAu_aU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyB6J7Hk3sA&t=644s

chveik

yeah she's ace

I like Xan Coppinger's 'Music in Exile' series of dj mixes

https://soundcloud.com/bedroomsuckrecords/sudan

the mixtapes on the blog Tristes Humanistes are great, so much lovely obscure stuff from all over the world

https://tristeshumanistes.blogspot.com/

The Mollusk

Bump!

Here's a cracker which I'd forgotten about until just right this very minute, after listening to the marvellous Messer Chups and seeing it as suggested listening on Spotify:

QuoteLike Sputniks, the musicians are orbiting the earth, assimilating stimulations from the whole world. Igor Vdovin sends Russian sailors to Brazil and a gypsy band to outer space. Dima Vikhornov and Snegopady demonstrate what Russian folk music might sound like when played by Martians. Veteran DJs Krugozory (66 and 67 years old) confront pompous military marches with nursery rhymes, refining the melange with a bit of light Soviet jazz. Messer Chups pass Tchaikovsky's nutcracker into alien hands, where it is deconstructed and reassembled.

This highly individual kind of music, located somewhere between lounge, easy listening and radical experimentation is most of all cultivated by Moscow labels Snegiri/Legkie and Solnze Records. This scene's creativity is getting more and more recognition. Igor Vdovin has been hired as a producer by Russian superstar Zemfira. Bands like Messer für Frau Müller and Messer Chups are gaining popularity in the Western world. This mix of old and new, mysterious East and modern Europe makes this music so unique and fascinating. This compilation shows a somewhat different side of popular music in Russia. Welcome to Café Sputnik. Take off and enjoy!

This is such a fun compilation. The aforementioned surf/rockabilly/horror outfit Messer Chups' "Tchaikovsky Beat" kicks the whole thing off and gives a very solid representation of what you're in store for. The music is frequently camp, kitsch, amusing and downright groovy. John Waters and Quentin Tarantino would likely absolutely love it, if they don't already. I almost wish I'd remembered it a few weeks sooner so I could have enjoyed it on Halloween!

Brundle-Fly

Good call Mollusk. A fine comp.

I offer up Add N To X's Barry 7's two immaculate Connectors collections from the '00s.

Here's a nice selection from Bazza's second outing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snc2SsKCZbE&list=OLAK5uy_m-76drz7pZ6BIQZ1KBfhF2cCeN5YFY630

Johnny Textface

I vote to bump this thread as it's introduced us all to some great stuff. Love this thread. Any new recommendations?

holyzombiejesus

Love this Sky Girl compilation on Australian label Efficient Space, described as "A sentimental journey through folk-pop, DIY new Wave and art music micro presses 1961 to 1991."

Also, a repeated enormous recommendation of the Cairo/ Mississippi soul compilations. They're big heavy things (double or triple vinyl albums) and they're just incredible. Quite pricey and in demand now (latest is £45 at Honest Jons) and often have difficulties downloading compilations from Soulseek and then uploading them to my ipod without them splitting in to individual artists but they're definitely worth seeking out.

https://www.discogs.com/label/1483416-Cairo-Records-2

The Mollusk

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM

Fire Star: Synth-Pop & Electro-Funk From Tamil Films 1984-1989

I stumbled upon this once when the gorgeous cover art turned up on a totally unrelated image search. I had no idea that it would end up becoming a truly beloved collection of music. Western synth pop and disco had a big influence on Indian music around this time, especially in films, and Ilaiyaraaja compiles some of his favourites here, alongside three of his own songs. It's fucking wonderful. I've never played this in the company of friends without them wanting to know what it is.

Full compilation here.. If you want a track teaser, Pattu Engey is sickly sweet electro-funk perfection. One of those tracks you could drop in the middle of a house set and make people lose their minds. Those fuckin' harmonies in the second half, my days what a SCORCHER.

After nearly a decade of gushing over this thing like I did here, I finally bought a copy of this recently. The CD was about £30 (brand new) but it brought me so much joy to finally own it. The design of the sleeve/book is wonderful, and the detail given to describing each track's corresponding film makes for great reading (and discovering those films, though they are hard to find!). As an added bonus, I unwittingly ended up buying my copy from Edo, who actually compiled the record himself, so I was able to pass on my enormous gratitude via PM on Discogs.

The more I read about Ilaiyaraaja, the more fascinated I become. The dude's written over 7000 songs and soundtracked over 1000 Tamil films. During one productive year in the '80s, he wrote 70 soundtracks (more than one per week). He was the first Indian composer to introduce electronic instruments to film soundtracks and in India he's widely recognised as one of the greatest songwriters of all time. He's a bona fide motherfuckin genius and this soundtrack illustrates just a small amount of that talent magnificently. If you ain't checked it out yet, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Brundle-Fly

Pete Fowler's Monsterism compilations are suitably wonderful and you get lovely artwork to boot.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13230-a-psychedelic-guide-to-monsterism-island/

This Amazon review made me laugh. People are strange.

'I am looking for a CD that was an album in the mid-90s, Suede was the name on it. Filmstar, propping up the bar, driving in a car, it looks so easy, was one of the songs on it. It always puts me in a glamourous mood. This LIVE FOREVER THE BEST OF BRITPOP is not even close'.

The Mollusk

Woof, skimmed through the first couple tracks and already sounding hot as hell. Will deffo be launching into the rest of that tomorrow.

Brundle-Fly

If you like that, try and get hold of a copy of this reissue

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 14, 2022, 06:06:33 PMIf you like that, try and get hold of a copy of this reissue

Will do, cheers!

I'm probably going to do a thread on (former) Yugoslavian stuff at some point but feel I need to do a bit more digging first, while looking at a mix Youtube put me onto this Yugoslavian Doom thing as well, which sounds a lot like Molchat Doma type stuff but you know, the first time round... just need to figure out what directions things go in before I can wrap my head around it a bit.

willbo

I've seen on amazon you can get compilations for every country's Beatles/Garage 60s rock - Denmark, Sweeden, Spain, Japan. I always assumed I'd never hear other countries' rock n roll. I do want to get a French ye ye one at some point though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: willbo on January 14, 2022, 11:21:43 PMI've seen on amazon you can get compilations for every country's Beatles/Garage 60s rock - Denmark, Sweeden, Spain, Japan. I always assumed I'd never hear other countries' rock n roll. I do want to get a French ye ye one at some point though.

If you're interested in yeye and garage rock you'll love this:
https://wizzzcompilation.bandcamp.com/album/wizzz-french-psychorama-1966-1970-volume-1

imitationleather

Some amazing stuff in this thread.

Years back I listened to this one so much I would've worn it out if it hadn't been in mp3 format and so not negatively affected by repeat plays.

Sebastian Cobb

Will check that out! Ace records typically have decent 60's compilations. I've got this one and it's decent:

Brundle-Fly

willbo

I've always wanted one of those Ace beat girl compilations, but I can't choose one, and now I just stream the track listings. In fact...I'm tempted by this as it has so much and seems to cover all the singers I can think of. It even has a handful of French ye-ye songs on it.

willbo

What about the Pete Wiggs/Bob Stanley or Jon Savage selected ones?

What about the various 60s "freakbeat" ones and the ones for the late 60s psych of every year?

Sebastian Cobb

If you're leaning into the Ye-Ye stuff then I'm sure you'd love Jacqueline Taïeb – The Swinging Mademoiselle.

And Wizz!
https://wizzzcompilation.bandcamp.com/album/wizzz-french-psychorama-1966-1970-volume-1

willbo

ProvanFan

Sebastian Cobb

Realise this is mostly for genre compilations but given the genres that kept cropping up, I'm going to shove this one in here. Analogue Africa have released a compilation of the early years of the South African funk band The Movers and it's great. Was WorldwideFM's album of the week the other week.

https://analogafrica.bandcamp.com/album/the-movers-vol-1-1970-1976-analog-africa-nr-35

The Mollusk

This popped through my letterbox today and it is, as you'd expect, an absolute cracker. Rolling hillsides and misty mountains manifested in 25 tracks of soft, idyllic and druidic folk rock, packed to the gills with lush melodies and pleasantly quirky arrangements, and of course the beautiful Welsh language.

The physical copy not only contains a nicely detailed history of Sain and its political backstory from Gruff Rhys, but also every individual track is annotated with facts about the artists. Stuff like this makes owning these compilations absolutely essential for me - not to mention the fact that a lot of these tracks are 45s and so gathering them all onto a disc is without a doubt the best way to fling them upon eager ears.

Listening to this has made me happy tonight.

studpuppet

I reminded myself of this one - something a cousin of mine unleashed on me at the tender age of about 12 or 13. I remembered The Vets' World In Action, and being slightly un-nerved by Gentle Ihor's Psalm 151 ("OH LORD, THE TRUTH IS SHODDY!).*
There's also what might possibly by the first ever recorded output from Pulp on it (not that I was aware at the time).

Your Secret's Safe With Us

*Actually I was probably un-nerved by the northern pronunciation.