Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TED CAN'T HEAR YAH! A (belated) Hi-De-Hi! 40th Anniversary thread!

Started by Glebe, August 25, 2020, 07:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: kalowski on June 10, 2022, 05:41:19 PMApologies if I missed a conversation about this, but I was in the car today and for some reason Felix Bowness popped into my head. Does anyone know why he did the "You have been watching" bit in (angry) character whilst everyone else gave the camera a jolly wave?

Because he was an angry man who wanted to get his licence back from the Jockey Club.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 10, 2022, 07:29:08 PMBecause he was an angry man who wanted to get his licence back from the Jockey Club.

More to the point, he was the Noel's House Party warm-up man for a bit. Top gig.

Gurke and Hare

Reminder that the Hi-de-Hi Wikipedia page has a crazy level of detail about most of the characters.

When i was about 12 i saw paul shane walking across the road in Blackpool and said hi de hi to him and he told me to piss off. the fat ignorant unfunny cunt

Angst in my Pants

I said 'hello' to Su Pollard in the audience of a theatre workshop a few years back, she was so enthusiastically friendly, just as you'd imagine her to be.

"Ooh, I know you, don't I?" she said.

"No, no..." I replied, "I'm just saying hello, I think you're great".

"I do know you!" she insisted, "What have you been in?"

"Nothing showbiz, I'm a computer programmer."

"Oooh... I don't know you at all, do I! Oh well, I do now, don't I!!" she laughed.

kalowski

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on June 26, 2022, 12:05:35 PMI said 'hello' to Su Pollard in the audience of a theatre workshop a few years back, she was so enthusiastically friendly, just as you'd imagine her to be.

"Ooh, I know you, don't I?" she said.

"No, no..." I replied, "I'm just saying hello, I think you're great".

"I do know you!" she insisted, "What have you been in?"

"Nothing showbiz, I'm a computer programmer."

"Oooh... I don't know you at all, do I! Oh well, I do now, don't I!!" she laughed.
She was gagging for it

Glebe

Quote from: Spongo McChongo on June 26, 2022, 11:37:17 AMWhen i was about 12 i saw paul shane walking across the road in Blackpool and said hi de hi to him and he told me to piss off. the fat ignorant unfunny cunt

I don't want to hear that about Shane. I want him to have been a nice man.

Quote from: kalowski on June 26, 2022, 06:33:59 PMShe was gagging for it

Y'not wrong!

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: kalowski on June 26, 2022, 06:33:59 PMShe was gagging for it
Yes, I left out the sex bit as I don't want to ruin her chances in the next Yellowcoat try-outs.

Glebe

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on June 26, 2022, 08:26:38 PMYes, I left out the sex bit as I don't want to ruin her chances in the next Yellowcoat try-outs.

Miss Cathcart wouldn''t be too impressed either!

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 15, 2020, 03:21:29 PMLockdown has finally got me into Hi-De-Hi. Up to Series 5 now. It reminds me of Are You Being Served in one way - Grace Brothers is a really rubbish department store owned by a horrible man, Maplins is a really rubbish holiday camp owned by a horrible man.

Hmmm, granted he was bit stingy and you could probably accuse him of acting like a dirty old man by surrounding himself with attractive young nurses but otherwise Young Mr Grace came across as rather sweet and polite. Whereas Joe Maplin was a completely self-centred crook.

jenna appleseed

I have no memory of actually watching Hi, Di, Hi but probably did, do remember watching You Rang, M'Lord? and being convinced Sue Pollard's character was either a relative of her earlier character or somehow the same person (there was an episode that featured a photo of them younger & I think I got very confused).

gilbertharding

Quote from: Glebe on June 26, 2022, 07:11:53 PM

Last time I was in the shop Next, walking past the suits I had a terrible urge to shout "Ted can't hear you! Hi-De-Hi!!"

Glebe

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 29, 2022, 09:53:13 AMLast time I was in the shop Next, walking past the suits I had a terrible urge to shout "Ted can't hear you! Hi-De-Hi!!"

Heh!

gilbertharding

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Glebe on June 26, 2022, 07:11:53 PMI don't want to hear that about Shane. I want him to have been a nice man.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, Paul Shane appeared on an episode of "Come Dine With Me" (the normal people version) as one of his mates had hired him to open the door, greet guests etc etc before sodding off before the starter. None of the guests had a clue who he was.

Glebe

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 29, 2022, 02:42:43 PMNot sure if this has been mentioned, Paul Shane appeared on an episode of "Come Dine With Me" (the normal people version) as one of his mates had hired him to open the door, greet guests etc etc before sodding off before the starter. None of the guests had a clue who he was.

Those people are scum. Absolute scum.

poodlefaker

Once saw Paul Shane sitting at the bar in the Stage Door, Manchester, absolutely pissed, stinking of stale beer. Mark E Smith was in there at the same time, which was somehow fitting.

Glebe

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 30, 2022, 11:26:39 AMOnce saw Paul Shane sitting at the bar in the Stage Door, Manchester, absolutely pissed, stinking of stale beer. Mark E Smith was in there at the same time, which was somehow fitting.

"Mark can't hear yah-ah!"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 30, 2022, 11:26:39 AMOnce saw Paul Shane sitting at the bar in the Stage Door, Manchester, absolutely pissed, stinking of stale beer. Mark E Smith was in there at the same time, which was somehow fitting.

It's how he'd want to be remembered

Glebe

Hi-de-Hi? No, Boo-de-Boo! Su Pollard says Ruth Madoc's ghost pranked her.

QuoteSpeaking exclusively to the Sun-day Express, she recalled her mysterious encounter while performing in Jack and The Beanstalk. Ruth died on December 9, aged 79.

Su recalled: "The producer said to me, 'I'd love you to dedicate these next two shows to Ruth'.

"I made a little speech at the end. As I said, 'Thank you so much, she would've been delighted with the lovely tributes', my crown just went forward on my head.

"I said, 'Ruth is watching us. She's not quite ready to settle into heaven yet'. The audience applauded – it was fabulous."

Lovely stuff! Meanwhile, King Sausages fucked up the show's name!:

QuoteAnd on meeting Charles, she said: "We were doing an episode of Hi-de-Hi and he was appearing on Blue Peter. He said, 'Oh yes, that delightful programme Ho-de-Ho' and I said, 'No sir, it's Hi-de-Hi' and he said, 'Oh yes, of course'."

Su Pollard's one of the few major stars the East Midlands have produced, along with Englebert Humperdinck, Showaddywaddy, and Cornershop (Brimful of Asha).

Tony Tony Tony

As wonderful as Su Pollard is, she strikes as being the sort of personality that is always on show. I read the biography by her erstwhile husband Peter Keogh where he describes a visit to a restaurant where she burst in and spent the evening making loud and lewd comments about the other diners. She must have been exhausting to be with and I bet the episode where she finally gets the coveted Yellowcoat and is hospitalised with exhaustion isn't far from reality.

Her Wikipedia page is a hoot revealing that her showbiz career didn't get off to the most auspicious of starts...
QuoteFollowing an apprenticeship at the Arts Theatre in Nottingham, Pollard appeared on Opportunity Knocks in 1974, singing "I Cain't Say No" from Oklahoma!, and came second to a singing Jack Russell.

There must have been something about Jack Russell's and Opportunity Knocks as a relative of mine appeared on the show and his sponsor was a dog that had fathered hundreds of puppies.

Watched the recently repeated C5 bit on Hi De Hi hoping for something new but it was a real disappointment just being a rehash of stuff we had seen before. The only new bit was a touching piece from Barry Howard about how he was as given loads of chances by Jimmy Perry to quit drinking but couldn't so was dropped from the show. I always enjoyed Barry's subtly arch looks which were the very opposite of Su Pollard's over the top character.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 22, 2023, 10:39:09 AMSu Pollard's one of the few major stars the East Midlands have produced, along with Englebert Humperdinck, Showaddywaddy, and Cornershop (Brimful of Asha).
Ahem, TV's Gary Lineker wants a word. Plus Graham Chapman and board favourite Emma Kennedy (not sure about David Collins, possibly he was from Corby). Maybe you're right.

Glebe

jenna appleseed

Glebe

QuoteAnd on meeting Charles, she said: "We were doing an episode of Hi-de-Hi and he was appearing on Blue Peter. He said, 'Oh yes, that delightful programme Ho-de-Ho' and I said, 'No sir, it's Hi-de-Hi' and he said, 'Oh yes, of course'."

"Ho-de-ho, Su!"

Glebe

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 22, 2023, 01:23:03 PM
QuotePollard appeared on Opportunity Knocks in 1974, singing "I Cain't Say No" from Oklahoma!

Glebe

Duchess of York hurled bread roll at Su Pollard's head in brutal Grand Knockout trial.

Should have fucked a brick at Andrew instead.

Quote"Princess Anne had lips of string. I think she was a bit taken aback,"

Eh?!

Stay there, Su!