Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical gear wanking thread

Started by popcorn, September 27, 2020, 03:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Cheers for encouraging me to spend $2k on nonsense 2 days before moving into a house and 4 days before resigning from my overpaid job to become a do-nothing student. My wife thanks you for it. Still a question on whether it is a '65 vs a '95 but either way I want the bastard.

I had a danelectro U2 and I loved it to bits so suspect I'm be market for the 12 string version. Should have kept it really.

popcorn

Synthesisers are better than guitars!!!!!!

PlanktonSideburns

whats wrong with a contact mic stuffed into a swansealoaf

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on November 26, 2020, 10:35:03 PM

Is this the most absurd thing you've ever posted on here? It must be top 5.

Spiteface

Quote from: popcorn on November 26, 2020, 10:35:03 PM
Take 2 instruments into the shower?

Keytar, mate.

grainger

Edit: I was posting bullshit, so I removed it.

Marner and Me

Just brought myself a Native Instruments Tractor Z2 Mixer. For someone who has fuck all storage space being able to use my digital music collection as opposed to buying singles and also having to find duplicates in some cases, this is a game changer.

Ferris

Quote from: grainger on November 27, 2020, 12:25:19 PM
Edit: I was posting bullshit, so I removed it.

It's never stopped me.

NattyDread 2

For about the past 20 years I've only occasionally picked up a cheap old Argos classical guitar we have lying about the house. Always thought it actually sounded half decent, although after spending more time with it than usual on a rainy holiday in the Hebrides, I started thinking about getting something a wee bit better and getting more into playing again.

I was really only thinking about getting an acoustic, but when I mentioned it to a mate he handed me the guitar on the right. It's one of his early own builds which he wasn't happy with, said I was welcome to it for the price of the pickups as he wanted them for his next build. Since then I've been right back into it and it's thanks to this great wee guitar. Love it.

I still fancied an acoustic though and just this week took delivery of the £70 'Delta Blues' Harley Benton on the left. It's far better than I expected for the money. Granted I've never played a properly fancy acoustic, but this has the sort of sound I'm after as I'd like to get into playing some folky country blues sort of stuff (wrong thread, but any pointers appreciated) The action could be better, but compared to what I was used to it's superb. Might have to try one of their pricier numbers further down the line.

TL;DR got right back into the guitar lark for buttons. Just need a nicer amp for the leccy one now.

NoSleep

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on November 28, 2020, 09:20:48 PM
I still fancied an acoustic though and just this week took delivery of the £70 'Delta Blues' Harley Benton on the left. It's far better than I expected for the money. Granted I've never played a properly fancy acoustic, but this has the sort of sound I'm after as I'd like to get into playing some folky country blues sort of stuff (wrong thread, but any pointers appreciated) The action could be better, but compared to what I was used to it's superb. Might have to try one of their pricier numbers further down the line.

You could improve the action with some emery cloth (not too rough or smooth). Take the nut and the saddle off and sand the bases of both down evenly so that they sit lower. If it goes tits up and you take too much off, just buy replacements (lots of cheap options). A cheap guitar is ace for trying out your luthier skills with no regrets. Or get it done by a professional.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2020, 10:37:17 AM
You could improve the action with some emery cloth (not too rough or smooth). Take the nut and the saddle off and sand the bases of both down evenly so that they sit lower. If it goes tits up and you take too much off, just buy replacements (lots of cheap options). A cheap guitar is ace for trying out your luthier skills with no regrets. Or get it done by a professional.

Thanks for that. My guitar building mate did mention that it could be improved and lots of new guitars will sit too high. Sounds quite easy to sort it.

NoSleep

Just make sure you make the base of the nut and saddle absolutely flat, as the more solidly they contact the guitar the better the resonance; they are the two places where the vibrating string is in physical contact with the rest of the guitar. I usually lay out the emery cloth on a solid flat surface and just the press the saddle or nut's base down evenly as I rub them over the emery cloth. If you use a marker to the show the limit of how far you have to go you can avoid making it too low.

NattyDread 2

Nice one. Might buy some spares just in case I bugger it up.
Cheers!

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 25, 2020, 01:44:56 PM
My local guitar store has run out of Fender Mustangs for anyone who is following along with my tedious guitar buying plans (sorry), but the second hand place down the road has this absolutely beautiful 1965 one (in the right colours!) for about 1100 quid which I'm trying very hard to convince myself not to buy as it's about twice my original budget.

Wife has agreed I can buy this. Going to go look at it tomorrow.

Could be good lads. Could be very good.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 25, 2020, 01:44:56 PM
My local guitar store has run out of Fender Mustangs for anyone who is following along with my tedious guitar buying plans (sorry), but the second hand place down the road has this absolutely beautiful 1965 one (in the right colours!) for about 1100 quid which I'm trying very hard to convince myself not to buy as it's about twice my original budget.

Bought it, it is lovely. Original '65, serial number has it pre-CBS out of the Fullerton, CA plant.

No more posting for your boy Ferris today, gotta play the shit out of this.

Ok cheers.

Ferris

popcorn

?

Not sure what kind of synth that is.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on December 22, 2020, 11:55:36 PM
?

Not sure what kind of synth that is.

The man at the shop said "it's the best one" and why would he lie?

Exactly.

Ferris

Ferris

To go back to musical gear wanking, has anyone tried out these Amazon basic pedals Bezos et al seem to be flogging?

I've been looking at compressor pedals and that one came up on google for $38 (22 quid?) which seems too good to be true. Looks like they have a whole line, I'm assuming they bought a factory and are churning them out at cost to knacker the sales of competitors. It's also Amazon, and fuck Amazon (for real though).

NoSleep

Not sure whether this is the right place for this, but it is a rather impressive bit of gear:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUm0KbeO-E

And it looks like there's (at least) one in the UK (in Kingston-Upon-Thames): https://ccgx.co.uk/plek/

Bently Sheds

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 24, 2020, 07:14:55 PM
To go back to musical gear wanking, has anyone tried out these Amazon basic pedals Bezos et al seem to be flogging?
I know the 60 Cycle Hum guy did a review of a load of them on his YouTube channel, can't remember what his thoughts were.

I think they're rebranded Joyo pedals. I bought a Joyo Compressor pedal a long while back and, after a few months, the originally silent switch became a massively audible CLUNK in the output signal whenever it was stepped on.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Bently Sheds on December 27, 2020, 12:56:46 PM
I know the 60 Cycle Hum guy did a review of a load of them on his YouTube channel, can't remember what his thoughts were.

I think they're rebranded Joyo pedals. I bought a Joyo Compressor pedal a long while back and, after a few months, the originally silent switch became a massively audible CLUNK in the output signal whenever it was stepped on.

pretty sure they're rebranded Nux pedals.

They'll work, I guess, I don't use amazon on principal and there are plenty of other budget brand pedals, not to mention a used market where you could pick up an industry standard MXR dynacomp for £40 easy.

Nobody Soup

as an aside, the pedal market is almost comically piss taking when it comes to price, especially overdrives, there are ethical considerations you can take into account, such as where they're built and who came up with the circuit, but these are still essentially small circuit boards with less than 10 quids worth of components in them. yet you get companies like Vemuram that just copied the timmy circuit and stuck a £350 price tag on it.

the

Quote from: Nobody Soup on December 29, 2020, 01:29:15 PMas an aside, the pedal market is almost comically piss taking when it comes to price, (...) but these are still essentially small circuit boards with less than 10 quids worth of components in them.

I've often felt this way about certain controllers for music software, where you might be expected to pay many hundreds for an array of buttons and sliders that only send out control information, and contain no actual sound generation or amplification components. I think there's a lot of 'gullibility/affluence marketing' going on in music equipment price points.

Rizla

Yeah, pedals are really the wild west of gear, so much of the market is snake oil and go faster stripes. I had a brief interest in modding some of my Boss lads but I never got round to it - does the Keeley mod really make your SD-1 sound like a vintage tubescreamer? Sounds alright as it is, why sink £30 into a pedal that cost £20 s/h? Blue LEDs innit (lol brexit).

An aside re pedals - there's an interview with Chris Spedding from about 1973, when he was the no1 session man in london, where the interviewer asks him why he gets so much work, and he goes into an incredibly circumspect description of this magic orange box that only he owns that makes the guitar sound like an organ, which producers are prepared to pay him extra to use on sessions. It must be an MXR phase90 he's describing - it reminded me of the Sound On Sound article about Cher's "Believe", where the producers span some bullshit explanation of the vocal sound being achieved with a vocoder and talkbox, because they didn't want to spill the beans about autotune, it being a sort of dirty little secret of the industry at the time. Or my theory that Dave Davies bullshat the story about slashing the speaker cone because they didn't want other groups to copy their guitar sound, probably achieved with an early fuzzbox or  rangemaster, and liked the idea of them carving up their costly equipment to no avail. But I fear we've been through this before and it all got quite heated, so I'll stop now bye.

the

No-one said you have to tell the truth in interviews. :)