Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 24, 2021, 01:15:19 PM
I've been enjoying Iron Maiden's appearances in the repeats, but 'Bring Your Daughter...' really is a load of shit. The one highlight is that pathetic cackle he does.

The cackle reminded of Nags' Idles parody.

Egyptian Feast

Jockice

Quote from: icehaven on May 22, 2021, 04:11:16 PM
Yep it's specifically Neds that were known for that. I think it was mentioned in their tour film Nothing Is Cool, which I ended up watching in the late 90s when a mate had a brief obsession with them for some reason.

The singer has the same birthday as me. Just thought you'd like to know.

SullySullivan85

This PWEI "song" is fucking dreadful.

People laughed at the early Manics for being punk-posturing "Vibrators revivalists", but when the country's drowning in baggy-by-numbers soup, can you blame them? 

SullySullivan85

I like nearly all their other singles and Wise Up Sucker is my boxing entrance music.  Geriatric Millennials are, in short, a land of contrasts.

SullySullivan85

And International Bright Young Thing sounds like Feeder covering Tomorrow Never Knows, but a billion times better than it sounds. 

kaprisky

Quote from: daf on May 22, 2021, 04:23:55 PM
Never quite forgiven him for his horrible Blue Turtle jazz honking, but that song is fantastic!

Did you spot Melanie Griffith as the manicurist? Didn't they star in Stormy Monday together? And his missus is the one doing the dusting!

If '88 was the year of the needless remix, '89 was the year of the oiled up male dancer and '90 was the year of "aw, yeah!", then what will define '91?

Norton Canes

Prodigy type hardcore breakbeat? Though a lot of that overlapped into '92. Apart from Teen Spirit grunge didn't really make a massive impact on the UK singles chart in '91 did it?

Chicory

Quote from: kaprisky on May 28, 2021, 02:47:15 PMIf '88 was the year of the needless remix, '89 was the year of the oiled up male dancer and '90 was the year of "aw, yeah!", then what will define '91?

The year of 'some rap' - an uncredited, usually male rap artist doing a rap in the middle eight of a pop or dance track and then disappearing, presumably forever.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2021, 12:57:04 PM
(29) | BETTY BOO – 24 Hours   

Bah, humbug. A little insight into how la Boo's career would have gone if it wasn't for those first couple of killer solo singles. Uninspired. 

24 Hours really was a one off, the rest of her stuff was less in the Janet Jackson mould, and better for it.

Also, I know this may not be the most popular opinion, but Grr! > Boomania.

monkfromhavana

Pretty good 1st episode, good to see the KLF back in the studio. Honestly, I have never heard of The High, was this there only hit? Looks like Liam Gallagher might have nicked his "hands are bound behind my back whilst I wobble about a bit" from their lead singer.

Good to see the absolute twat Nicky Campbell get in his "wipe your arse with The Sun" bit. A beacon of humanity from the devilish one.

Icehaven

We've been spoiled for Crazy, think this is about the 3rd time he's been on doing it (not complaining at all, it's fucking great). Very Matrixy tonight, ahead of time clearly.

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 28, 2021, 08:31:51 PMHonestly, I have never heard of The High, was this there only hit?

I thought that too, they completely passed me by. Maybe The Charlatans eclipsed them.

Camp Tramp

This episode is dreary.

Not impressed by Acid Groove.

Camp Tramp

I spoke too soon. I'm enjoying Offshore for various reasons.

Icehaven

Oh god Astley. Horrid. If Cliff had unexpectedly dropped dead in the early 90s he might have had a career but it wasn't to be.

Chicory

'Cry For Help' is probably Rickroll's best song, like a clean wipeless poo is the best poo.

Sebastian Cobb

Just catching up.

That Geordie Boys is incredible.

daf

19 January 1991: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(26) | SOHO – Hippychick
(25) | BELINDA CARLISLE – Summer Rain (video)
(18) | ALEXANDER O'NEAL – All True Man   
(10) | BILL MEDLEY & JENNIFER WARNES – (I've Had) The Time Of My Life (video)
( 5 ) | THE KLF – 3 a.m. Eternal   
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(28) | THE HIGH – Box Set Go (video)
(27) | A TRIBE CALLED QUEST – Can I Kick It? (video)
(29) | THE STRANGLERS – Always The Sun (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(22) | STING – All This Time (video)
( 2 ) | SEAL – Crazy   

( 1 ) | ENIGMA – Sadness Part 1 (video)
(21) | RALPH TRESVANT – Sensitivity (video and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sebastian Cobb

The link at the end there seemed really quite awkward.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Chicory on May 28, 2021, 11:31:15 PM
'Cry For Help' is probably Rickroll's best song, like a clean wipeless poo is the best poo.

I'll always have a soft spot for it as it inspired Bob's second turn as Astley on BNO.

Sebastian Cobb

That episode was a shiter, with the exception of A Tribe Called Quest (video), and Tounge 'N' Cheek should be made to apologise to Patrice Rushen.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2021, 09:45:44 PM
That episode was a shiter, with the exception of A Tribe Called Quest (video), and Tounge 'N' Cheek should be made to apologise to Patrice Rushen.

If only for a Queen track I have never even heard of before keeping The KLF off the number one spot.

Catalogue Trousers

A Tribe Called Quest deserve credit, if nothing else, for sampling Jon Pertwee.

Egyptian Feast

I love 'Can I Kick It?' even more now I've seen Q-Tip actually kicking the word 'It'. I feel let down now when I hear that bass line and the sample that sounds like steel guitar & breaking glass doesn't follow, which makes listening to Transformer slightly less enjoyable.

Lou got all the royalties for that song and I bet he didn't even treat Herbie Flowers to a slap up meal of bangers and mash, the tight get.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 29, 2021, 10:23:57 PM
If only for a Queen track I have never even heard of before keeping The KLF off the number one spot.

I rather like Innuendo. Opens like Bolero, flamenco guitars in the middle, out like a steam train. Overblown throughout.

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 30, 2021, 12:31:30 AM
A Tribe Called Quest deserve credit, if nothing else, for sampling Jon Pertwee.

The version you heard in the UK was the Boilerhouse remix which added all the little extra bits like the Pete Tong vocal, they also added the excellent Ian Dury - What A Waste middle eight.

Boilerhouse also did a Von Trapp Mix sampling The Sound Of Music that never got a full release.

Quote from: kaprisky on May 28, 2021, 02:47:15 PM
If '88 was the year of the needless remix, '89 was the year of the oiled up male dancer and '90 was the year of "aw, yeah!", then what will define '91?

'91 was the year of songs about sex. I Wanna Sex You Up, Let's Talk About Sex, People Are Still Having Sex. Gett Off,  Things That Make You Go Hmmm,
Spoiler alert
Everything I Do, I Do It For You
[close]
. How liberated we were back then!

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 28, 2021, 03:04:00 PM
Apart from Teen Spirit grunge didn't really make a massive impact on the UK singles chart in '91 did it?
There was a grunge no.1 by a one-hit-wonder act in 1994.